cho iketeru

CR-1 Interview Experience Santo Domingo Consulate

3 posts in this topic

Before we had our interview in Santo Domingo, I read the interview experiences of others and they are pretty much spot on with the entire process. I will add my two cents worth to the discussion. The process was easy and straight forward. Only the long wait for the interview and constant back and forth to the window was annoying.

First, we decided to stay at the Napolitano Hotel instead of the Mirco Hotel because we wanted to have more options that being in Malecon offers. Since we decided to stay at the Napolitano which is on the opposite side of the city from the embassy, we had to pre-plan a little. The day before the interview we drove by the embassy to survey the area for parking and to see how long it would take us to get to the embassy from the Napolitano. There are several areas that offer parking within short walking distance to the consulate. These parking areas are not affiliated with the consulate. We paid RD$250 pesos for parking.

Our appointment was at 10am so we arrived at the consulate about 9am and stood in the line for Visas de Residencia. We were in line no more than 15 minutes before we were in the line fore security to get into the court yard outside the consulate building. We were ushered straight into the consulate building and given number 354. I looked up at the monitor and the highest number at the time was 278. I can say we were seated about 9:20am or 9:30am and that is where the wait began. About 10:15am we were called to give the representative all the original documents such as passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, police certificate, DS-260, medical exam, VAC confirmation, and interview letter. After another hour or so, we were told to go to another window and her finger prints were taken. Around 12pm, we were finally called for her interview.

The interview was very relaxed and short. The interviewer asked me if I was I more comfortable with Spanish or English. I told him English. The interview for my wife was in Spanish. After he swore us in, he only asked her five maybe six questions as follows:

How did you meet?

Who sent the first message?

Where did you meet the first time?

Who proposed?

What is your husbands job?

Do you understand the domestic violence pamphlet that you were given?

The interview was very relaxed and we joked a bit during the interview. My wife and I talked about this later but we thought the interviewer had already decided to approve us before we were called to the window. Everything was too relaxed and we were interviewed no more than 10 minutes. We were done about 12:15pm.

In preparation for the interview, we took questions from the wonderful VJ Posters and used them all. Two days before the interview and the day before the interview we went over all the questions. We had with us my updated tax return for 2014, complete copy of packet sent to USCIS, wedding photos, western union receipts, bank account info showing I added her as my spouse to the account, emails from 2011 to present, and cards I sent to her. The interviewer never asked us for any of the items we brought with us.

If you would like further details, please feel free to ask any questions.

Good Luck to All!!!

October 2011 - Met Online :D
November 2011 - First trip to Dominican Republic :dancing:

Jan 25 2014 - Married in Dominican Republic

May 14, 2014 - I-130 sent Phoenix Lockbox

May 16, 2014 - PD from USCIS Website

May 21, 2014 - NOA-1 hard copy received, Nebraska Service Center

Oct 17, 2014 - RFE notification by txt.

Oct 25, 2014 - RFE hard copy received

Oct 27, 2014 - RFE response sent

Oct 28, 2014 - RFE response received and signed for NSC

Nov 04, 2014 - NOA 2 received by txt message

Nov 21, 2014 - NVC received

Apr 06, 2015 - Checklist received from NVC by email

Apr 07, 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

Apr 08, 2015 - Checklist response received and scanned at NVC

May 01, 2015 - Case Complete :dancing:

May 13, 2015 - Received interview letter

June 10, 2015 - CR-1 Approved :dance: :dance: :dance:

Awesome review!!!! Congrats!!!

12/25/2013 - Officially became a couple

10/27/2014 - Married :wub:
12/26/2014 - Wedding Ceremony
02/20/2015 - NOA1
05/05/2015- NOA2
05/11/2015- NVC Received, Request for 2nd expedite
05/18/2015- Case Number assigned
05/27/2015- NVC/Embassy approved expedite request
05/29/2015- Case sent to Embassy
06/05/2015- Medical
06/08/2015- Vac Appointment
06/18/2015- Interview (APPROVED!!)
06/30/2015- Visa Issued!!! :dancing: :joy:
07/06/2015- Visa in hand
07/08/2015- POE (Miami)
07/18/2015- SS received

Awesome review!!!! Congrats!!!

Thank you and good luck to you as well. I could have made a more detailed review but a lot of what I would have said has been covered in other reviews. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

October 2011 - Met Online :D
November 2011 - First trip to Dominican Republic :dancing:

Jan 25 2014 - Married in Dominican Republic

May 14, 2014 - I-130 sent Phoenix Lockbox

May 16, 2014 - PD from USCIS Website

May 21, 2014 - NOA-1 hard copy received, Nebraska Service Center

Oct 17, 2014 - RFE notification by txt.

Oct 25, 2014 - RFE hard copy received

Oct 27, 2014 - RFE response sent

Oct 28, 2014 - RFE response received and signed for NSC

Nov 04, 2014 - NOA 2 received by txt message

Nov 21, 2014 - NVC received

Apr 06, 2015 - Checklist received from NVC by email

Apr 07, 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

Apr 08, 2015 - Checklist response received and scanned at NVC

May 01, 2015 - Case Complete :dancing:

May 13, 2015 - Received interview letter

June 10, 2015 - CR-1 Approved :dance: :dance: :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.