tsabbas

Opinions on K-3 now that I have new information

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I didn't file a K-3 and didn't intend to. But now I am seriously considering it. Would appreciate opinions form the experienced ones out there...and thanks for any replies.

Filed I-130 in December. Receipt date 12-16-14. Sent to TSC.

Received notice on 1-27-15 that case was transferred to NBC for faster processing.

Called USCIS in March to get processing times. Was told they were working on cases from late November. So far, so good.

Called again in late April to see if I could get more info. Was told file was transferred to local field office on 4-8-15. They didn't understand why and suggested I make appt. there. I did and was told on May 14 that it was being scheduled for interview. I questioned why and they said it was perfectly normal for this type of petition. What?? But okay, whatever.

June comes around and still no notice. So I go for another appointment today. Was told it would be at least a year before my interview! I was dumbfounded. Again I questioned this process but was told it was completely normal and within the standard time frame. :wow:

I do not mind being interviewed, but a year away? So I figure it will be at minimum 1.5 years before my husband will get here with that process, probably longer. So I am now seriously considering the K-3. Do any of you think it is worth the time and would result in him getting here somewhat sooner? I realize it's more expensive and he can't work right away but at the same time, it might eliminate a couple trips to see him which would save a lot of cost. Just totally frustrated and confused right now...

Thanks.

Edited by tsabbas

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

in this exact situation (I-130 petition sitting at local uscis office awaiting interview of petitioner prior to approval)

I say, yes, filing an I-129F, to chase a K-3, will be a godsend,

as

the I-130 casefile will not be joined up with the I-129F, at all.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Click on the spoiler in my signature. Btw. The k3 is a huge waste of time

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Timeline

in this exact situation (I-130 petition sitting at local uscis office awaiting interview of petitioner prior to approval)

I say, yes, filing an I-129F, to chase a K-3, will be a godsend,

as

the I-130 casefile will not be joined up with the I-129F, at all.

Thank you. I think I am going to try. It will be easy to complete the form and I have all evidence (plus more now) that I submitted prior.

Should I add more than what the instructions for form say? Such as more recent pictures and updated visiting information? I just visited a few weeks ago. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Think of this I-129F as a new petition - Include all that you had prior, plus the new stuff. Somethings amiss with the routing to a local office, they want to interview you. Or it's messed up on routing - one of the two.

With that said, yes, give over all stuff, those 6 items listed in the types of bonafide marriage evidence in the I-130 instructions. Treat it as a new petition, omit nothing, it has to stand on it's own as the I-130 will not be reviewed.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

[nota.bene. to anyone reading this - Yes, Yes, I am the King of Anti-K-3 Visa Chasing, but for the OP and the silliness that ensued, filing an I-129F to chase a K-3 will be a shorter route for her, the I-130 and the I-129F will not get joined up for USCIS adjudication, at all. ]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

This sounds really complicated and confusing! I'm guessing you are the USC in the U.S.? Why do they want you to go for an interview? And so long from now. Did they say the interview has to happen before you get the approval? I have no idea about this but very best of luck to you! Wishing you all the best

Timeline

This sounds really complicated and confusing! I'm guessing you are the USC in the U.S.? Why do they want you to go for an interview? And so long from now. Did they say the interview has to happen before you get the approval? I have no idea about this but very best of luck to you! Wishing you all the best

I agree about the complicated and confusing! Yes, I am the USC here. They gave no specific reason for interview; just said it was the normal process and that was my place in line. Doesn't make sense, but what can I do? And yes, the decision will come after the interview they say.

Thanks for the good wishes! And I hope all is well for you.

It happens occasionally. What is the local office btw?

Office is in Detroit. Luckily I live very close!

A USCIS interview for a standalone I-130 is not normal. There is something going on as to why that is happening, and it will probably happen with the I-129F as well.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

A USCIS interview for a standalone I-130 is not normal. There is something going on as to why that is happening, and it will probably happen with the I-129F as well.

That's what I thought too so I tried to ask them about it. They just just said they have hundreds of people waiting for interview for the same thing and that's why it's so long till my interview date. So, either it's become normal at the Detroit office or they have my application confused with something else.

I think I will also send an email to the local office director and also to USCIS since we will be over normal processing time in a few days I think. Maybe that will help...I just don't know.

If there becomes a problem with the I-129F also, I may just have to make a temporary move! I do have a home in Pakistan and a small farm with some buffalo. We could get by for a while. :)

Perhaps you acquired US citizenship through a prior spouse? Or you have a conviction that is relevant under the Adam Walsh Act (chiefly this concerns sexual offences against minors)?

These are the only things I can think of off the top of my head as to why they would interview you before adjudicating the I-130.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Perhaps you acquired US citizenship through a prior spouse? Or you have a conviction that is relevant under the Adam Walsh Act (chiefly this concerns sexual offences against minors)?

These are the only things I can think of off the top of my head as to why they would interview you before adjudicating the I-130.

Nope, neither. I was born here and I've never been arrested for anything. My only offense was one traffic ticket at age 16 for failure to completely stop at a stop sign! Other than that, I can think of nothing that could be wrong. I keep hoping there is just some kind of mistake somewhere. But in the meantime, I'll push on with K-3 and see what happens. It can't hurt at this point.

Imo. The k3 would possibly create a bigger delay. If they have an issue with the I130, What makes you think they won't have the same issue with the k3? They will match them up because they do name searches when they receive new cases to make sure there are no duplications. Then the k3 gets closed anyway. Call your congressional office and see if they can make an inquiry. They usually get a detailed answer. Calling the USCIS never gets a straight answer. They dont give out specific information over the phone anyway.

Edited by LoveMyTico

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Imo. The k3 would possibly create a bigger delay. If they have an issue with the I130, What makes you think they won't have the same issue with the k3? They will match them up because they do name searches when they receive new cases to make sure there are no duplications. Then the k3 gets closed anyway. Call your congressional office and see if they can make an inquiry. They usually get a detailed answer. Calling the USCIS never gets a straight answer. They dont give out specific information over the phone anyway.

You may be right...however, the info I'm getting now is that there is no problem, this is just normal processing. If that is true, then this is exactly what the K-3 was meant for and it should work. :)

If not, then there will be a problem with the K-3 and at least we will know that there is a problem and can work on it.

So either way, it seems the K-3 can only help at this point. At least it will keep me hopeful and from being too pessimistic!

But, I may consider following up with our congressional office in a while just to see what they can find out.

On another note, can information be added to the I-130 file? If I'm sending new and updated info, pictures, etc, with the I-129F, should I also send it to be added to the I-130 and would it be helpful?

Thanks everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.