7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello!
I have doubts about something: On my AOS I had to put my "legal name" and then the name I wanted on my green card. Ok.
I got my EAD with my new name, which now has my second name as my first name, and my husband's last name. I went to get my SSN with my EAD and they said they could not issue me a SSN because my "new name" doesn't match the name on my passport. She said I needed to keep my first name.
I don't understand it. Why can't I use my second name as my first? Is not like I am inventing a name.
Can someone help me? :)
Thanks!

Timeline

Hello!

I have doubts about something: On my AOS I had to put my "legal name" and then the name I wanted on my green card. Ok.

I got my EAD with my new name, which now has my second name as my first name, and my husband's last name. I went to get my SSN with my EAD and they said they could not issue me a SSN because my "new name" doesn't match the name on my passport. She said I needed to keep my first name.

I don't understand it. Why can't I use my second name as my first? Is not like I am inventing a name.

Can someone help me? :)

Thanks!

Hi,

Like everything here in US it always depends on who you get to. I was able to change my name with me certified marriage certificate. First the young lady refused to do so because she told me I had to let ''Immigration'' knows about my marriage and I said it didn't make sense, explained the K1 process and eventually she changed my name on it mainly because I was backed up with SS info. Just tell them it wouldn't match your passport because it's your maiden name and that's what's the K1 Visa means: Entering into the US SINGLE to get married to an US Citizen.

Please check: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3749/How-do-I-change-or-correct-my-name-on-my-Social-Security-number-card?

Also show the attendant the SS requirements: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

As of now you don't have your stamp but make sure to take your AOS I-797 to prove you're currently on the AOS process, don't forget your I-94, EAD, Marriage Certificate, passport and any other kind of ID you have.

Umm, you can change your last name because of marriage, but not the first name - you'd need a court order for that.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Umm, you can change your last name because of marriage, but not the first name - you'd need a court order for that.

Rtor1 is correct on what they are saying about how to change a name.

But like milimelo said it is your last name you can change only.

Marriage gives you the legal right to change your last name to either your partners last name or to mix your last name with your partners.

It does not give you the right to change your first name.

You cannot just take your surname and start using it legally as a replacement first name.

You need to change your first name through the courts not uscis or the SS.

You would need to petition your new name and pay for the change.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Call and ask your local court about name changes through marriages. Some states will not even allow you to change your middle name through marriage, just the last name. Changing your first name will most likely require a court ordered name change.

~ Moved from K-1 Progress Reports to AOS from Family Based Visas - OP is past K-1 phase and topic is changing name after marriage ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I was completely considering the last name issue. Users are right and you need to go to your local clerk and file a petition for name change. Keep in mind that in some places (For instance here in VA) you can't change your name unless you're a legal resident for at least 6 months. They should have instructions and forms online. Here it takes up to 6 months to be successfully completed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.