TomoZeeka

Passport Expiration

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey guys!

I am about to start on this K-1 journey and am very excited to get everything started! My question is in relation to my passport expiration date. My passport is due to expire in August of this year, would I be able to submit the visa now? (in June) with my current passport that is expiring in August or should I apply for my new passport and then submit the visa with that passport?

I'm not sure if passport numbers etc stay the same as I've had this passport for 10 years and haven't needed to get a new one in my adult life. I should also mention that I am currently in the US with my fiance to plan everything for the wedding and for when I move in so I would also need to know if getting my new passport would make my current passort invalid as I may still need to travel on it (I leave back to the UK in early August)

Thank you in advance for any help that can be provided, I assume I'll be needing a lot of it in the future! Hopefully I can also help some of you guys here <3

You can submit now and bring your old and new passport to the interview.

Also remember not to make set wedding plans until the visa is in hand, you never know how long the whole process will take.

If your passport sets to expire in August and you are coming back in August, you could apply for a fast track passport service, which takes a week and have a new one before your interview.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Timeline

You can submit now and bring your old and new passport to the interview.

Also remember not to make set wedding plans until the visa is in hand, you never know how long the whole process will take.

If your passport sets to expire in August and you are coming back in August, you could apply for a fast track passport service, which takes a week and have a new one before your interview.

Thank you so much for the reply! I definitely wanted to start the process while I'm still here so we have the least amount of time apart as possible! My concern was that of them not accepting my application because of the expiration happening fairly soon, good to know that I can go ahead =)

Thank you so much for the reply! I definitely wanted to start the process while I'm still here so we have the least amount of time apart as possible! My concern was that of them not accepting my application because of the expiration happening fairly soon, good to know that I can go ahead =)

You don't have to worry about you passport expiring for your fiancé to submit a petition. That is only Part 1. It is not the visa application. That comes after petition approval when the case gets to the embassy in London. You can have a new passport with a new number when you appear at the embassy in London to interview for the visa. Positive. I know lots who had new passports before the interview.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

You don't have to worry about you passport expiring for your fiancé to submit a petition. That is only Part 1. It is not the visa application. That comes after petition approval when the case gets to the embassy in London. You can have a new passport with a new number when you appear at the embassy in London to interview for the visa. Positive. I know lots who had new passports before the interview.

That definitely clears things up, thank you! I will be able to get a new passport within a week of me arriving back in the UK so I'll have the new passport available for the next parts of the process =)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I just wanted to comment on the thing that worried me most: do not make definite plans about your wedding before you get your visa! So many people here make the mistake of booking venues, caterers, photographers etc and then they end up losing a bunch of money because they did not get a visa in time for the date they set. Don't set a date until you have a good sense of when you'll have your visa or wait until you do have your visa.

Yes, if you get a new passport now while you're in the states your current one will become invalid. You can apply with the current one and then apply for a new one, just bring both to the interview.

I myself renewed my passport just before my interview. I even submitted DS160 with my old passport. I re-did a new DS160 and brought my old passport to the interview as well as the new one. I mentioned this to them but they didn't even care for it. So yeah don't worry about it just make sure you have your new passport before your interview.

PS. good to see fellow british moving to seattle :)))

Patience Is A Virtue - [The Beneficiary]

AOS From K1:
Approved 26th of September 2016

ROC:

Approved: 16th August 2019 (July 2018 Filer)

N400

Filed online: November 25th 2019

April 27th 2021: INTERVIEW APPROVED - Officially a US citizen - the End! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.