dsldesch

Let's blow up the USCIS...on social media

66 posts in this topic

I was waiting for a k1 visa when the twin towers fell. All visas were put on hold for about a year. Immigration was moved into the shell of DHS. I was told at that time by various government representatives, that as far as immigration goes, DHS answers to no one. There are no checks and balances. They do whatever they deem appropriate, and for whatever reason they wish. When they finally did issue visas, there was such a backlog that they just issued thousands of them at the same time with what was apparently no proper security checks on the immigrants. If my government wants me to believe that they are acting in the peoples best interest, they will have to re-establish checks and balances for the citizens of this country.

I doubt there are many "checks and balances" done when some lucky people can be approved for a petition in a matter of days at the CSC. Those sorts of timelines show how little actual work goes into approving/not approving a petition.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I doubt there are many "checks and balances" done when some lucky people can be approved for a petition in a matter of days at the CSC. Those sorts of timelines show how little actual work goes into approving/not approving a petition.

Everyone goes through FBI. No one gets approved without that check.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I cannot say absolutely, however, at the time that they finally approved the many thousands of applications after 9-11, I don't believe that they followed perfect security protocals. I do believe that they have a policy of doing so, however, I am not sure there is anyone in authority checking on DHS. From what I have been told, at least in immigration they are not held accountable by any other branch of the government, except possibly the President?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I suppose you like many others had zero involvement in immigration issues until it affected you. It also affected me but I wasn't an American citizen & always realized what a privilege it would be to come to live in the USA.

You chose the timing of what you entered into. That is what controls the beginning of the process. I think its all about awareness & accountability because that's what they check into to inform the govt about those very things.

I agree that there are many attempts to push the govt to provide faster service but like yours they are directed towards the wrong offices & people. Its an indication of how awareness of who is actually accountable by those that create these petitions is lacking.

Nothing wrong with complaining but dont forget it was you two that decided on the USA & when to file.

My first bout with immigration was before/during 9-11. I am almost entering round 2. I am striving to have less ignorance as I move forward. First, I would say, I do not find this process insurmountable. I do find some of the aggressive feelings against immigration to be nonproductive. However, in my lifetime, I would also state that the American government has become less and less service oriented towards it's citizens. We as citizens have almost zero way to approach and change the process, at least in reasonable fashion while we are in difficult process. We have to work too hard to survive, (on average) to have the energy to change laws. Money has access, more than people. There is really no one to call to change things. We can take some comfort in the fact that if the process took longer, than it would take for the people to change a law, on average, the people could and would, then take action. It is sometimes small comfort.

Edited by Mightbebeyondme

Everyone goes through FBI. No one gets approved without that check.

True but that check is probably just entering details into a computer and getting back results, similar to the police clearance certificate. I doubt the people working on the petitions "investigate" everyone involved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

True but that check is probably just entering details into a computer and getting back results, similar to the police clearance certificate. I doubt the people working on the petitions "investigate" everyone involved.

Yeah but if you've done something bad that is worth putting you into their system, they will find it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.