dsldesch

Let's blow up the USCIS...on social media

66 posts in this topic

It is very tough to wait for...but it will be worth it!

K-1
03/09/12 - NoA1
10/04/12 - NoA2 (210 days)

AoS

01/25/13 - NoA1
08/15/13 - NoA2 (199 days)

RoC
05/21/15 - NoA1

11/02/15 - NoA2 (164 days)

N-400

08/18/16 - NoA1
03/14/17 - Interview

03/16/17 - Oath Ceremony (217 days)

US citizen

Total time start to finish: 5 years, 12 days (1,838 days)

I keep reading about how slow the TSC is and how fast the CSC is and having gone through CSC, I can tell you that this isn't always the case. We filed at the end of January and only got approved on 1 May. We had an RFE that they only pulled up in April. However, our case was approved within the current timeline which is 5 months. Is it frustrating to see other applications being approved within a few weeks, yes, but as everyone keeps saying it's not a right, it's a privilege.... We're all in the same boat together and it's being stuck in a limbo that's most frustrating.

Anyway, my point is, moaning about one service centre or another isn't going to resolve anything - the most it will probably do is create a backlog somewhere else in the system. I wonder how many applications these people are dealing with every day.

People who run the social medias are not the same people who go through the papers and what not. Clogging up their twitter or facebook will do absolutely nothing. Might make you feel a little better but it won't get anything done in the long run, if anything the only thing you're going to do is put a strain on those social media workers and they had nothing to do with any of this.

Yea my NOA2 came fast, but I was expecting a 5 month wait and had no intentions of bothering them or complaining until that 5 months came along, but once 5 months came yeah they woulda heard from me. My fiance and mine's plan was to simply wait, I guess we've had the "luxury" of waiting as a normal part of our relationship anyways, but we know this wait is worth it.

We have the privilege to have our loved ones come here. They do -not- have to allow us to do that.

With that said, I'm sure that there's simply multiple people who scan it all into the system then plop those folders into a bin and then those bins get distributed to the people who do the actual work on the folders. That's most likely why people weeks ahead of me didn't get their NOA2 but I did. My folder coulda been thrown on the top of the folder pile and happened to get grabbed first.

If I expected them to sort by date received before doing their paperwork process, I would also have to expect them to take longer due to the sheer amount they receive.

You can have it more "orderly" and you can have it to where you get your stuff before someone after you, but it would most likely be at the cost of it STILL taking longer because now you have this sorting process that probably didn't exist.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I suppose you like many others had zero involvement in immigration issues until it affected you. It also affected me but I wasn't an American citizen & always realized what a privilege it would be to come to live in the USA.

You chose the timing of what you entered into. That is what controls the beginning of the process. I think its all about awareness & accountability because that's what they check into to inform the govt about those very things.

I agree that there are many attempts to push the govt to provide faster service but like yours they are directed towards the wrong offices & people. Its an indication of how awareness of who is actually accountable by those that create these petitions is lacking.

Nothing wrong with complaining but dont forget it was you two that decided on the USA & when to file.

I wasn't ignorant to immigration issues before this, but the K1 process is where I've learned the most because it has affected me personally and that's simply how humans tend to build their awareness (regardless of the issue in question). If trying to make changes with USCIS is barking up the wrong tree, by all means, tell me more. I'm open to learning. In fact, I want to learn more. All my life I've known my family came to the US through immigration (as recently as my grandfather on my mother's side and great grandparents on my father's), and I've met many friends who've immigrated to the US for personal reasons and as refugees. Each of these things has shown me how troublesome the entire immigration process is, but as I said, what I've learned about immigration has been largely constrained to the K1 process, so it seemed a fair place to start. Seriously, though, if my efforts to produce some sort of positive change are misdirected, please, point me in the right direction.

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You keep in mind that my sharply-worded comments on yelp.com recently took down a muffin store

Sheldon

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

You keep in mind that my sharply-worded comments on yelp.com recently took down a muffin store

Sheldon

I'm not sure if your comment is meant for me or others who've contributed to this thread, but I'm not surprised. Social media is a very powerful force when used in the right way, and it can generate a lot of publicity that can yield influence in a lot of ways.

I don't think it's wrong to demand better practices in processing petitions. I don't mind if everyone has to wait five months like they say, but it shouldn't be any longer than that for the average application (I fully understand extraneous cases or multiple RFEs could easily push anyone past any set amount of time). Just because something is a privilege doesn't negate the right to due process.

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

If my efforts to produce some sort of positive change are misdirected, please, point me in the right direction.

Dsldesch, go for it man! Building awareness won't hurt. Sure, some xenophobes will critical - but those are deaf ears - ignore them. Who knows, you might make an impact and you might not. Does that mean you shouldn't try? At the least, it can help you feel occupied. It can help make you feel heard. And if your efforts get to the USCIS or management, then even if you see no result, at least you get to let them know how this delay has affected you and other's lives.

It's not a right or privilege, but without immigration, this country would not be as successful as it is now. For all the bad things people want to say about America, this country still has the highest immigration rates and a LOT more people come here then say....well, let's just say 'some other countries'! For all the bad things some may say about immigration, our economy would be a lot weaker if we didn't have such a large immigrant population.

I don't know if your idea will make a difference or not, but you know what Dsldesch? Give 'em hell, man! Give 'em hell! (but not so much hell that you don't get your NOA2!!!)

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

It will all work out, there are certain things that we cannot rush, they could also take it wrong.. I mean, they get thousands of letters and call from angry people.. it's a lot to deal with not only for us but for them too... we don't know how it is in their offices and how busy it might be

K1

AOS

ROC

09/14/2017 : Package Sent (CSC)

09/15/2017 : Package Received (CSC)

09/15/2017 : NOA1 Date

10/12/2017 : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

N400

09/01/2018 : Application Sent (online)

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

--/--/---- : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

So it's not gonna be easy.

It's going to be really hard;

we're gonna have to work at this everyday,

but I want to do that because I want you.

I want all of you, forever, everyday.

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Sheldon

If only USCIS were on yelp.com!!

5/21/2016: Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

5/23/2016: NOA1

7/29/2016: Biometrics Appointment

11/22/2016: I-751 Approved!

oprahbees.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I keep reading about how slow the TSC is and how fast the CSC is and having gone through CSC, I can tell you that this isn't always the case. We filed at the end of January and only got approved on 1 May. We had an RFE that they only pulled up in April. However, our case was approved within the current timeline which is 5 months. Is it frustrating to see other applications being approved within a few weeks, yes, but as everyone keeps saying it's not a right, it's a privilege.... We're all in the same boat together and it's being stuck in a limbo that's most frustrating.

Anyway, my point is, moaning about one service centre or another isn't going to resolve anything - the most it will probably do is create a backlog somewhere else in the system. I wonder how many applications these people are dealing with every day.

The people at TSC would do just about anything to have an approval time of 4 months.

Most of these people have been waiting 7-8 months.

So you can't really compare the two.

Edited by AirConditioner515

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I love this site. Someone poses an idea and then gets pounced on. I really thought the point of this site was to be supportive to each other as we go through this road together. But, again I guess I was wrong. For example, when I first registered on this site after I sent off my i129f, I had a simple question which was related to wait times for nOA2 if both my fiance and I had no children, criminal records, etc. I had no clue about the process at that point, and immediately i received responses like, "it will have no effect", or "just get in line with rest of us", or "prepare for 11 months and be happy with 6." I was not trying to cut in front of anyone, just asking what to expect. That's why I rarely post anything because I may get flamed like the OP is. Geez.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I wasn't ignorant to immigration issues before this, but the K1 process is where I've learned the most because it has affected me personally and that's simply how humans tend to build their awareness (regardless of the issue in question). If trying to make changes with USCIS is barking up the wrong tree, by all means, tell me more. I'm open to learning. In fact, I want to learn more. All my life I've known my family came to the US through immigration (as recently as my grandfather on my mother's side and great grandparents on my father's), and I've met many friends who've immigrated to the US for personal reasons and as refugees. Each of these things has shown me how troublesome the entire immigration process is, but as I said, what I've learned about immigration has been largely constrained to the K1 process, so it seemed a fair place to start. Seriously, though, if my efforts to produce some sort of positive change are misdirected, please, point me in the right direction.

Change by the people is part of the foundation of the government so there is nothing wrong with seeking change but you will have to know which tree to approach before you bark. USCIS is just a branch .

I think you should do whatever pleases yourself including becoming an advocate for change. Be the voice I see on T V demanding change. Find your U S Senators & other reps where you can demand & monitor their actions. You will find the right direction which should lead you to Congress & lobbyists offices. They are all concentrated in a fairly small area of Washington for ease of travel once you go into action.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I love this site. Someone poses an idea and then gets pounced on. I really thought the point of this site was to be supportive to each other as we go through this road together. But, again I guess I was wrong. For example, when I first registered on this site after I sent off my i129f, I had a simple question which was related to wait times for nOA2 if both my fiance and I had no children, criminal records, etc. I had no clue about the process at that point, and immediately i received responses like, "it will have no effect", or "just get in line with rest of us", or "prepare for 11 months and be happy with 6." I was not trying to cut in front of anyone, just asking what to expect. That's why I rarely post anything because I may get flamed like the OP is. Geez.

You should have a clue about the process BEFORE you send in forms, then you can avoid asking questions with obvious answers. Immigration is a big life-changing deal, anyone looking to immigrate needs to do their research, there's no real excuse not to do it when this site exists. People not doing their research before they send in incomplete forms make the whole process slower for everyone else, that can be frustrating to a lot of people.

Blowing up Twitter sounds like a good way to make USCIS hate you. I don't think it's worth the risk.

Shaun (USA) & Stephanie (Canada)

● First met online: 2008
● First visit (and first date): August 2009
● Engaged: January 1st 2014
● I-129F sent: April 15th 2015
● NOA1: April 22nd 2015

● NOA2: May 27th 2015

● NVC Received: July 1st 2015

● Consulate Received: July 8th 2015

● Packet 3 Sent: July 13th 2015

● Packet 4 Received: August 18th 2015

● Interview Date: October 2nd 2015 - APPROVED!

Visa Received: October 9th 2015

Border Crossed: October 15th 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Blowing up Twitter sounds like a good way to make USCIS hate you. I don't think it's worth the risk.

Agree. If they can find your Facebook they can find your twitter. People should think twice about what they post on social media.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.