dakobert

Driving with home country's drivers license while in AOS???

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Commune?

This is Murica!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Commune?

This is Murica!

k

duh but even at the car dealer are u supposed to show them a international driver license..cause I was driving in Murcia without and they said with won't it be that much a problem than without. and on post is it smith different anyway

Our Story

I'm the benificary

First met: August 23rd 2013 (F)
Engaged: November 13th 2014 :wub:
I-129f sent: March 20th 2015
Received by USICS: March 25th 2015
Mail notification + Case accepted and routed to CSC:
March 27th 2015

NOA1 hard Copy received: April 4th 2015 :dancing:

Mail notification - Petition Approved NOA2: May 8th 2015

B-) NOA2 hard Copy received: May 15th 2015 :thumbs::dance:

Called NVC & Received Case NR: May 29th 2015 :thumbs:

At NVC: Since 21th May 2015

Stuck at AP :clock:

left NVC/ In Transit to Frankfurt: 3rd June 2015 :dancing:

Ready at Embassy Frankfurt: 5th June 2015 :wow:

Packet 3 received: 11th June 2015

DS-160 Submitted: 16th June 2015

Fee paid: 18th June 2015

Package 3 sent: 13th July 2015

Ready to schedule Interview: 16th July 2015
Medical passed: 21st July 2015

Interview: 5th August 2015 :star: -> Approved

POE: 27th August 2015

Date of Marriage: 3rd September 2015 (L):luv:

:energy::energy::energy: :energy: :energy::energy:

AOS

Timeline

I just showed my Euro license.

The funny thing was it was easier to rent in the UK using my US license.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

But i asked at the Commune here and over in the us..i am allowed to drive with the license

So maybe we are just debating the terminology.

I do not agree that there is an "international" driver license issued by the world or God that grants you permission to drive anywhere. Each place you drive has to allow you to drive. There is something called an International Driver Permit that would translate a foreign license into English so the place where you are driving or renting a car can be assured you have been licensed to drive in your home country. So if the place says yes to driving on a foreign license or renting on a foreign license they might want to see that IDP to help them with the foreign language and know that somebody has verified you are a licensed driver.

I often see people post you can drive in TX or CA if you simply get an international license. Only if that state says you can. And then there's the debate of am I still visiting or am I a resident if I'm a K1 with not much on paper that says I can stay but 90 days.

I am not arguing that an IDP is of use or maybe even required. I am clarifying that it does not grant any worldwide privileges to go drive anywhere, overriding local law.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

There is not such thing as an International Drivers Licence, there is an International Drivers Permit which is essentially a translation of your home country license.

If you have the crappy Euro style DL's you should not need it. Before the Euro licenses I had a IDP to drive in France etc.

Every State is different, you might as well look at them as different countries.

Insurance, never did get to the bottom of that, I think in Colorado they have to indemnify you to the State minimum which is ####### all less 10.

But i asked at the Commune here and over in the us..i am allowed to drive with the license

I agree with Boiler. There is no such thing like an international DL or permit. Its just a translation of your home countrys DL in multiple languages. California e.g. doesnt care about that one, they dont accept and IDL as a license, you must have your original DL. The issue I tried to address here, is the limbo of being nothing, no resident nowhere, and hence becoming your home country's DL invalid. It sounds stupid, but this is the law. You may lie to the officer, saying you are on vacation here and use your German DL, but by leaving Germany and not being a visitor to the U.S., you have to get a U.S. DL, and until then, you are simply not allowed to drive any longer.

Sabrina&Chuck, to transcribe your German DL, I don't know, try it, but what is basically written on that webpage is like getting a new one. Each states differs, but here in CA is no such transcription, its simply taking the theoretical and practical examination and paying your 30 USD.

Edited by dakobert

Hello Fellows,

I have a concern about my situation at the moment. So, I've been driving with my home country's drivers license in the U.S., and I have applied for AOS. However, I'm in the process of getting my california drivers license, and noticed it said, they recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident. So, what am I now, I'm not really a resident in my home country right now, but neither a permanent resident in California??!! Does it mean, I'm actually not supposed to drive anymore? Even though, it would be just legal if I was here on a semester abroad, or as a tourist?

I really appreciate other's opinions!!!

On the CA Website it states:

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

If your foreign license is still valid, then that last sentence is what matters. If you are still unsure or worried, go to a courthouse/town hall doing traffic court, speak to the clerk stating you'd like to talk to the judge, if possible, after his/her cases are completed and ask them about it. These are subjective questions, open to interpretation. Having a conversation with someone that makes those interpretations every day certainly won't hurt.

Also, when you do go for your CA license, find out if you have to surrender your foreign license...in NY you do, see below:

When you pass your road test, you will be required to surrender your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office will destroy your foreign driver license after 60 days. If you plan to return to your home country and will need your foreign driver license, ask the road test examiner how to make sure that your foreign driver license is not destroyed.

Again, that's for NY, but, it is something you should inquire about in CA, if you'll need that foreign license again.

11/04/2011 - Married San Diego, Venezuela
12/01/2011 - I-130 Sent to Chicago Lockbox
12/05/2011 - NOA1, Vermont Service Center
06/25/2012 - NOA2 Approval
10/03/2012 - NVC processed IV Application and assigned interview date
11/07/2012 - Interview at US Embassy in Caracas - APPROVED
11/20/2012 - Visa Received
12/17/2012 - Arrival home in Buffalo, NY, PoE = Aruba

Lifting Conditions

09/26/2014 - Filed I-751 - VSC

10/15/2014 - NOA

11/10/2014 - Biometrics at Buffalo, NY Field Office

06/10/2015 - Update to case stating new green card is on order. Approved!

06/16/2015 - Update to case stating new green card was shipped with tracking number

06/18/2015 - New Green card arrived!

Timeline

NY thing is unusual, just do not take it with you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

When i first arrived here in Hawaii, i went to see them to change my Australian licence for a US one with marriage certificate, proof of residence etc...., first of all, cannot change a foreign licence, so have to go thru both written and driving test. however they can only give me a licence only valid till my I94 expires which is not much good. They told me with my Australian licence and international licence together, (note international licence only works if you have a valid foreign licence, on its own, it's nothing), i can drive for one year, that gives me plenty of time after reception of green card to acquire my state driver's licence. Maybe different state si different...........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Back in the early 2000s when I moved to California, I had to retake the drivers test and a written (a pretty short multiple-choices test). But compared to what we have to do to get a DL in Sweden, and I can only presume Germany too, the CA one was a piece of cake and a looooot cheaper. I wouldn't worry about it so much, sorry I can't remember how long i used my Swedish DL in CA though.

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Just for fun, here's how it is go get a Swedish DL. It will make you feel really good about getting a U.S DL. https://trulyswedish.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/getting-a-drivers-license-in-sweden/

Edited by Brewlin

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hello Fellows,

I have a concern about my situation at the moment. So, I've been driving with my home country's drivers license in the U.S., and I have applied for AOS. However, I'm in the process of getting my california drivers license, and noticed it said, they recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident. So, what am I now, I'm not really a resident in my home country right now, but neither a permanent resident in California??!! Does it mean, I'm actually not supposed to drive anymore? Even though, it would be just legal if I was here on a semester abroad, or as a tourist?

I really appreciate other's opinions!!!

Hi dakobert,!!!

My friend and I were -lately- talked about this situation and the funny weird thing about it, you can rent a decent CAR but when u pulled out the road you get ticket ...My advice is GET that DMV card!!!

good luck

PASSION !!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.