dakobert

Driving with home country's drivers license while in AOS???

41 posts in this topic

In MA there is apparently no grace period at all. So while I could drive on my old license while visiting, I am now stuck in limbo until I get my MA licence. Yeah, it's great. After all the waiting and excitement to get here I am stuck waiting for a SSN to apply for a learner's permit and driver's test. The awesome part is that they want to see "proof of residence too" so I need to open a bank account as well and that also requires a SSN. There should really be some easier way for new immigrants to be able to drive once they arrive. Especially CR-1/IR-1 immigrants who are told they can work immediately... yeah right, I can't walk 20 miles to go to job interviews.

Edited by Saffer

In MA there is apparently no grace period at all. So while I could drive on my old license while visiting, I am now stuck in limbo until I get my MA licence. Yeah, it's great. After all the waiting and excitement to get here I am stuck waiting for a SSN to apply for a learner's permit and driver's test. The awesome part is that they want to see "proof of residence too" so I need to open a bank account as well and that also requires a SSN. There should really be some easier way for new immigrants to be able to drive once they arrive. Especially CR-1/IR-1 immigrants who are told they can work immediately... yeah right, I can't walk 20 miles to go to job interviews.

Arkansas is the same

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You can drive with the International Driverlicense as long as you do not have the us license.

PLUS don't trade your license in there ..u wont be able to use the us one here. ...just keep in mind to keep the german one

Our Story

I'm the benificary

First met: August 23rd 2013 (F)
Engaged: November 13th 2014 :wub:
I-129f sent: March 20th 2015
Received by USICS: March 25th 2015
Mail notification + Case accepted and routed to CSC:
March 27th 2015

NOA1 hard Copy received: April 4th 2015 :dancing:

Mail notification - Petition Approved NOA2: May 8th 2015

B-) NOA2 hard Copy received: May 15th 2015 :thumbs::dance:

Called NVC & Received Case NR: May 29th 2015 :thumbs:

At NVC: Since 21th May 2015

Stuck at AP :clock:

left NVC/ In Transit to Frankfurt: 3rd June 2015 :dancing:

Ready at Embassy Frankfurt: 5th June 2015 :wow:

Packet 3 received: 11th June 2015

DS-160 Submitted: 16th June 2015

Fee paid: 18th June 2015

Package 3 sent: 13th July 2015

Ready to schedule Interview: 16th July 2015
Medical passed: 21st July 2015

Interview: 5th August 2015 :star: -> Approved

POE: 27th August 2015

Date of Marriage: 3rd September 2015 (L):luv:

:energy::energy::energy: :energy: :energy::energy:

AOS

You can drive with the International Driverlicense as long as you do not have the us license.

PLUS don't trade your license in there ..u wont be able to use the us one here. ...just keep in mind to keep the german one

No. The international Driving Permit does not grant you driving privileges. It is a translation book of what your German license says In a bunch of languages.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Residency is state specific. For Colorado you can remain a non-resident for 90 days as they have a physical presence requirement and as long as you do not trigger the other events you are not considered a resident until you have lived in the state for 90 days. Then you have 30 days to get a CO DL. Of course now anybody that is breathing can get a CO DL. I have heard that CA is very strict on how you become a resident and you must get a CA DL within a very short time. You run the risk of getting stopped and issued a ticket for not having a DL. Also, there is the insurance question of whether you are covered should you have an accident. CO does have a reciprocal agreement with German so they waive the testing requirements. Maybe CA has a similar agreement. Yes, you are in a state of limbo about driving as you are now maybe a resident of CA as it is defined and thus required to have a valid CA DL, but you are not a LPR of the US.

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

funny i should read this post today as i have just returned from trying to apply for my license in MD. I came in on K1, got married and have SSN but the DMV today said I can't apply for my license as I don't have a I-94 (it expired last week!). I gave them my AOS notice 797c and pushed the issue so they said they will contact USCIS.

I don't hold out much hope, seems once again the immigration system is so complicated most govt departments don't understand it. Although last time i went to the DMV the guy did say I could drive on my UK license until it expired, which is 2 years! He said that's what he would do. But this is in MD. Anyone else with any similar experiences?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Most maybe all States give visitors a year.

New residents vary as to how long they get in a new State to get a license. Anyway it is all on the DMV website.

So yes.

I'd be careful using a year, every state I have lived in is considerably less time. Although they go by what you tell them, I certainly wouldn't get pulled over and say you've been in California for 10 months. If you have an international drivers license you should be fine, but I believe there is a difference in some countries. My wife has drivers license in Philippines but didn't get international license so she has to get a license here to drive legally. I would just call your local Sheriffs office explain your situation, tell them you're waiting for your green card and want to make sure the license you have is good enough until you have the proper documents to get a CA drivers license. Even counties have different rules, I currently live in a county that if you get pulled over with out a valid license you go to jail, just like a DUI. My last county would let people drive away sometimes, or have someone pick them up and await court which usually would plea out with a fine and that was it. Best to check with the people that could potentially cause you problems.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

In Missouri, we went to the DMV to get a license. Because his name was not completely typed on the I94, (his first name was just the letter A on the first I 94) they wouldn't let him get a driver's license. They told him, since he had an international driver's license, he could drive for six months. So, we got his I 94 corrected to be exactly as his visa was, and we waited for the EAD because the driver's license we would have gotten would have expired as soon as the I94 expired. Then, after we had EAD and corrected I 94 in hand, we returned for the Missouri driver's license. I can't remember for sure if the I 94 was needed at that point, but we took it anyway.

Edited by visaqueries

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Not to make this more complicated/concerning. But even if you are legal, your insurance may not cover you. If you are living somewhere, you are suppose to be reported on their insurance policy. If you are not, they could deny the claim. Am dealing with this now.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I agree, I wouldnt risk driving a year. California says 10 days, but at the DMV they say that regulation doesnt exist. There is only a vague explanation of when you are considered resident. An international drivers license is e.g. not accepted in california. You can drive here for two years as long as your residence is still in germany with your usual home country's license. Imagine people on a 2 week vacation have to get a DL for the last days of their vacation ;) Anyway, I won't drive until my behind the wheel test on saturday. I was just wondering, because I never thought about it, only when I came into contact with the DMV this question occurred. Honestly, considering what it takes to get your drivers license here in the states compared to germany is just ricidiculous regardless...

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Not to make this more complicated/concerning. But even if you are legal, your insurance may not cover you. If you are living somewhere, you are suppose to be reported on their insurance policy. If you are not, they could deny the claim. Am dealing with this now.

??Really?? So far i know, all insurances must contain a clause where an uninsured driver has to have certain coverages by state law! At least in AY and CA.

Edited by dakobert

I drove for about 6 months with my foreign license until i had my greencard for about 2 monts. Never had an issue.

You should be able the get your SSN while waiting for the greencard you need your passport i-94 and a official piece of paper with your name.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is not such thing as an International Drivers Licence, there is an International Drivers Permit which is essentially a translation of your home country license.

If you have the crappy Euro style DL's you should not need it. Before the Euro licenses I had a IDP to drive in France etc.

Every State is different, you might as well look at them as different countries.

Insurance, never did get to the bottom of that, I think in Colorado they have to indemnify you to the State minimum which is ####### all less 10.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

No. The international Driving Permit does not grant you driving privileges. It is a translation book of what your German license says In a bunch of languages.

But i asked at the Commune here and over in the us..i am allowed to drive with the license

Our Story

I'm the benificary

March 27th 2015

AOS

Timeline

Our Story

I'm the benificary

March 27th 2015

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.