rafciooo28

F1 Status and Marriage.(merged)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello,

I have been in the United States for 2,5 years. First, I entered the country on J1 visa in December of 2012. I stayed in the United States for a year and then in December of 2013 I went back to Poland, stayed there for a month and applied for a F1 visa. I came back to the United Stated in January of 2014. I finished Spring semester in May of 2014 and went back home for whole summer. Then I came back to the U.S in August of 2014 and since then I have not left the country. I met my boyfriend in September and we have been together since then. I was maintaining my F1 status, and now we are planing to get married. We are thinking about September, but the semester starts in August. I do not want to enroll for classes in Fall semester, and I know that I would loose my F1 Status. I don't know what to do. Should I get married before the beginning of the semester or when.

As soon as I get married I will apply for AOS.

Please help.

Timeline

Hello,

I came to the U.S. in December of 2013 on J1 visa. Stayed here for a year and then went back home In December of 2013 for a month. When I was there I applied for F1 visa and came back in January of 2014 to start my studies in the U.S. After I finished my first semester I went back to Europe for whole summer and then I came back in August 2014 to continue my studies. I haven't left the country since then. In September of 2014 I met my boyfriend. Now that I finished my semester in May of 15 we are thinking about getting married. I do not want to register for classes now in August, but that is what I need to do to maintain my F1 Status. We are thinking about getting married in September, which is after my school reports to Immigration that I am no longer attending college and I will loose my F1 status. What should I do ? Should I get married before the beginning of semester and then apply for AOS as soon as possible. Please advice.

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why not just carry on studying, it is what you came here to do?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Well, we want to move in together and want to have a life together. I will continue studies next semester. But for now I want to have this figured out. My school cost to much money, and my sponsor is not approving of me moving out. Even if I moved out we won't be able to afford to cover all expenses. We have been talking about the marriage for the longest time.

Timeline

I don't understand why. I intended to stay here for the time for my studies and after I graduate go back to Europe, but live happens. I met a great person that I love and I want to be with that person. We've been together for over a year, and already live together and have expenses together.

What is the problem with that?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't understand why. I intended to stay here for the time for my studies and after I graduate go back to Europe, but live happens. I met a great person that I love and I want to be with that person. We've been together for over a year, and already live together and have expenses together.

What is the problem with that?

If your studies suddenly end due to lack of finances

Timeline

Then what? Its pretty much what happened now. My sponsor doesn't cover all of my expenses because I don't live with them anymore. So they don't want to pay for my expenses, I can't get a job. So it means that I can't stay here ?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Then what? Its pretty much what happened now. My sponsor doesn't cover all of my expenses because I don't live with them anymore. So they don't want to pay for my expenses, I can't get a job. So it means that I can't stay here ?

Right, so think of it from an immigration officer's possible POV. No sponsorship, no work, no school. May as well do the next best thing instead of going home.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Check with your school officials, as far as I know and as far as they told me at my school, you do have to maintain your F1 status until your status has been adjusted. That means you have to keep studying to keep your F1 student status until you finish the process of adjustment of status. That's what they told me at my school but I wouldn't count on them too much, they've been very wrong on many occasions before so, ask you school.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate threads merged. Please do not make more then one thread for the same or similar topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

OP: Were you enrolled full-time in school during fall 2014 and spring 2015? How far ahead are you with your degree right now? Junior? Senior? Wouldn't all your time and money spent become futile if you stop your program now?

In my case, hubby and I married right after the completion of my degree on F1 status, i.e. during the 60 day grace period. If you have only one semester left, is it possible to finance for just a semester and get married right after?

rafciooo28, If your intent is to stay here and get married now that you have met someone, Happy Chic is correct and to do it legally you need to continue your studies for at least one more term. Then you can marry legally and then adjust from the F1 visa to full time resident. Where are you in CA? We are in L.A. PM me. Maybe can see if help is possible.

Timeline

I was enrolled full time during Spring 2014, Fall 2014 and Spring 2015. I actually have two semesters left till I will graduate.

And I think I will enroll full time for school for Fall 2015. We are planning to get married in October and then I will be filling out all paperwork, ect. So I could go to school in Spring 2016 and graduate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.