VOL

Food Stamps - Not appreciated, but expected

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My family used food stamps (actual stamps at the time), and went to the local food bank when we first got to the US. I'm not black and race really shouldn't have nothing to do with who should or should get this benefit.

I understand it to be temporary assistance, and it's always the small percentage that abuse the program that makes it look bad for all.

The only thing I can hope for is that those who get food stamp or any other government assistance to use it as a bridge to get out of poverty, because sooner or later the funds will go dry.

Edited by Umka36

My family used food stamps (actual stamps at the time), and went to the local food bank when we first got to the US. I'm not black and race really shouldn't have nothing to do with who should or should get this benefit.

I understand it to be temporary assistance, and it's always the small percentage that abuse the program that makes it look bad for all.

The only thing I can hope for is that those who get food stamp or any other government assistance to use it as a bridge to get out of poverty, because sooner or later the funds will go dry.

It shouldn't, but it always will. Because seeing POC on govt assistance gets people more upset than murder.

As for your second point, that's what Fox News does. They find that small percentage and that's the model for everyone to follow. That's how they justify their behavior.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

A younger co-worker told me the other week that he spent the entire four years of his undergraduate education on food stamps. He is an able-bodied, middle class, white man whose parents are quite wealthy. However, he was able to exploit some loophole that allowed him to file and obtain food stamps during the school year. He used this for "fun" food while his parents paid for his meals in the dining hall. This to me is abuse of the system and utterly disgusting. He just shrugged and told me, "Hey, everyone else was doing it."

And this dude will never generate the amount of vitriol and hate that poor people get slammed with all the time...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He was poor as he would not have gotten them otherwise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Isn't that what counts?

Anyway you can use them for a lot more things than food.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

unsurprisingly predictable and incorrect response. consistency is your strong point.

If it works, why fix it?

Who did you used to be?

The fact I haven't torn him to pieces should give you a clue...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

There will always be some form of abuse, no matter the program, but the abuse of the food stamp program is nothing compared to how corporations, farmers, government contractors milk the system. It's politically easy for politicians and our media to focus on food stamp abuse, which is why politicians go after them so much.

Totally understandable that the people who have an expectation of government help on a certain day and will go hungry should it not arrive are upset when that help does not come. I don't know why we criticize the media for letting those affected speak their minds - who do you all think called the media for this story in the first place? Had they not been given a voice then this would be a social media frenzy accusing the media of ignoring the plight of the poor with the inevitable race card thrown. It is not the fault of the media that some of the people who spoke up sounded stupid.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

There will always be some form of abuse, no matter the program, but the abuse of the food stamp program is nothing compared to how corporations, farmers, government contractors milk the system. It's politically easy for politicians and our media to focus on food stamp abuse, which is why politicians go after them so much.

Totally agreed.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

A younger co-worker told me the other week that he spent the entire four years of his undergraduate education on food stamps. He is an able-bodied, middle class, white man whose parents are quite wealthy. However, he was able to exploit some loophole that allowed him to file and obtain food stamps during the school year. He used this for "fun" food while his parents paid for his meals in the dining hall. This to me is abuse of the system and utterly disgusting. He just shrugged and told me, "Hey, everyone else was doing it."

I don't beleive you that a son of "quite wealthy" parents did this, regardless of race. I call BS.

(I already hear the patter-patter of numerous keyboards hitting google to find the one-in-ten-thousand feel good NutraSweet feel-good story)

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

I don't beleive you that a son of "quite wealthy" parents did this, regardless of race. I call BS.

All I can tell you is what he has told me about 1) his parents and 2) his getting food stamps in college. Can you please tell me what motivation I have to lie about this? I mentioned it only because I found it remarkable, not least because apparently "everyone" was doing it at the time. This would have been 10 years ago.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que