31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've seen success in both instances...K1 and CR1.

We chose to go the K1 route because we just wanted a little more time to strengthen our relationship before we committed to the marriage. Our timeline is long...if you are talking about how long it took for him to get his green card--which is what a person entering on a CR1 would have. We applied for the K1 visa in August 2012. It was approved February 2014. We married in May 2014 and immediately sent off our AOS paperwork. Two days ago, so June 2015, we received word our green card has been ordered for production. The positive to this situation was we have been together in the same country since May 2014.

If we had it to do all over again though, we would have probably gone the CR1 route. I didn't think our case was strong enough for it at the time, but because we had to wait so long for our K1, I was able to visit two summers and two winter breaks (I'm a teacher). If the CR1 would have taken that long, we would have used all that visitation evidence to build a case for a strong marriage. Instead we had a very strong case for a committed relationship of fiance/fiancees. There's just something nice knowing that when your spouse arrives on US soil for the first time, you don't have to worry about adjusting status and applying for a green card. There's a lot of other adjusting that has to go on. And really, that's why we would have applied for CR1.

Take a look at the comparisons in the guides above, talk it over with your girlfriend, and decide which route is best for you.

Additionally, my husband was able to copy and print everything I needed him to print when we applied (though it was much more difficult for him than it would have been for me), but there would have been a great benefit for us had I filled out the paperwork requiring original signatures then brought it for him to sign. We visited in May 2012 and couldn't apply until August 2012 because I needed to wait for him to mail me paperwork that needed his signature on it. When we first applied things slowed down for processing in about July, so had I known, we could have possibly sped up the process by a lot.

Best wishes for a great decision. As you've read, both will take some time!

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you vey much for taking the time to respond , I really appreciat it , our situation is lil different she single mom , don't make much money , I know it will be hard on her to come like five times for sure , so may be we can go with k1 visa then , and will see what the future have for us :)

Timeline

Thank you vey much for taking the time to respond , I really appreciat it , our situation is lil different she single mom , don't make much money , I know it will be hard on her to come like five times for sure , so may be we can go with k1 visa then , and will see what the future have for us :)

Timeline

my husband hasn't had his interview yet we're still at the nvc, but he comes from jordan not as bad as Egypt but will still go through some of the issues . And I live over here with him because I'm about to have our first baby so my case is a little different . You will want to try to see each other a few times though before the interview if it's possible, just to help strengthen the relationship in the embassy's eyes . It will look a little bad if after you guys marry she leaves and isn't capable of visiting you at least once more before the interview because it will take about a year .

Thank you for your respond , I think may considering k1 visa , because she is single mom and don't make much money so it will be hard to come see me for a few times

Thanks again and good luck with baby

my husband hasn't had his interview yet we're still at the nvc, but he comes from jordan not as bad as Egypt but will still go through some of the issues . And I live over here with him because I'm about to have our first baby so my case is a little different . You will want to try to see each other a few times though before the interview if it's possible, just to help strengthen the relationship in the embassy's eyes . It will look a little bad if after you guys marry she leaves and isn't capable of visiting you at least once more before the interview because it will take about a year .

Thank you for your respond , I think may considering k1 visa , because she is single mom and don't make much money so it will be hard to come see me for a few times

Thanks again and good luck with baby

Timeline

I've seen success in both instances...K1 and CR1.

We chose to go the K1 route because we just wanted a little more time to strengthen our relationship before we committed to the marriage. Our timeline is long...if you are talking about how long it took for him to get his green card--which is what a person entering on a CR1 would have. We applied for the K1 visa in August 2012. It was approved February 2014. We married in May 2014 and immediately sent off our AOS paperwork. Two days ago, so June 2015, we received word our green card has been ordered for production. The positive to this situation was we have been together in the same country since May 2014.

If we had it to do all over again though, we would have probably gone the CR1 route. I didn't think our case was strong enough for it at the time, but because we had to wait so long for our K1, I was able to visit two summers and two winter breaks (I'm a teacher). If the CR1 would have taken that long, we would have used all that visitation evidence to build a case for a strong marriage. Instead we had a very strong case for a committed relationship of fiance/fiancees. There's just something nice knowing that when your spouse arrives on US soil for the first time, you don't have to worry about adjusting status and applying for a green card. There's a lot of other adjusting that has to go on. And really, that's why we would have applied for CR1.

Take a look at the comparisons in the guides above, talk it over with your girlfriend, and decide which route is best for you.

Additionally, my husband was able to copy and print everything I needed him to print when we applied (though it was much more difficult for him than it would have been for me), but there would have been a great benefit for us had I filled out the paperwork requiring original signatures then brought it for him to sign. We visited in May 2012 and couldn't apply until August 2012 because I needed to wait for him to mail me paperwork that needed his signature on it. When we first applied things slowed down for processing in about July, so had I known, we could have possibly sped up the process by a lot.

Best wishes for a great decision. As you've read, both will take some time!

One more thing please I forgot to ask ,

How about your fiancé interview was , hard or easy I heard some co so tough and mean , I heard too you can request your interview in Arabic and some time this request denied

Timeline

It was a very hard interview for us. Here's a complete link to how our interview went. http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=13594 It might be helpful to read a few of these consulate reviews. http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Egypt My husband had been working with American/English/Australian tourists for about a decade, so his English was very good when he went for his interview. If you feel worried about your English, definitely practice. They just want to make sure you can communicate with your fiance (adds to it being authentic).

ROC

3.7.2017     NOA sent

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

Naturalization

Timeline

It was a very hard interview for us. Here's a complete link to how our interview went. http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=13594 It might be helpful to read a few of these consulate reviews. http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Egypt My husband had been working with American/English/Australian tourists for about a decade, so his English was very good when he went for his interview. If you feel worried about your English, definitely practice. They just want to make sure you can communicate with your fiance (adds to it being authentic).

Thanks for you fast respond have a great Sunday

Timeline

You too!

ROC

3.7.2017     NOA sent

Naturalization

Timeline

thanks for your respond and congrats for your husband visa , can you tell me how you done yours , did you guys got married in Egypt or start k1 then cr-1 and how many times did you visit your husband , if you don't mind just to learn from your successful story :)

thanks

My husband and I just got engaged and did the K1 Visa without ANY issues!! :)

Timeline

We didn't have any issues either going the K1 route. He visited the US once and I visited Egypt once before we started the application. I dont' know though if it would be more of a challenge if she does not have sufficient income. I'm not trying to sound judgy, but I get really nervous for people that seem to be applying with a US fiancee that is already struggling financially. I'm not saying your fiancee is, but I watched 90 day fiancee (this is a TV show here) and one guy had a haaarrrd time understanding just how much of a struggle his fiancee was having to just pay the bills. The time it takes to get here, get work authorization, and secure a decent job is not quick. She will have to support herself, her child, and you for a while. Please prepare yourself for that either way. Even with me having a good salary, it was very hard for my husband to feel like he couldn't contribute for a while. I can imagine that he would have had a much harder time with those feelings if I was barely able to cover rent.

Good Luck to you though. Young love is such a sweet thing!

Timeline

We didn't have any issues either going the K1 route. He visited the US once and I visited Egypt once before we started the application. I dont' know though if it would be more of a challenge if she does not have sufficient income. I'm not trying to sound judgy, but I get really nervous for people that seem to be applying with a US fiancee that is already struggling financially. I'm not saying your fiancee is, but I watched 90 day fiancee (this is a TV show here) and one guy had a haaarrrd time understanding just how much of a struggle his fiancee was having to just pay the bills. The time it takes to get here, get work authorization, and secure a decent job is not quick. She will have to support herself, her child, and you for a while. Please prepare yourself for that either way. Even with me having a good salary, it was very hard for my husband to feel like he couldn't contribute for a while. I can imagine that he would have had a much harder time with those feelings if I was barely able to cover rent.

Good Luck to you though. Young love is such a sweet thing!

Thanks for your respond ,

But if I have a good saving account and we can get a sponsor I have family memeber and friends in USA , do you think this will help or not ? Is the sponsor will accepted on k1 visa or not ?

Timeline

My husband and I just got engaged and did the K1 Visa without ANY issues!! :)

Thanks for your respond , I just have a few questions of you don't mind

How many times did you meet with your fiancé ? , and how was his interview ?

It was in Arabic or English

Thanks again for taking the time to respond :)

Timeline

Thanks for your respond , I just have a few questions of you don't mind

How many times did you meet with your fiancé ? , and how was his interview ?

It was in Arabic or English

Thanks again for taking the time to respond :)

Hi there! We first met in Turkey then I visited him and his family in Egypt once! His interview was in English and his English is advanced but judging by your English typed here you should be fine! :)

Hi there! We first met in Turkey then I visited him and his family in Egypt once! His interview was in English and his English is advanced but judging by your English typed here you should be fine! :)

Oh and his interview went GREAT but I know they don't all go that way. Sometimes you get a mean interviewer but people still get approved. Just because they are rude are hard on your doesn't mean you won't get approved.

Timeline

Oh and his interview went GREAT but I know they don't all go that way. Sometimes you get a mean interviewer but people still get approved. Just because they are rude are hard on your doesn't mean you won't get approved.

thank you :)

Timeline

Thanks for your respond ,

But if I have a good saving account and we can get a sponsor I have family memeber and friends in USA , do you think this will help or not ? Is the sponsor will accepted on k1 visa or not ?

Yeah I imagine you will be fine with K1 with savings and co sponsor. Don't worry too much. They are not that intense I don't think. The issue is that they need to know you will have financial support during the waiting since you will not be eligible for any kind of public assistance. Also, I didn't mention, but my husband's interview was super easy and the interviewer was very nice at the Cairo embassy, just like Jaime mentioned about her husband's.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.