31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi guys my girl friend will come see me this summer , we been talking over a year , I'm 23 she is 28 , any way if everything work okay with us , do you guys think to got marry in Egypt or we just engaged and start k1 visa .

Is just because will be more sold case and saving some time in future processing

Your advise will be appreciate it

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Have her bring all the papers and marry in Egypt as you are from one of the countries they deny many fiancée visas. most other countries will tell you fiancée visa is faster but that is not true of Algeria, Morocco, and Egypt. Trust me I ended up going back and getting married and wasted over a year on the fiancée visa process. incha allah all will be good for you

Timeline

Immigration does not view marriage as a stronger case than a fiance. They are equal in immigration's eyes because there is high fraud in both cases. It's just as easy to get married for a greencard as it is to do the fiance visa so immigration is equally hard on marriage cases as they are on fiance cases. The fiance visa is about 6 months faster than going the marriage route

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the "What Visa Do I Need" forum -- OP is weighing visa paths. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hi guys my girl friend will come see me this summer , we been talking over a year , I'm 23 she is 28 , any way if everything work okay with us , do you guys think to got marry in Egypt or we just engaged and start k1 visa .

Is just because will be more sold case and saving some time in future processing

Your advise will be appreciate it

Thanks

The age difference shouldn't be an issue. I'm 32 and my fiance is 23. The fiance visa is typically a faster process compared to the marriage visa. Have you met in person yet? When she comes to visit you make sure that you save flight itineraries, make copies of her passport stamps, save boarding passes, etc. and photographs of the two of you together. Make sure that you have plenty of proof of meeting in person to submit with your applications. Things like that will help prove that you are in a bonafide relationship. I wish you and your girlfriend the best of luck!

Timeline

Have her bring all the papers and marry in Egypt as you are from one of the countries they deny many fiancée visas. most other countries will tell you fiancée visa is faster but that is not true of Algeria, Morocco, and Egypt. Trust me I ended up going back and getting married and wasted over a year on the fiancée visa process. incha allah all will be good for you

Thanks for your respond but why you change your case to cr 1 did you got dined or what happend?

Fiancé visas in some countries are very hard to obtain. Some consulates and embassies also do not accept Co-sponsors for the K1 but have to for the CR1

Your age difference is minor by the way.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

The countries that the other poster listed tend to deny k1s very often Egypt especially, because of the fraud . Immigration will look at these countries differently it's just how it is . Marriage seems more real in their eyes even though like someone mentioned there is fraud seen in both marriage and finances, it will be a little more difficult in regards to proving the relationship for you because of the country regardless though married or not . Having my husband come from a Muslim country I would recommend marriage as well, yes longer but cheaper and more benefits in the long run and the chances of getting denied tend to go down in Egypts eyes, tend to I say it's not a for sure promise as anyone married or not can still always get denied .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Either way, it's a pain in the butt to do all the papers. I don't think it matters one way or another; it's going to take a long time through Egypt regardless of when you start the process. I will say however that just by paying attention to other K-1 visas through the Egypt portal, it appears to take less time to process than CR-1. Whether they get approved or not, that's a different question. From submitting papers for CR-1 to getting the interview took us a little over a year. We are now waiting for the visa itself.

Timeline

Either way, it's a pain in the butt to do all the papers. I don't think it matters one way or another; it's going to take a long time through Egypt regardless of when you start the process. I will say however that just by paying attention to other K-1 visas through the Egypt portal, it appears to take less time to process than CR-1. Whether they get approved or not, that's a different question. From submitting papers for CR-1 to getting the interview took us a little over a year. We are now waiting for the visa itself.

thanks for your respond and congrats for your husband visa , can you tell me how you done yours , did you guys got married in Egypt or start k1 then cr-1 and how many times did you visit your husband , if you don't mind just to learn from your successful story :)

thanks

Timeline

The countries that the other poster listed tend to deny k1s very often Egypt especially, because of the fraud . Immigration will look at these countries differently it's just how it is . Marriage seems more real in their eyes even though like someone mentioned there is fraud seen in both marriage and finances, it will be a little more difficult in regards to proving the relationship for you because of the country regardless though married or not . Having my husband come from a Muslim country I would recommend marriage as well, yes longer but cheaper and more benefits in the long run and the chances of getting denied tend to go down in Egypts eyes, tend to I say it's not a for sure promise as anyone married or not can still always get denied .

thanks for your respond , so you did married and went with cr-1 visa , so did your husband had hard time in his interview or was okay? and can you tell me please if you don't mind how many times did you see each other before processing the paper work please , the reason I'm asking it's because really expansive to come see me a few times , special when she don't make a lot of money !

thanks again and I hope you have a great weekend

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How many times has she visited so far?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

thanks for your respond and congrats for your husband visa , can you tell me how you done yours , did you guys got married in Egypt or start k1 then cr-1 and how many times did you visit your husband , if you don't mind just to learn from your successful story :)

thanks

Thanks alot. We were married in Cairo following the steps on the US Embassy in Cairo's website (http://egypt.usembassy.gov/acs12.html) and then filed for CR-1 when I returned. I've visited 5 times in Cairo since our relationship started and we met in Jordan for a minivacation while I was interning in Amman.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

thanks for your respond , so you did married and went with cr-1 visa , so did your husband had hard time in his interview or was okay? and can you tell me please if you don't mind how many times did you see each other before processing the paper work please , the reason I'm asking it's because really expansive to come see me a few times , special when she don't make a lot of money !

thanks again and I hope you have a great weekend

my husband hasn't had his interview yet we're still at the nvc, but he comes from jordan not as bad as Egypt but will still go through some of the issues . And I live over here with him because I'm about to have our first baby so my case is a little different . You will want to try to see each other a few times though before the interview if it's possible, just to help strengthen the relationship in the embassy's eyes . It will look a little bad if after you guys marry she leaves and isn't capable of visiting you at least once more before the interview because it will take about a year .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.