umiikichhi

Interview done..but the US counselor handed over a white 221-g letter asking for original AOS.

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Background & Concern:

I attended my Immigration Visa (IR1) Interview at the Embassy yesterday from 9am till 3pm.

After a long and thorough check by the Indian and US counselor officer. I was handed over a white letter (221-g) mentioning the Affadavit support from Co sponsor (I 864) & from co sponsor's spouse (I 864A) to be provided in order to reconsider for the Visa.

However, I had the I 864 from my spouse (petitioner) and her latest tax returns for 2014. But the Indian Counselor who reviewed the documents and arranged them in order returned the I864 & Tax papers (2014) from my spouse only kept the co-sponsors Tax papers & I-864 A...and told me that The I-864A needs to re-collected in original not a scan copy that i had provided...and submit to the VAC in order to get your visa...I said ok. He then forward the documents to the American counselor for final interview..She called me and checked the documents and and asked questions after questions..finally..handed over a white letter to me.

My concern is..

We already provided with the Co-sponsors documents whose income is good enough to be so then what exactly am I required to do. Please explain whether I'm required to furnish original documents with original sign from the same co-sponsor (George Fellows) or we are to change the co-sponsor altogether.

Please clarify...friends.

Edited by umiikichhi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Background & Concern:

I attended my Immigration Visa (IR1) Interview at the Embassy yesterday from 9am till 3pm.

After a long and thorough check by the Indian and US counselor officer. I was handed over a white letter (221-g) mentioning the Affadavit support from Co sponsor (I 864) & from co sponsor's spouse (I 864A) to be provided in order to reconsider for the Visa.

However, I had the I 864 from my spouse (petitioner) and her latest tax returns for 2014. But the Indian Counselor who reviewed the documents and arranged them in order returned the I864 & Tax papers (2014) from my spouse only kept the co-sponsors Tax papers & I-864 A...and told me that The I-864A needs to re-collected in original not a scan copy that i had provided...and submit to the VAC in order to get your visa...I said ok. He then forward the documents to the American counselor for final interview..She called me and checked the documents and and asked questions after questions..finally..handed over a white letter to me.

My concern is..

We already provided with the Co-sponsors documents whose income is good enough to be so then what exactly am I required to do. Please explain whether I'm required to furnish original documents with original sign from the same co-sponsor (George Fellows) or we are to change the co-sponsor altogether.

Please clarify...friends.

they wanted the original signature from your cosponsor, they do not take scanned copies of signatures as that can look faked get him to send you a copy with his original signature not scanned through the mail and submit it to the embassy .

Timeline

My wife submit AOS as my sponsor to the NVC but bcoz she traveled many times to be with me that affected her net income for the last 4 years....By the time out file was received by the US Embassy..we were informed to get a co-sponsor for our case. My Wife's grandpa became our co-sponsor and his income is well above the required (as per Federal Poverty Guidelines).

My wife sent the scanned tax papers and I-864A of her Grandpa through email.

However, during the interview..when the Indian counselor who was organizing my documents asked me for the Co-sponsor's documents...I gave the I-864A & Tax papers from co-sponsor to him alongwith my wife's latest tax docs (2014) and updated I-864....But he only kept those for the co-sponsor and returned the ones for my wife.

Then he told me these are scanned copies and the AOS from Co-sponsor is a legal document and needs to be orginally signed...and you might be asked to submit that to the VAC..alongwith something elsee or some other piece of info. I said OK.

Then during the final interview after it was done ..I was handed over that letter stating two points (requirements):

1) Original AOS from Joint sponsor (I-864)

2) AOS-I 864A (From Joint sponsor's spouse)

Does that mean to change the documents to original only & provide alongwith that co-sponsors spouse's (Granma's) documents??

or

Does that mean we need a new joint sponsor altogether.

Sorry for the length...Plz clarify if u could.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I see, that's why, because they didn't receive the originals back then to begin with, otherwise they would have approved it right away, they need a live signature as Morgan mentioned above. Don't worry though, make sure that you send them the originals as soon as possible and hopefully your visa will be in your hands in no time. Good luck. :)

Edited by xDestineyx

Timeline

Thanks XDESTINYX....

We approached an immigration lawyer..who suggested we change the co-sponsor to someone else..the new Co-sponsor isn't a household member though...his income is way above the required...however, we were instructed by the Embassy to provide original I-864 from co-sponsor (which is not a problem) but the 2nd point as stated above mentioned an i-864A from co-sponsors spouse (now this is needed in case of a household member only).

What in this case now..if our co-sponsors income is good and He's not our household member..are u still required to get an i-864A as suggested by the Embassy?

Appreciate your response.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I see, that's why, because they didn't receive the originals back then to begin with, otherwise they would have approved it right away, they need a live signature as Morgan mentioned above. Don't worry though, make sure that you send them the originals as soon as possible and hopefully your visa will be in your hands in no time. Good luck. :)

As u are aware by now.....that I was handed a 221g stating:

1) Original I 864 -Joint sponsor required (Who happened to be my spouse's grandpa- A household Member).

2) Original I-864A from the Joint sponsor's spouse.

However, we found out from the attorney that it was better to submit docs for a different Joint sponsor with much higher income (We did that from a family friend who's not a household member and not married, so I-864A wouldnt be required even though it was mentioned in the 221g letter handed over to me at the time of the interveiw by the CO). Now, We have already submit these along with my passport at the VAC (Visa Application Center or the Document pick up center) 4 days back. They suggested to wait 7-10 working days.... Would like to know if we are taking the right course of action plz?

Regards, Umii

Timeline

Hello,

Actually I'm not very sure if the i-864A is required, however we did file one for the co-sponsor's spouse for my family's case. So if you have submitted those then that's fine so long as the embassy asked for it, I'd contact the embassy and ask just to be safe.

Edited by xDestineyx

Timeline

Would call the Embassy. However, just FYI our new co-sponsor is not married. So an I-864 A isn't applicable. That's what I wanted to confirm. Thanks anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Sorry, I didn't catch the unmarried part, well, it might be a mistake then, because it doesn't apply to you. The only thing you can do now is contacting the embassy then.

Friend...I tried to contact the embassy but to no avail. I already submit the documents mentioned on the 221g letter alongwith my passport on June 23rd 2015. The officer at the counter told me it'd take 7-10 business days. It's been 14 business days (as of today) and when i checked with them again, they said there's no fixed time for the Administrative processing. I told them that i was informed during my interview at the consuate to just submit the documents as per the 221g and the visa would be done and now you guys are telling me it could take anywhere between 7 days & 2 months. This is unbelievable given the amount of time they ahve already taken and the trouble they have caused to me & my spouse. I'm greatly saddened by how badly they disregard other's sufferings & the affect it has on people's relationships.

My priority date is Sep 19th 2013. It's been almost 2 years. When i track the passport no. It shows "still with the US embassy".

I don't mind waiting (even though each day hurts now) but my wife's really upset by all this. Don't know what to do.

Timeline

Yes, it's very frustrating and sad but all you can do is wait, you can keep emailing them but I'm not sure if you can speed up the administrative processing, one thing that could be worth trying however, if you haven't tried it already, is contacting your senator's office and telling them about your case, hopefully they can help.

Note: lately there have been delays with printing out approved visas at all embassies worldwide due to system issues, you may or may not be affected, but it is another possibility.

Edited by xDestineyx

Timeline

Yes, it's very frustrating and sad but all you can do is wait, you can keep emailing them but I'm not sure if you can speed up the administrative processing, one thing that could be worth trying however, if you haven't tried it already, is contacting your senator's office and telling them about your case, hopefully they can help.

Note: lately there have been delays with printing out approved visas at all embassies worldwide due to system issues, you may or may not be affected, but it is another possibility.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.