Aus83

Worries about visiting partner in the US with our circumstances

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm from Australia and will be traveling to the US in the next week to visit my partner for 6 weeks. We have lived together in Au since 2011 and he has temporary residence here.

We both traveled to the US in Feb because there were some things that needed to be handled before our visa process in Au could be completed (long story). So I stayed with him for just under 6 weeks before returning home to our children. We have two children together and I have one from a previous relationship that he treats as his own.

Some events are coming up and I would like to be there to support him through it. We are hoping everything will go smoothly and we will be able to return together before the 6 weeks for me are up.

When I enter the US it will be 12 and a half weeks since I left. My partner was working here in Australia until a few months before leaving and I receive a government payment. We moved with our children into my fathers home to start saving for a house.

I have the documents showing my partners temporary residence in Aus, we have our 3 children here, they are all under 6 years old. I will be taking $5000 cash with me and we both have joint loans/bank accounts and car reg, things like that here in Aus.

Do you think they would give me any hassle or am i being too paranoid?

Thank you for your help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A lot of cash!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why are you bringing so much cash with you? don't you think that is a tick dangerous?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Would taking 5 thousand for 6 weeks stay really look bad? The Australian dollar is constantly dropping and it was alot cheaper to have it changed into usd than to keep using a credit card at whatever the exchange rate may be with the 3% fee.

As my partner does not live in the US anymore and is not currently there by choice we have to find hotels/motels to stay in and I'm hoping to pay everything we can with the cash and not card. We also have some lawyer expenses in the US.

Also to pick up some toys for our little girls that can't be purchased in aus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, but why cash?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Ok, but why cash?

Our foreign cash is done through our post offices linked to american express. They offer a much better exchange rate than the banks do with no fees at all.

They have a prepaid currency card but the reviews are just terrible. I'm unsure if I can post links here but it isn't recommended by anyone.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/australia-post-load-go.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Our foreign cash is done through our post offices linked to american express. They offer a much better exchange rate than the banks do with no fees at all.

They have a prepaid currency card but the reviews are just terrible. I'm unsure if I can post links here but it isn't recommended by anyone.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/australia-post-load-go.html

Carrying so much cash on you is always a risk but as far as getting a hard time by immigration for having that much on you, I highly doubt they would bat a eyelid at it. I went home to Australia with $3K in my wallet and didn't get asked any questions. They may ask you why you are carrying so much cash, but once you explain as you have here they won't harass you about it. To be honest they hardly even look at us Aussies when entering this Country, well put it this way I have never had any bad experiences and all my Aussie friends that come here have never been drilled with questions, it depends on the Officers you get but most of them just wave us through.

Not at all. I always traveled with more than 5000 cash, not a problem at all.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.