Slpcc

K-1 visa I-129 form & proof of relationship

25 posts in this topic

Oh, I just came across this information on an unrelated website.

I was born in Northern Ireland. Am I British?

If you were born before 1 January 1983, the answer is yes (unless your father was an Irish diplomat).

If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, the position is more complex. You will be automatically British if one of your parents was a British citizen (but not a British subject) at the time of your birth. This applies whether they had a British passport or not.

If neither parent was a British citizen, you will still be British automatically if either of your parents was ‘settled’ in the UK. This is defined as being ordinarily resident and having permission to stay indefinitely in the UK. Irish citizens are given this permission automatically, so the only issue would be whether your parents were living in Northern Ireland at the time you were born. If that was the case, then you are British automatically, if not (eg they were on holidays) then you will not be British from birth.

So a person's nationality depends on when they were born, and their parents' nationality, too. Good to keep in mind.

History
Nov 2005 - Became friends online...... Oct 2006 - Met in person for the first time...... May 2014 - Became girlfriends...... Nov 2014 - I asked her...... Apr 2015 - She asked me

K-1 Visa
2 May 2015 - Mailed I-129F
7 May 2015 - NOA1 received. We got California! (+5 days)
18 June 2015 - NOA2 received. (+6 weeks)

14 July 2015 - NVC received. Had to call them. (+26 days)

23 July 2015 - NVC sent case to Embassy in Dublin. Also had to call the NVC. No notice in mail from NVC and CEAC website still said "At NVC" for 3 more days. (+9 days)

30 July 2015 - Dublin Embassy received case. (+1 week)

31 July 2015 - Packed 3 received after requesting it. It was emailed to Irish Beneficiary. They never contacted US Petitioner as they said they would, probably because I was emailing them already. (+1 day)

4 Aug 2015 - Notification of Readiness emailed to embassy. (+4 days as I had to wait to print necessary documents).

5 Aug 2015 - Medical. Booked before Embassy received case. (Appointment was 9 days after I called to make it)

12 Aug 2015 - Packet 4 received. Notified of interview date. (+8 days after Notification of Readiness was sent).

21 Aug 2015 - INTERVIEW! (+17 days after Notice of Readiness was sent; +22 days after embassy received our case; +106 days, or 15 weeks 1 day, since NOA1)

28 Aug 2015 - Visa Recieved in the mail. (+1 week since interview)

23 Sept 2015 - POE Orlando, FL

9 Oct 2015 - Applied for SSN

17 Oct 2015 - SSN recieved in mail.

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

16 Dec 2015 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

14 Jan 2015 - Biometrics appointment (+1 month)

13 Feb 2015 - GC ISSUED! (+1 month) NO INTERVIEW! And no EAD/AP issued!

For a detailed account of my Medical experience, read my blog post HERE

For a detailed account of my Interview in Dublin, read it HERE

Oh, I just came across this information on an unrelated website.

I was born in Northern Ireland. Am I British?

If you were born before 1 January 1983, the answer is yes (unless your father was an Irish diplomat).

If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, the position is more complex. You will be automatically British if one of your parents was a British citizen (but not a British subject) at the time of your birth. This applies whether they had a British passport or not.

If neither parent was a British citizen, you will still be British automatically if either of your parents was ‘settled’ in the UK. This is defined as being ordinarily resident and having permission to stay indefinitely in the UK. Irish citizens are given this permission automatically, so the only issue would be whether your parents were living in Northern Ireland at the time you were born. If that was the case, then you are British automatically, if not (eg they were on holidays) then you will not be British from birth.

So a person's nationality depends on when they were born, and their parents' nationality, too. Good to keep in mind.

So a lot of words saying if your born in UK soil your British...... With a few minor get out clauses.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

On a slightly related note. It is silly that the ROI is still dishing out Irish passports to Northern Ireland citizens if they want one. The countries have been separate for approaching 100 years.

Rinara, if you are resident in the ROI you will be processed through Dublin.

Dave Allen.

On a slightly related note. It is silly that the ROI is still dishing out Irish passports to Northern Ireland citizens if they want one. The countries have been separate for approaching 100 years.

Rinara, if you are resident in the ROI you will be processed through Dublin.

It's not "silly". Kindly do not belittle the laws, traditions and constitution of someone else's country. It's rude, and uncalled for. It's how things are. As was stated in my last post. The countries are separated in as many ways as they are not. People can live, work, study, etc, on either side of the border interchangeably. The laws are still being changed and reviewed so that the UK government and laws work in harmony with the Irish ones. It's not an easy feat, and not one to be sniffed at.

As for said previous post, yes, "a lot of words saying.... you're British" and, ways saying you're not or don't have to be. I was attempting to help the OP see that the confusion over nationality is valid and that there are many factors that can influence whether or not her partner is Irish.

The "minor get-out clauses" are anything but, when it comes to citizenship in a country that has been through as much unrest as Ireland has.

The OP and I could very well have been born in the same town less than a few years apart, and depending on the date of birth, our parents' nationality and current residences, have different entitlements to citizenship, or exactly the same.

Please, don't be disrespectful.

History
Nov 2005 - Became friends online...... Oct 2006 - Met in person for the first time...... May 2014 - Became girlfriends...... Nov 2014 - I asked her...... Apr 2015 - She asked me

K-1 Visa

23 July 2015 - NVC sent case to Embassy in Dublin. Also had to call the NVC. No notice in mail from NVC and CEAC website still said "At NVC" for 3 more days. (+9 days)

31 July 2015 - Packed 3 received after requesting it. It was emailed to Irish Beneficiary. They never contacted US Petitioner as they said they would, probably because I was emailing them already. (+1 day)

4 Aug 2015 - Notification of Readiness emailed to embassy. (+4 days as I had to wait to print necessary documents).

5 Aug 2015 - Medical. Booked before Embassy received case. (Appointment was 9 days after I called to make it)

12 Aug 2015 - Packet 4 received. Notified of interview date. (+8 days after Notification of Readiness was sent).

21 Aug 2015 - INTERVIEW! (+17 days after Notice of Readiness was sent; +22 days after embassy received our case; +106 days, or 15 weeks 1 day, since NOA1)

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

I have to agree in saying that it is not silly at all and that's a very simplistic way of looking at it. My fiancé takes deep pride in his irish citizenship and is one of just many individuals who believe in a united Ireland and not one that is split and ruled over by British government. His being born in the UK does mean that he sees himself as less irish and the fact that he is given the right to claim irish citizenship is far from silly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed as requested by poster~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Ummmmm. I need to apologize to Rinara. I let my heart rule my head. I have reread some things on Irish/British Citizenship and I stand corrected. I have asked for my previous post to be deleted. I wish the OP the best of luck with their journey.

Thank you Ontarkie for deleting my post.

Edited by 2ndMessiah

Dave Allen.

Ummmmm. I need to apologize to Rinara. I let my heart rule my head. I have reread some things on Irish/British Citizenship and I stand corrected. I have asked for my previous post to be deleted. I wish the OP the best of luck with their journey.

Thank you Ontarkie for deleting my post.

I'll say I'm surprised that you apologised, NOT because I didn't think that much of you, but because it's a topic that there are rarely apologies over.

So I want to say thank you for the apology. It's a big thing to do on a public forum. So thank you. And if I caused any irritation I apologise, too. It's a tricky subject even between Irish people, let along anyone else who has some knowledge on the matter, too.

I wish you and the OP the best of luck with everything.

History

K-1 Visa

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

I'll say I'm surprised that you apologised, NOT because I didn't think that much of you, but because it's a topic that there are rarely apologies over.

Its good you hold me in such High esteem.... ;)

Well lets put my ignorance on the matter in the past.

Dave Allen.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

:ot2:

~~~Appropriate Action will be taken for any additional off topic posts.~~~

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.