Slpcc

K-1 visa I-129 form & proof of relationship

25 posts in this topic

Hi!

I'm in the middle or filling out form I-129 and had a couple of questions.

1)My fiance's name on his passport is different that that he typically uses (it's in irish on his passport but in all other instances he uses the English spelling), which should be put on the form?

2) He lives in Northern Ireland and was born there, but he carries an irish passport. Do I put country of citizenship as Ireland or uk?

3) they don't ask that he provides proof of meeting in the past 2 years or for details of how we met but he should also write a letter with this info or only me as the petitioner?

Thank you all so much for your help!

Hi!

1)My fiance's name on his passport is different that that he typically uses (it's in irish on his passport but in all other instances he uses the English spelling), which should be put on the form?

2) He lives in Northern Ireland and was born there, but he carries an irish passport. Do I put country of citizenship as Ireland or uk?

3) they don't ask that he provides proof of meeting in the past 2 years or for details of how we met but he should also write a letter with this info or only me as the petitioner?

Here is my understanding.

1 .Use his legal name. The one on his birth certificate / the one on his passport. The one used on all legal documents.

2. Even though he is entitled to carry an Irish Passport and claim Irish citizenship, being born in Northern Ireland makes him a UK citizen. Like it or loathe it that is a fact. Also his medical and interview WILL be done in London. Do not try and force it through Dublin. It will not happen. Others have tried, failed and caused themselves aggravation.

3. For I129F that is primary evidence. You do need to prove you have met at least once in the last two years.

Edited by 2ndMessiah

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Thanks for the quick reply! So even though there is a consulate in belfast they will make him go to London?! So I know I must provide proof of a relationship and write how we met but my question is does he also have to do the same?? Thanks!!!

It has been over 5 years since my wife file I129F and started the ball for me so my memory is fading. But Yes proof of meeting in the last 2 years, pictures and other evidence IS a requirement. There is a good guide and example forms here on this board that I used and things went well.

The Consulate in Belfast ,like the ones in Scotland and Wales do not handle immigration visa's. Only London.

Dave Allen.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi!

For clarification, please make sure you are using the correct form:

Form I -129 = Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker

Form I-129F = Petition for Alien K1 Fiance(e)

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Yes thank you...it's the fiancé visa and I am filling out form I-129 F

Please read the I129F instructions carefully.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Take time to digest what USCIS wants from you and don't just jump straight into the form.

Copies of legal documents, other additional forms, pictures, evidence of your meeting etc.

Dave Allen.

Yes thank you for the information but I've been reviewing these documents on and off for two years now this is not something I'm just filling out on the fly. I'm very aware of all the documents that I need and I required of me my question was only if the non-petitioning fiancé in other words my foreign fiancé also needed to supply documents and his own statement.

Hi there,

We sent ONE letter from both of us explaining how we met and listing our visits to London and San Fran. These were backed up by copies of tickets/boarding cards and stamps in the passport.

Hope this helps!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply! So even though there is a consulate in belfast they will make him go to London?! So I know I must provide proof of a relationship and write how we met but my question is does he also have to do the same?? Thanks!!!

Hello,

You (only) as the petitioner at this stage are the one who has to provide the following as supplement to the I-129F:

1. A letter explaining how you met (if you met online, name the exact site or way you met so they don't think it's IMBRA)(this letter of how you met is different than the letter of intent to marry which I've talked about below).
  2. As much primary evidence of meeting within the past two years as you can provide.

**Obviously, there's many other things you need to submit along with the form-my response is only to your question about the proof of relationship/do both of you need to submit stuff.**

The only things "both" of you need to submit at this point are:

1. A letter of intent to marry. You have to write one, sign and date it and he has to write one, sign and date it (there are examples of the letter here on this site). Make sure he signs it with his original signature and mails it to you (don't have him sign it and then scan/email it to you-sometimes people get away with that, but it's better to be safe than sorry).
  2. Also, the G-325A form. Same thing, have him fill it out, sign and date it, and mail it to you with the letter of intent to marry.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

Edited by shellymarie

Matt & Mish

:) 12/25/13 "Met" online (Instagram)

(L) 5/29/14 Became a couple

:wub: 2/4/15 First meeting in person (I spent almost 3 weeks in Brazil!)

USCIS:

4/24/15 Submitted I-129F

4/30/15 NOA1 paper copy

6/11/15 NOA2 paper copy

NVC:

6/27/15 Case received & case number assigned

6/30/15 Case shipped to Embassy in Rio

EMBASSY:

7/6/15 Case received by Embassy

7/20/15 Received "packet 3" email

9/18/15 Medical exam

9/29/15 Interview-APPROVED!!!

(F)"Every love story is beautiful; but ours is my favorite" (F)

Yes thank you for the information but I've been reviewing these documents on and off for two years now this is not something I'm just filling out on the fly. I'm very aware of all the documents that I need and I required of me my question was only if the non-petitioning fiancé in other words my foreign fiancé also needed to supply documents and his own statement.

Just making sure... Sounds like you have things under control.

Dave Allen.

Just throwing my two cents in here.

I was born in Northern Ireland and have an Irish (ROI) passport. I live in the Republic. On our application we listed the place of birth as the city in NI, and my citizenship is Irish.

See, Northern Ireland is a funny place, and it is an option whether the child is to be an Irish citizen, UK Citizen, or both. This is true (as far as I've been able to research) for any child born in Northern Ireland. Anyone born on the island of Ireland is entitled to be an Irish citizen.

If he has an Irish passport and was born in Northern Ireland he can and probably does claim Irish citizenship. Check his passport. If it says his nationality is Irish, he's Irish. That's what you put on the form.

We're waiting for our NOA2. If they tell me I need to go through London instead of Dublin even though I'm Irish living in ROI, I'll let you know. As your fiancee is living in NI it looks like he will have his interview in London, as it is an immigrant visa. They only do nonimmigrant visas in Belfast.

History
Nov 2005 - Became friends online...... Oct 2006 - Met in person for the first time...... May 2014 - Became girlfriends...... Nov 2014 - I asked her...... Apr 2015 - She asked me

K-1 Visa
2 May 2015 - Mailed I-129F
7 May 2015 - NOA1 received. We got California! (+5 days)
18 June 2015 - NOA2 received. (+6 weeks)

14 July 2015 - NVC received. Had to call them. (+26 days)

23 July 2015 - NVC sent case to Embassy in Dublin. Also had to call the NVC. No notice in mail from NVC and CEAC website still said "At NVC" for 3 more days. (+9 days)

30 July 2015 - Dublin Embassy received case. (+1 week)

31 July 2015 - Packed 3 received after requesting it. It was emailed to Irish Beneficiary. They never contacted US Petitioner as they said they would, probably because I was emailing them already. (+1 day)

4 Aug 2015 - Notification of Readiness emailed to embassy. (+4 days as I had to wait to print necessary documents).

5 Aug 2015 - Medical. Booked before Embassy received case. (Appointment was 9 days after I called to make it)

12 Aug 2015 - Packet 4 received. Notified of interview date. (+8 days after Notification of Readiness was sent).

21 Aug 2015 - INTERVIEW! (+17 days after Notice of Readiness was sent; +22 days after embassy received our case; +106 days, or 15 weeks 1 day, since NOA1)

28 Aug 2015 - Visa Recieved in the mail. (+1 week since interview)

23 Sept 2015 - POE Orlando, FL

9 Oct 2015 - Applied for SSN

17 Oct 2015 - SSN recieved in mail.

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

16 Dec 2015 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

14 Jan 2015 - Biometrics appointment (+1 month)

13 Feb 2015 - GC ISSUED! (+1 month) NO INTERVIEW! And no EAD/AP issued!

For a detailed account of my Medical experience, read my blog post HERE

For a detailed account of my Interview in Dublin, read it HERE

shellymarie and Rinara these were very helpful responses!!! I can't thank you enough. Everything you said was pretty much the route I've been going and so I feel so much better knowing I'm on the right track! I just want to make sure everything is 100% correct and nothing is sent back to me to delay this process. Yes my fiancé's passport specifically says Irish citizenship and his name on the passport is written in Irish so I know now to write everything in the form as it is written in his passport... thank you :)

That would be so great if you're able to tell me where you did your visa interview! Thanks again :)

shellymarie and Rinara these were very helpful responses!!! I can't thank you enough. Everything you said was pretty much the route I've been going and so I feel so much better knowing I'm on the right track! I just want to make sure everything is 100% correct and nothing is sent back to me to delay this process. Yes my fiancé's passport specifically says Irish citizenship and his name on the passport is written in Irish so I know now to write everything in the form as it is written in his passport... thank you :)

That would be so great if you're able to tell me where you did your visa interview! Thanks again :)

No problem.

What could possibly happen, as someone else said before, is that they will see his NI residency as him being UK citizen, which is something you should at least half expect. I found something that said that according to UK law almost everyone born in NI is UK citizen automatically. I'm not sure how this relates to him having an Irish citizenship, Irish passport, etc but living in NI. Or indeed what it might mean for me living on the other side of the border and falling under Irish law.

We shall see! And fingers crossed. I've added you as a friend. :)

History
Nov 2005 - Became friends online...... Oct 2006 - Met in person for the first time...... May 2014 - Became girlfriends...... Nov 2014 - I asked her...... Apr 2015 - She asked me

K-1 Visa
2 May 2015 - Mailed I-129F
7 May 2015 - NOA1 received. We got California! (+5 days)
18 June 2015 - NOA2 received. (+6 weeks)

14 July 2015 - NVC received. Had to call them. (+26 days)

23 July 2015 - NVC sent case to Embassy in Dublin. Also had to call the NVC. No notice in mail from NVC and CEAC website still said "At NVC" for 3 more days. (+9 days)

30 July 2015 - Dublin Embassy received case. (+1 week)

31 July 2015 - Packed 3 received after requesting it. It was emailed to Irish Beneficiary. They never contacted US Petitioner as they said they would, probably because I was emailing them already. (+1 day)

4 Aug 2015 - Notification of Readiness emailed to embassy. (+4 days as I had to wait to print necessary documents).

5 Aug 2015 - Medical. Booked before Embassy received case. (Appointment was 9 days after I called to make it)

12 Aug 2015 - Packet 4 received. Notified of interview date. (+8 days after Notification of Readiness was sent).

21 Aug 2015 - INTERVIEW! (+17 days after Notice of Readiness was sent; +22 days after embassy received our case; +106 days, or 15 weeks 1 day, since NOA1)

28 Aug 2015 - Visa Recieved in the mail. (+1 week since interview)

23 Sept 2015 - POE Orlando, FL

9 Oct 2015 - Applied for SSN

17 Oct 2015 - SSN recieved in mail.

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

16 Dec 2015 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

14 Jan 2015 - Biometrics appointment (+1 month)

13 Feb 2015 - GC ISSUED! (+1 month) NO INTERVIEW! And no EAD/AP issued!

For a detailed account of my Medical experience, read my blog post HERE

For a detailed account of my Interview in Dublin, read it HERE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.