Lelyze

Planning a cruise to Canada, do I need a visa for Canada if my AP is approved?

8 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning to take a 4 day cruise to Canada in 3 weeks. I'm hoping my AP will be approved by then (it's been 72 days so far), but I'm little worried and confused about entering Canada because they require visa for my country (Bosnia and Herzegovina). If I have my AP approved, do I still need a visa? If I do, I guess I can just stay at the boat while others are in canada, but I'm still worried that I might run into some problems. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

You will need a visa to board the boat to Canada. The cruise boat will check, and you will only be allowed to board with a visa. U.S. green card holders are exempt from having a visa. AP is not enough to get you on the boat without a visa.

You will not be allowed to just stay on the boat since you can just leave. The cruise ship checks to make sure you can legally go to Canada before they will allow you to board.

Best of luck

Best of luck.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Working & Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also if you leave the US before your AP is approved you abandon your adjustment of status and void AP and have to redo ( and repay ) You won't be allowed back in the US.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

AP is used to re-enter(be paroled into) the US. If you require a visa to enter another country, then you still need one. If you wait and take your trip after your AOS is approved, then no problem because you will be a US permanent resident and won't need a visa to enter Canada anymore.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Thank you all for your responses. I know I can't leave US without AP, and I would never do something that might cause problems on my AOS. As I said it's been 72 days since my NOA for AOS/EAD/AP and I hope it will be here by the end of June, and waiting for my AOS to be approved might take a long time if we don't get an interview. So we decided to move our trip to July, and apply for visa to Canada. It is a lot of hassle, but the whole family is going (about 20 people) and we really don't want to miss it.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.