mymarley

what short courses is ideal to have a better salary

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can go online and get ordained as a minister.

Open a church I know some preachers bring in lots of money. The successful preachers in my area have their own jets and own massive houses

My mother is a reverend and certainly doesn't have a private jet. I think it took about 4 years for her to complete her studies.

She does make a good living running a cleaning and rental business on a ski hill however. My stepfather is a building manager and paramedic. If a 70 year old man can do those, a younger one can as well.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My mother is a reverend and certainly doesn't have a private jet. I think it took about 4 years for her to complete her studies.

She does make a good living running a cleaning and rental business on a ski hill however. My stepfather is a building manager and paramedic. If a 70 year old man can do those, a younger one can as well.

My parents are Salvation Army officers and maybe make 22k/yr after two years training.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

What do salvation army officers do?

My parents act as pastors, administrators for their children's home, homeless shelter, and thrift stores. Some do social services work running rehab centres, some are strictly administrative on headquarters. Prison chaplains, the list goes on.

Ah good to know. My mother only makes any money from being a reverend by doing wedding and funerals. She loves it, especially weddings. (She's been married 4 times, lol) But the work for her centre is free.

Her cleaning business is pretty good though. She's like a teacher. Works really hard all winter and has the summer mostly off unless a random clean is scheduled. She has a business partner who does handyman work too. But it's a job for a very people oriented person because clients, aka owners, can be hard to please. However the job doesn't require any particular training, but knowing accounting and some business classes helps.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

im asking guys if anyone can give me some idea to what short course to take so i can find better salary... im trying to save now coz i want to study but i dont know what kind.. They said patient care tech is good... any idea.. thank you

Engineering is a two-year Associates degree and pretty much guarantees a good salary.

I have a Masters degree and the people in my office who have an Associates in Engineering make twice as much as I do.

Patient Care IS good. But, if you are going to go that route. I would find a job in caregiving (such as at a place like the Resource Center for people with disabilities) because often your employers will help pay for schooling.

Otherwise, any medical field (nursing, pharmacy, physical therapist) and any technical field (drafting, engineering, IT) guarantee jobs these days. Well, in most cities.

Timeline

You can go online and get ordained as a minister.

Open a church I know some preachers bring in lots of money. The successful preachers in my area have their own jets and own massive houses

Those preachers are rare, and all of them went to some seminary, which is two to four years. They are also scam artists.

I am a pastor, but we only make enough to live on. It is against policy to make more. Many pastors make less than enough to live on, because tithing is low.

Also, seminary is quite expensive. A local college offering technical classes would be cheaper and more beneficial.

Timeline

Those preachers are rare, and all of them went to some seminary, which is two to four years. They are also scam artists.

I am a pastor, but we only make enough to live on. It is against policy to make more. Many pastors make less than enough to live on, because tithing is low.

Scam Artist? I use to go to Fellowship Church in Grapevine and Ed Young is the preacher, he makes $1million plus per year and has a private jet, but I don't judge the guy.

I have also seen preachers who lived average lives have old widowers sign over there will to them or take all their money while they are alive, Seen it more than once time in my life.

That's still an Evangelical type church, not a traditional church like Lutheran, Presbyterian, Anglican, etc... Plus there is only THAT church, in THAT town.

I can tell you my mother is a reverend of religious sciences and does not make enough money to even live off of, never-mind a jet. LOL!!!!

Edited by NLR

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi, the most important thing that you always keep in mind whether you were in the US or in you homeland,, don't be picky on the job!. even your a manager in your country, when you go to the states, you cant be a manager on the spot so you need to start from the low level until you get familiarized your surroundings. have a job experience first in your own country, INDUSTRIAL JOB for me is better. and when your here in the states, you will have to adjust on everything, the culture, people around you, the surroundings and climate. hope it helps you.

Timeline

hi, the most important thing that you always keep in mind whether you were in the US or in you homeland,, don't be picky on the job!. even your a manager in your country, when you go to the states, you cant be a manager on the spot so you need to start from the low level until you get familiarized your surroundings. have a job experience first in your own country, INDUSTRIAL JOB for me is better. and when your here in the states, you will have to adjust on everything, the culture, people around you, the surroundings and climate. hope it helps you.

Incorrect and very bad suggestion

This is not the Philippines where you make $6 per day.

Once you consider yourself not worthy of a good job and good pay then you have just cut your own throat in the workforce.

Find the job you want and negotiate starting salary, I see many people who are new to the US workforce so willing to undersell themselves and start at low wage or think they need to start at the bottom of the ladder just because they are looking for work in the USA.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Incorrect and very bad suggestion

This is not the Philippines where you make $6 per day.

Once you consider yourself not worthy of a good job and good pay then you have just cut your own throat in the workforce.

Find the job you want and negotiate starting salary, I see many people who are new to the US workforce so willing to undersell themselves and start at low wage or think they need to start at the bottom of the ladder just because they are looking for work in the USA.

and what company do you think will offer you 6$/ day in the US? that management will not like to see their self on bar. yup its really different from PI. minimum / hour in US is 8 to 9 depend on the states where you stay...and if you think your skills is capable for the job your applying to why not sell yourself on a higher wages that you want to, above on the minimum that they offer...

what im trying to tell is that if your a new strangers on the country..you cant even jump to a conclusion if you dont have any experience yet. SIR. any way that was just my opinion.

and what company do you think will offer you 6$/ day in the US? that management will not like to see their self on bar. yup its really different from PI. minimum / hour in US is 8 to 9 depend on the states where you stay...and if you think your skills is capable for the job your applying to why not sell yourself on a higher wages that you want to, above on the minimum that they offer...

what im trying to tell is that if your a new strangers on the country..you cant even jump to a conclusion if you dont have any experience yet. SIR. any way that was just my opinion.

Hi :)

I agree with your opinion especially now that I'll be starting to work next week and this is my first ever work here in the US. I think you're right when you said that we should not be picky on getting a job as a start,, I understood what you mean and yes I need to first adjust with the culture, the people so eventually when I have work experience , I can now plan what's best on my career and it's either to go back and study again or look for a more better job that pays more than my current salary.

To OP, you can check on short term medical courses too like medical billing/coding/transcription, it's less expensive too - http://www.medtech.edu/blog/short-term-courses-in-healthcare. There are also training courses you can get from American Red Cross which can help build your resume. I took the CPR/AED/First Aid training there and I think it helps on some hiring hospitals and clinics.

Goodluck and God Bless on your journey :)

Edited by sweet01
710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.