Janelle2002

Condemning non-traditional names smacks of racism

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Most Chinese folks that I know who work for multi-nationals or companies that do business with the west use a western first name for business purposes. Don't tell her that I told y'all but my wife had a progression of names that went like this...Fanny, Echo and finally she landed on Jane, which she has used since before I knew her.

I've always disliked my given; Chris, because of it's androgyny so I've always been a little jealous of being able to choose your own name. Currently I know a Spark, Lick, Rainbow, Seven, Cherry just to name a few.

Unfortunately people will; I think, make judgements based solely on name and also appearance. We've all done it I'm sure. To go further and base decisions on a name alone is wrong but no doubt it happens. I agree that parents should think about it when naming their child, my wife and I are going through that right now as we try to decide on names. Obviously a family name is what it is but I think there is a degree of flexibility in given names. I've used my initials on resumes in the past instead of using my full name. I've had lots of employees use nick names on resumes and then when you see their real name on the job application they are already in the door waiting for an interview.

And Asian people are told to appear less Asian while applying for college admissions as well.

To get into elite colleges, some advised to ‘appear less Asian’

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2015/06/01/college-counselors-advise-some-asian-students-appear-less-asian/Ew7g4JiQMiqYNQlIwqEIuO/story.html

So they basically have to strip themselves of their identity and by doing so they are considered to be "assimilating" into U.S. culture.

My wife came here with a redneck name something like Sally Mae

Everybody that sees it thinks she is from gawga