Wychim

k-1 Visa Questions - Interview [merged threads]

49 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Definitely a red flag in west Africa. Is your husband from a west African country? Check the forums. You will find people from West African countries who have been denied due to including pictures from engagement ceremonies.

I'm just going off of what the op posted in his first post he says that an engagement ceremony is normal for his culture so thus I'm saying a norm in the culture is not a red flag if he is mistaken and having a engagement ceremony is not normal for his country then he is the one that is confused . And yes my profile says jordan so I know that for Muslims it is a common practice to have a engagement ceremony, maybe he is from Ghana and Muslim thus it would be considered normal is all I'm stating . But I do not know if they are Muslim like I said I am just going off the statement where he says "engagement ceremonies are normal in my culture" . Edited by Morganalmonshid94

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm just going off of what the op posted in his first post he says that an engagement ceremony is normal for his culture so thus I'm saying a norm in the culture is not a red flag if he is mistaken and having a engagement ceremony is not normal for his country then he is the one that is confused .

An engagement ceremony is normal in Ghana but it can be considered a legal marriage hence the advice. If gifts were exchanged between family representatives they are considered married. If the OP mentions the engagement it is highly likely that he may be denied.

goofy.gif My K-1 Timeline goofy.gif

12/04/2013 Mailed K-1 packet to Dallas Lockbox USPS Priority Express (overnight)
12/05/2014 K-1 packet recieved
12/09/2013 Received email and text of NOA1
12//2013 Hard copy of NOA1 received
12/13/2013 Called to speak with tier 2 supervisor to fix errors on I-129F & G325A in hopes of preempting RFE
12/19/2013 Alien registration number changed
04/01/2014 NOA2 (apparently changes preempted RFE)
4/11/2014 NVC Received

4/15/2014 NVC left

4/22/2014 Consulate Received

5/07/2014 Picked up packet 1

5/20/2014 Interview 1 (asked to correct error on bring birth certificate and bring more evidence of relationship)

7/29/2014 Interview 2 (passed visa will be issued on 8/01/2014)
Texas Service Center

Timeline

I'm just going off of what the op posted in his first post he says that an engagement ceremony is normal for his culture so thus I'm saying a norm in the culture is not a red flag if he is mistaken and having a engagement ceremony is not normal for his country then he is the one that is confused . And yes my profile says jordan so I know that for Muslims it is a common practice to have a engagement ceremony, maybe he is from Ghana and Muslim thus it would be considered normal is all I'm stating . But I do not know if they are Muslim like I said I am just going off the statement where he says "engagement ceremonies are normal in my culture" .

You are correct The. The OP is confused. I am trying to give him Ghana specific information but it seems as if he doesn't want to take the advice as he posted the same questions on another thread.

12/04/2013 Mailed K-1 packet to Dallas Lockbox USPS Priority Express (overnight)
12/13/2013 Called to speak with tier 2 supervisor to fix errors on I-129F & G325A in hopes of preempting RFE
4/11/2014 NVC Received

4/15/2014 NVC left

5/20/2014 Interview 1 (asked to correct error on bring birth certificate and bring more evidence of relationship)

Texas Service Center

Timeline

Tiff pls dont be too certain.I had a legal engagement in my culture.Not all cultures in ghana are the same.Plus we didnt exchange any marriage rite.Has I said,I have read all that u suggest.My engagement is not qualified as marriage in my culture.

I have advised you but you are set on not flowing the advice. I am telling you what I know. You are asking questions because you are not certain. Your emotions and perception don't matter. What matters is how the CO thinks. Please proceed as you desire. I am done with this thread. I wish you well on your journey.

4/11/2014 NVC Received

4/15/2014 NVC left

Texas Service Center

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

You keep saying engagement! You seriously need to read what I'm saying and listen to the advice! Not to insult your intelligence but one of the fundamental parts of this process is reading and following directions.

I think that you are wrong,engegamnet is not a legit marriage, its only a agrement between two people that they are going to marry, people usually have a engegment party to celebrate with their familly and friends. There is no any reason why he would be denied, this is fiance visa so you are supposed to be engaged. Marriage and engegamnet are really two different things.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think that you are wrong,engegamnet is not a legit marriage, its only a agrement between two people that they are going to marry, people usually have a engegment party to celebrate with their familly and friends. There is no any reason why he would be denied, this is fiance visa so you are supposed to be engaged. Marriage and engegamnet are really two different things.

I've read some threads in here that they've gotten 2nd interview as some CO are very skeptical about engagement coz some were proven that it is already considered as marriage rites. 2nd interview is giving you a chance to prove that it is just an engagement not a marriage. Although for Muslims, yes it is a must to held an engagement first before getting married. We all know what engagement is all about and there's no need to debate about it. She was given advice and maybe she might consider providing strong proof that it is just an engagement and can't be consider as a marriage rites.

Timeline

Answer all the questions with honesty. Try to sync all your previous attempts to your answers as they may ask you why. There's no guarantee that they won't look at your previous attempts. Don't give too much information specially if not asked.

Honestly, those two questions isn't really hard to answer if you're true with your intent. You can post your honest answer here if you're in doubt.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This very much depends on what is normal for the local culture. The person in this thread was trying to help someone get through Ghana. If in Ghana an engagement can be considered a wedding if gifts are exchanged, then the OP could have an issue with the CO telling them they are already married. It has happened.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Engagements are not the same in every country and every culture. I work for an immigration attorney and we have many African clients. I have heard the lawyer tell some of our clients it's better not to mention the engagement if a bridal price was mentioned because that is considered a marriage by some and it will raise a red flag to the CO. Then you may be asked to prove the engagement was not in fact a marriage. You might be asked to get a government document showing what constitutes a customary wedding in your country to prove your engagement is not considered a marriage. I do not know anything about Ghana but have seen this advice given to Nigerians. So it is probably wise to ask the opinion of people who have cases in ghana as they would have better country specific advice.

Timeline

OP mentioned traditional customs and had been given country/regional specific information. I was given the same advice from when I asked this question a couple of years ago. If you have not gone through this particular embassy please don't give incorrect information.

4/11/2014 NVC Received

4/15/2014 NVC left

Texas Service Center

Filed: Timeline

Answer all the questions with honesty. Try to sync all your previous attempts to your answers as they may ask you why. There's no guarantee that they won't look at your previous attempts. Don't give too much information specially if not asked.

Honestly, those two questions isn't really hard to answer if you're true with your intent. You can post your honest answer here if you're in doubt.

These is my candid response. It is important that her family and friends be at the wedding.

We will would want to establish a family so I would like to give my all the support she needs.

Edited by Wychim

Timeline

Ning.please how would you answer these question.

1) How long to intend to stay in the USA after your wedding?

2) Why do you want to have the wedding in the USA?

Is she not going to stay and live in the U.S.? If she is than the answers are obvious. The K-1 is meant for people to come, marry, and adjust....so if she isn't going to stay it wouldn't make sense to use this method. Of course adjusting isn't required and she can leave. Did you file this because the tourist visa got denied and that's when you intended to get married? If she is getting married and leaving just answer with the truths. Always the truth, so I don't know why you need someone else to answer this answer question for you.....just answer with the truth to them.

Timeline

Is she not going to stay and live in the U.S.? If she is than the answers are obvious. The K-1 is meant for people to come, marry, and adjust....so if she isn't going to stay it wouldn't make sense to use this method. Of course adjusting isn't required and she can leave. Did you file this because the tourist visa got denied and that's when you intended to get married? If she is getting married and leaving just answer with the truths. Always the truth, so I don't know why you need someone else to answer this answer question for you.....just answer with the truth to them.

Nevermind, found the answers I was looking for in another thread. Please don't post the questions in multiple threads people are trying to help and answer you, especially when you explain different parts of the story in each....you're making it hard to follow and help.

Edited by Shauneg

Timeline

I invite you to read multiple threads on here. Many many people have been denied because the party looks like a wedding in the COs eyes. It's not what you think or percieve it's the COs. It's best not to mention or show pictures of the engagement party unless specifically asked. You can find dozens of denials on this site for doing just that, many where it's acceptable in the culture to have such parties.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.