35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I am scheduled for K1 visa interview next friday, everyday thinking about it, I was busy gathering all the things needed, suddenly thought about the DS 160 question because when I answered it there's one question I am confuse of which is "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa, been refused admission to United States, or withdrawn your application for admission on the point of entry? I forgot what is my answer to that question because while doing that I am confuse whether I'll answer yes or no, I already sumbitted and pay for it, I didn't know after that not able review the questions again, I think my answer on that was NO because I never been to U.S."The question refused or denied same thing?" but I tried to apply way back 2011 for tourist visa and it was denied because I have no ties from the Country I am currently residing on. Then now I'm afraid it will cause abig problem to me.

Edited by G-J

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I believe you can retrieve it and edit the DS-160. If not then I suggest you make a new one and make sure to bring the new confirmation page (yes, you can do this people do it all the time). You were denied a visa so your answer should have been yes. The denial won't have any effect on your chances of getting a K1 visa but it is important to answer the questions truthfully. So make sure the answer is yes or edit it :)

On ours we said we had been denied a visa when he applied for a tourist visa. It asked for a reason - he wasn't given a specific reason on why he didn't qualify (probably the same reason you were) so we said "Didn't qualify??"

I think you may need to change your answer.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

I tried to check if I can review but can not,I thought of doing a new one but they might have the first confirmation page of my DS 160 and review my answer because I already pay for it, are they going to ask why did I change a new one. Another thing the question "Do I have immediate relative in U.S. I answered No because I don't have but I am searching online, fiance consider as my immediate family?

If I'll do new one do I need to pay again?

Edited by G-J

Timeline

I tried to check if I can review but can not,I thought of doing a new one but they might have the first confirmation page of my DS 160 and review my answer because I already pay for it, are they going to ask why did I change a new one. Another thing the question "Do I have immediate relative in U.S. I answered No because I don't have but I am searching online, fiance consider as my immediate family?

If I'll do new one do I need to pay again?

No, you don't have to pay again. They will only care about the DS-160 that you have the confirmation page for.

No, your fiance is not considered immediate family. Immediate family would be parents and siblings.

Timeline

They will discard the previous one is it? but already submitted to them the confirmation page together with receipt I am afraid it won't tally with barcode number

Edited by G-J

Timeline

They will discard the previous one is it?

Since no one will bring a confirmation page for it, it will eventually just expire. The confirmation page has a bar-code on it that I assume they use to scan and retrieve the DS-160. It says in the information on the DS-160 webpage that if you make an error after submitting it, you should make a new DS-160 and bring the new confirmation page and that the old one will simply expire after a while.

Timeline

I've seen some answers online saying if I did an error with the form I can do a new one but if I have a schedule of interview already I need to rechedule?

No, you do not have to reschedule if you finish the DS-160 before the interview. Your DS-160 is not tied to your interview appointment.

No, your fiance is not considered immediate family. Immediate family would be parents and siblings.

Actually, there was one question that said immediate family. I thought the same thing - parents, siblings, children - but the instructions say spouse or fiance.

Read those instructions carefully! I can't remember if that's the question we answered, but read the instructions on the side of the question and you won't miss it.

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Another option is to leave the DS 160 as it is, but make sure to bring it up at the interview. When you bring it up, tell the whole story including the confusion about the question. This is fine to do. It is based on the principal of timely retraction. If you decide to do this, you MUST NOT FORGET TO BRING IT UP AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY.

Timeline

Actually, there was one question that said immediate family. I thought the same thing - parents, siblings, children - but the instructions say spouse or fiance.

Read those instructions carefully! I can't remember if that's the question we answered, but read the instructions on the side of the question and you won't miss it.

I about to do a new one now and you are correct I am not paying attention with some instructions or help on the side of the question, fiance/fiancee is included as immediate family.

Thanks for all your help, hope it won't matter if I bring new confirmation page with me.

Timeline

But will it be a problem because when I applied tourist visa back in 2011 I also filled up Ds 160 as well.I think there's also a question whether I know someone or If I have a relatives in US? I can't totally remember but I answered NO, though I was in relationship with my Bf/fiance that time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I about to do a new one now and you are correct I am not paying attention with some instructions or help on the side of the question, fiance/fiancee is included as immediate family.

Thanks for all your help, hope it won't matter if I bring new confirmation page with me.

Yes! Glad someone caught that for you. A fiance is considered immediate family for that form and it says so on there. It won't matter just bring the new one and if they ask just tell them you realized you made a mistake, they won't care cause they just want the accurate truth. People are human and make mistakes, it's the lies that get you in trouble.

But will it be a problem because when I applied tourist visa back in 2011 I also filled up Ds 160 as well.I think there's also a question whether I know someone or If I have a relatives in US? I can't totally remember but I answered NO, though I was in relationship with my Bf/fiance that time.

Doesn't matter at all. Has no bearing on the K-1 except you must put you were denied a tourist visa....they're not going to care about your answers on the old one.

Timeline

Yes! Glad someone caught that for you. A fiance is considered immediate family for that form and it says so on there. It won't matter just bring the new one and if they ask just tell them you realized you made a mistake, they won't care cause they just want the accurate truth. People are human and make mistakes, it's the lies that get you in trouble.

Doesn't matter at all. Has no bearing on the K-1 except you must put you were denied a tourist visa....they're not going to care about your answers on the old one.

So once they ask for all my documents I'll just give them the new confirmation page?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.