We Keep Receipts

Leaders of Jewish Hasidic sect in Stamford Hill 'ban' women from driving

18 posts in this topic

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/leaders-of-jewish-hasidic-sect-in-stamford-hill-ban-women-from-driving-10280786.html

The leaders of an Orthodox Jewish sect in north London have reportedly declared that women should not be allowed to drive in a letter sent out to the community.

Rabbis from the Belz Hasidic sect in Stamford Hill have said women driving cars contravenes “the traditional rules of modesty in our camp” and the conventions of hasidic institutions, according to a report by the Jewish Chronicle.

The letter, which was signed by Belz educational leaders and endorsed by rabbis, also said women could be banned from their schools if their mothers drove them from August onwards.

It cited increasing numbers of “mothers of pupils who have started to drive” which it said had led to “great resentment among parents of pupils of our institutions”.

Stamford Hill's residents are predominately Hasidic Jewish and only New York is believed to have a larger community of Hasidic Jews outside of Israel.

Dina Brawer, UK Ambassador of the Jewish Orthodox Feminist Alliance, said the instructions within the letter had no scriptural foundation and could prove debilitating for Jewish women.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

It's not the religion, it's the people who screw it up.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

You know it. If this was a Muslim community in the UK, lost or one of the other usual suspects would have posted this and lamented the rise of Sharia in the west. But since these are good Jewish folks, there's no interest in this story. Much like nobody cares about the roles of women in the Amish communities in the good ole' US of A. They're good Bible folk, after all.

Hey MBD, should we mock this or just let it go? Since apparently it's completely acceptable to let someone generalize an entire demographic of people, but God forbid we make fun of such hatred...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey MBD, should we mock this or just let it go? Since apparently it's completely acceptable to let someone generalize an entire demographic of people, but God forbid we make fun of such hatred...

Personally I'd just blame the gung ho, hoo-ah, manifest destiny crowd for effing up the entire middle east under the premise that might makes right. Idiots.

Conservative interpretations of any religious ideology are invariably oppressive.

But which do you care about more?

Women's rights in general? Or women's right being curtailed by Muslims?

Why do you ask a question you already know the answer to?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Why do you ask a question you already know the answer to?

I guess I believe that sometimes people will have the balls to pony up and say, without ambiguity, what they really think. Being genuine is a lot more respectable than hiding behind BS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No woman, no drive
No woman, no drive,
Say, say..
Say, I remember when you use to sit,
In the family car, but backseat.
Ova-ovaries all safe and well,
So you can make lots and lots of babies.
Good friends we had, and good friends we lost,
On the highway.
In this bright future,
You can't forget your past,
So put you car key away.
No woman, no drive,
No woman no drive.
Hey little sister, don't touch that wheel,
No woman, no drive.
I remember when you use to sit,
In the family car, but backseat.
Of course the driver can take you everywhere
Because the queens don't driiive.
But you can cook for me my dinner,
Of which I'd share with you.
Your feet is your only carriage,
But only inside the house - and when I say it, I mean it.
Everything is gonna be alright,
Everything is gonna be alright,
Everything is gonna be alright..
No woman, no drive
No woman, no drive.
O my little sisters, don't touch that wheel,
No woman no drive.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I guess I believe that sometimes people will have the balls to pony up and say, without ambiguity, what they really think. Being genuine is a lot more respectable than hiding behind BS.

You do realize where we are right?

That would be wrong.

Of course, because making fun is way worse than demonizing someone...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Women shouldn't be allowed to drive and religion has nothing to do with it.

Post designed to denigrate etc etc lol

I kind of miss the old days of bizarre random over the top schizophrenic moderation. It gave us something to post about besides Marvin 10 race baiting posts a a day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Only 10?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”