New User 1000

Refused at US Consulate in Montreal

357 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!!!

I'm the only one left from our initial team lol!!! :D I'm going to miss you all!!!! :luv:
I wish you all the happiness in the world!! You guys have been amazing with your support!!!
I will continue trying to get an answer through the congressman and senator and sending emails to everybody that I could possibly involve on this.
Have a great weekend!! :)

Hang in there Idy. I know it's hard but I am praying that you will be next. Can't wait to do the happy dance for you.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everybody! I feel like I am at my breaking point and need to have a little rant so please bear with me. I am a Canadian citizen and my fiance is American. I had my interview at the Montreal consulate on Sept 21, 2015 and haven't received any update on my case since. The consular officer told me I would have my visa 1-2 weeks after my interview, which was approved, and no request for additional documents has been given. We have contacted the consulate, the congressman of PA, my Member of Parliament, lawyers, but have gotten nowhere. It's extremely frustrating because like others, we went ahead and planned our wedding in what we thought was more than enough time from the time we started this crazy process (we booked our wedding for Oct 11, a year after we filed), given the consulate and other sites have said the entire process takes only 8-10 months, as long as you don't run into any issues. The consulate's website even says it's takes "approximately 5 business days" for them to process visas upon approval.

Suffice to say, I need a lot of positive vibes, and will of course be sending those in similar situations positive vibes as well.

I can't believe it takes so long to process a few pieces of paperwork. I brought my fiance's letter of employment, proof of domicile and bank records (which they never asked me for). They obtained copies of my passport, birth certificate, my DS-160, affidavit of support, and my fiance's current income tax report.

The most upsetting part was we were expecting our families and his children (from a previous marriage) to be involved in our wedding, and it is just too hectic working around so many people's schedules, and my fiance is losing out on a lot of time for work trying to make all of our plans work out.

Yeah, it's just depressing. Rant done.

Edited by mrs_xsnsn327

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Today is the last day of 2 weeks, so it still could happen in the timeframe they said :)

I will think positive for you and hope you have a lovely wedding, on schedule!

2009/09/30 Married
IR-1 begins: 2015/07/07 Courier I-130 petition to Chicago

2015/07/08 Petition delivered | NOA1 date
2015/07/10 Received emailed NOA1 (California) 2015/07/20 Received snail mail NOA1
2015/08/25 NOA2 by email/USCIS site (48 days) 2015/09/02 Received snail mail NOA2

2015/09/15 Received by NVC (21 days)

2015/09/27 Case number assigned (12 days) 2015/09/28 Got case number and IIN over the phone
2015/09/28 Submitted DS-261 2015/09/29 Paid AOS fee (IN PROCESS) 2015/10/01 AOS fee PAID
2015/10/13 Received NVC Welcome Letter hard copy
2015/10/15 Reviewed DS-261 (17 days)
2015/10/16 Received IV Invoice 2015/10/16 Paid IV fee (IN PROCESS)

2015/10/17 Submitted AOS package & IV package 2015/10/19 IV fee PAID 2015/10/19 Submitted DS-260 (scan date)

2015/10/20 Re-sent files (new scan date) 2015/10/29 CASE COMPLETE!

2015/11/13 Heard about interview date (phone) (15 days) 2015/12/07 Medical

2015/12/18 INTERVIEW! 221(g) request for additional sponsor. Otherwise good to go!

2016/01/07 Additional information and passport sent back to Mtl Consulate.

2016/01/12 Passport & 221g delivered to Consulate

2016/01/14 Status updated on CEAC; no update yet on ais.usvisa-info.com

2016/01/28 Status updated to READY 2016/01/29 Status updated to ISSUED

2016/02/01 Received Canada Post info 2016/02/03 Got it!

2016/02/04 POE YVR

2016/03/18 Received green card

2018/11/08 Submitted N-400 online

2018/11/09 Estimated wait time: 31 Days  2018/11/09 Estimated case completion time: 11 months

2018/11/10 Biometrics appt scheduled 2018/11/13 Appointment letter received online

2018/11/27 Biometrics appt

2019/02/25 Interview scheduled

2019/04/01 Interview: APPROVED

2019/04/23 Oath Ceremony

2020/04/03 Elected to local office

Timeline

Hey everybody! I feel like I am at my breaking point and need to have a little rant so please bear with me. I am a Canadian citizen and my fiance is American. I had my interview at the Montreal consulate on Sept 21, 2015 and haven't received any update on my case since. The consular officer told me I would have my visa 1-2 weeks after my interview, which was approved, and no request for additional documents has been given. We have contacted the consulate, the congressman of PA, my Member of Parliament, lawyers, but have gotten nowhere. It's extremely frustrating because like others, we went ahead and planned our wedding in what we thought was more than enough time from the time we started this crazy process (we booked our wedding for Oct 11, a year after we filed), given the consulate and other sites have said the entire process takes only 8-10 months, as long as you don't run into any issues. The consulate's website even says it's takes "approximately 5 business days" for them to process visas upon approval.

Suffice to say, I need a lot of positive vibes, and will of course be sending those in similar situations positive vibes as well.

I can't believe it takes so long to process a few pieces of paperwork. I brought my fiance's letter of employment, proof of domicile and bank records (which they never asked me for). They obtained copies of my passport, birth certificate, my DS-160, affidavit of support, and my fiance's current income tax report.

The most upsetting part was we were expecting our families and his children (from a previous marriage) to be involved in our wedding, and it is just too hectic working around so many people's schedules, and my fiance is losing out on a lot of time for work trying to make all of our plans work out.

Yeah, it's just depressing. Rant done.

"mrs_xsnsn327" so sorry that you are still waiting. All of us who have been on this particular Forum have walked in your shoes or worst. If you were told at interview that your visa was APPROVED you may want to read the posts under "Waiting for our passports from Montreal" vs this Forum where most were actually issued 221g at interview for one reason or another. MTL is slow but even more slow if after interview they need to do a more detailed review. Are you a Canadian citizen by birth? If yes and there is nothing that bubbled up after your interview then it's probably MTL being their usual SLOW self. Hang in there. Hopefully the new week will bring you good answers.

Timeline

I am a Canadian citizen by birth. My biggest concern is that my status hasn't been update, nor does it look like it has even been looked at since my interview date. It's still saying ready for documents, fingerprints, etc. If you have attended your interview, check your status after two business days. I'm beyond perturbed with the MTL consulate and am trying to explore lawyer options. I've contacted congress and the senate at this point.

Honestly, contacting your congressman when you're within the window is kind of extreme, a lawyer is a waste of money.

Is there anything other than... what seems to be a normal wait that has you so angry at Montreal?

Usually you're looking at a couple of weeks of processing, then a day or two of nothing, then a couple of days or more for Loomis. And that's to be on the safe side, yeah some people have gotten theirs ASAP, but not EVERYONE gets theirs asap. MOST peoples problems end up being on the loomis side, either loomis taking a while to ship it out or not alerting them when it's shipped. Processing times do not include loomis shipping.

There was one person that waited 4 weeks from interview date until they got ISSUED on CEAC, they were K1, maybe shooting them a PM could help since they've experienced a long wait as well. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/302129-waiting-for-our-passports-from-montreal/page-97

While you're saying on the site it says five business days, if you look to the right you can see it says " The All Other Nonimmigrant Visa wait time DOES NOT include K or V visa applications, which are processed similar to immigrant visas."

Have you sent them an inquiry about it, and what was the response? (It should have been for you to wait two weeks from your interview date before inquiring, or even saying wait a month, but just curious).

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

My fiance contacted the congressman because we were growing frustrated over the lack of answers, and quite frankly, the failed repeated attempts to contact the consulate with no response. I was told by the consulate a week ago that my case was being processed, but there hasn't been any update on my case since the 21st of Sept, which was exactly 2 weeks ago. I'm frustrated with the consulate because I am a natural born Canadian citizen, and I provided what was requested the day of the interview, with no further requirements since then. I could understand that my case would be taking some time if it was in AP, but it never has been.

Also, I'm not sure which site you are using where something is posted on the right? I'm getting information directly from the Montreal consulate website: http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/visas/visas/immigrant-visas/visa-adjudication/if-a-visa-is-approved.html

I've sent them inquires, my fiance has sent inquires. We get the standard automated email message back. The last two inquires I have made have gone unanswered.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello, does any one know how long it takes the Montreal Consulate to respond after they requested additional documents? I was asked to send a joint sponsor.

Thanks

Timeline

Hello, does any one know how long it takes the Montreal Consulate to respond after they requested additional documents? I was asked to send a joint sponsor.

Thanks

Hi!!

Send it as soon as you can, they could take from a couple of weeks and up to 60 days, they are so slow!!

good luck!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks

Hey, I had to send an I-864A to the Consulate post-interview. I sent my docs on Oct 8 via Loomis. The were delivered to the offsite facility on Oct 9. The Consulate received the docs on Oct 14 (I think), and my Visa was issued on Oct 21. Waiting for my waybill, but hoping to have my passport back by Monday - fingers crossed!

That's just my experience, but they seem to be moving pretty quick lately (if it's not a complicated case). Just submit those docs ASAP, while things are still moving.

Cheers, hope you see ISSUED soon :)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you very much for your info. Fingers crossed :)

Did the officer kept your passport? Or you had to send it with your I-864?

The officer kept my passport, and told me I would be approved when the document was received.

It was pretty quick considering some of the horror stories I have read on here. Though I applied for an F2A Visa, and have been waiting almost 2 years for my Visa.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.