16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

First of all, I have not created a timeline because we have not filed yet....

1.) I am trying to get accurate information on DCF filing in Ukraine.

I am a US citizen with Ukrainian residency... We want to file for a CR-1, and understand that a DCF filing is excepted for Ukrainian residents. Can someone confirm that this is a accurate information...

2.) I have had a prior marriage over 30 years ago and do not recall much in the matters of divorce. I have had an attorney do a database search to see if they can find any information for the termination of marriage.... They cannot find any records in the national database... My question is: do I still list as a prior marriage?

Thank you very much....

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

1) You can't file DCF in Ukraine. There is no USCIS field office

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-immigration-offices

2) Yes.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline

This is what is confusing.....

ball.gif Consulate offers Direct Consular Filing? Yes ball.gif If so, for all or only for US citizen who is lawfully resident in your country? Residents_Only

On question 2...

I can not produce a divorce decree for a marriage that ended more than 30 years ago....and there is no record of the marriage

When we were married we used last divorce which had to have apostille....and that marriage ended 15 years ago....

Edited by Hairball

Timeline

1) Where did you get that information? Just check the link I provided. There is no USCIS field office.

2) You will have to take your chances. But if they out of any reason, find a previous marriage, and you ticked "no", have a lot of fun sorting that out.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline

1.) info on DCF Ukraine

www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Ukraine&cty=Kiev

2.) The reverse could happen.....I could tick "yes" and list 2 marriages, but they could only find information and documents for one...then I would be screwed, yes?

or is it a case damn if you do...damn if you don't

Timeline

1) You will have to decide, if the information that was entered sometime on VJ is more accurate, or the information I provided TODAY with references.

2) Yes, you will have to take your chances either way you think will be the lesser evil.

Timeline

Thanks Mark...I just think I answered my own question with todays information from the US Embassy Kyiv....I will call to make sure :)

American citizens can file an I-130 petition with the Embassy for the following categories of immediate relatives:

• Spouse (IR-1 or CR-1 visas)
  • Unmarried child under 21 years old (IR-2 visa)
  • Step-child, if the marriage that created the relationship took place before the child's 18th birthday (CR-2 or IR-2 visas)
  • Parent, if the petitioner is at least 21 years old (visa IR-5)

Important Information For Petitioners

• When completing the petition, be sure to list ALL names previously and currently used by the beneficiary, including maiden or prior married names as well as alternate spellings. Failure to do so will result in a delay of visa issuance.
  • A separate form must be filed for each eligible relative/beneficiary.
  • The fee for filing each I-130 petition is $420, payable either in U.S. dollars or Ukrainian hryvnias cash.

Filed: Timeline

<p>Thanks Mark...I just think I answered my own question with todays information from the US Embassy Kyiv....I will call to make sure :)American citizens can file an I-130 petition with the Embassy for the following categories of immediate relatives:

• Spouse (IR-1 or CR-1 visas)
  • Unmarried child under 21 years old (IR-2 visa)
  • Step-child, if the marriage that created the relationship took place before the child's 18th birthday (CR-2 or IR-2 visas)
  • Parent, if the petitioner is at least 21 years old (visa IR-5)
Important Information For Petitioners
  • When completing the petition, be sure to list ALL names previously and currently used by the beneficiary, including maiden or prior married names as well as alternate spellings. Failure to do so will result in a delay of visa issuance.
  • A separate form must be filed for each eligible relative/beneficiary.
  • The fee for filing each I-130 petition is $420, payable either in U.S. dollars or Ukrainian hryvnias cash.

I don't know where on the Embassy site you got that information, but take a look at http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/i-130.html. It states that you must file the I-130 with the Chicago lockbox unless you have some exceptional circumstance. IF there is, you need to contact the consular section at the Embassy and provide the information so they can ask USCIS to consider letting you file locally (DCF).

Timeline

Wherever you found that information it is wrong and/or outdated. If you read the most current info found here

http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/i-130.html

it clearly states that all petitions have to filed over the Chicago Lockbox. If you get a different info from the embassy, keep us updated.

Timeline

This is very confusing.....I live in Kyiv....when I click on the links both of you provide I get a 404 code....when I toggle from .ua to .com I get different info for the same web address......But this is Ukraine and anything can happen for no reason....or if nobody knows the law, they just make up one.

I will check with the Embassy and get the facts....I will keep you all posted, and thank you :)

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline
Here it is....

Dear Mr. Hariball,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Please send us a request for local I-130 petition filing. We will forward your request to USCIS in Moscow and if it is approved, you will be able to file a petition in Kyiv.

Sincerely,

Public Liaison Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy

Kyiv, Ukraine

fax (380)44 521 - 5425

Please visit the Embassy web-site at http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/ (http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/) for additional information about Consular services.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 1:25 PM

To: Kyiv, IV

Subject: Filing I-130

Dear Sirs or Madam,

My name is Hairball I am a USC with legal Temporary Residence in Ukraine. I am married to a Ukrainian citizen and want to file CR-1 spousal visa. I understand I may do Direct Consular Filing since I am resident of Ukraine and living in Kyiv.

How do I file form I-130 with you, and what other documents are required.

With Respect,

Hariball

They are just saying, that they will forward your request. If it will be approved is the other questions. Then you still have to file the petition.

• 3 weeks later...

ok here is the scoop on DCF in Kiev- how I know? my Wife and myself JUST returned to Odessa after doing JUST this as in TODAY... we first went to Moscow as THEY MUST approve and have the final say about any and all DCF's in Kiev.... they said go back to Kiev which we did.... I had an appt. at American Citizen Services under the 'notarize or other services not listed'. Got to the window and Ukrainian lady said they do NOT deal with this at all... walked over to where they DO but did not have a number- DID ask a man on the other side of the glass- gave him my cover letter which expains in 1 minute WHY i am there trying to do DCF- he said go over to this desk- it is the desk that you would go to IF you were NOT an american citizen and you take the left door to stand in front of this desk- explained the man said I needed a number (paper ticket)- he asked for what and pressed the button and printed it for me and handed it to me... waited maybe 5 mins and my number is up- went there and was again on the other side of the glass as another ukrainian lady (really more 'Soviet'- I said what i wanted and she pulled out the checklist of items and asked for EACH and every form and so on slowly and methodically... (In the VERY beginning she also said go to the next window- cashier and pay the money- which i did), can you please give me your completed I-130... which I did... next was i think G 325 for my Wife and myself.... she commented where are the photos attached- i handed her OUR photos and she cut them out, put them in a small plasic bag and attached them to each of our G- 325s... each time another form and each time she checked off the box... repeated until the last question- do you have any email, skype logs, photos you wish us to consider- yeah like 100... NOTE- to ANYONE trying to do ANY type of marriage Visa... you MUST think in NEW ways- WHY??? the usual PROOF of marriage - the list joint property and so on- MOST of this list just is NOT available in Ukraine.... hence why I had MANY wedding pictures, skype logs dating back 3.5 years and so on.... I gave it all to her and she said sit and you will be called again.... the same man who helped me before called us... swore us in, asked not MANY questions, but the ones you would expect- How did you meet and so on.... he spoke Russian to my Wife- so i said IN RUSSIAN- she speaks English.... think about it- IF you live in Ukraine and are trying to do DCF- my thoughts- you MUST speak Russian... which I do and some Ukrainian as well... AFTER this 15 or so minutes.... he said okay... there are some steps with your application that must be done.... WHEN we NEED something from you we will email you for this information... i asked about WHAT time frame- and NOW we all KNOW why there is not so much info on DCF in Kiev- he said- I am not sure because we only do 2 or 3 of these a year.... anyway he said it will be a few weeks..... I offered for him to also take ALL my other documents- financial documents, PROOF of maintaining a domicile in the USA (needed), proof my Wife's family game me 'Propiska' and MUCH MUCH MUCH more... he said no that is for later... i also asked IF I will be required to be at any other interviews in Kiev and he said no.... without going into details- please google- the 'exceptions list that allows people to do DCF'..... all in all this was one of the easiest best filing experiences I have ever had with any governmental organization.... in closing as I am tired from sitting on Gunsel and then the marshutka back...

let me add my little credentials:- ALL as in each and every one i filed myself-

5 Ukrainian Fiances.... 3 Fiance Visa.... I cancelled the first shortly after filing (NOA 1 was like in 1 month)... the second one= Ukrainian Wife in America for 8 years...START to admission to USA was about 3.5 months), the 3rd- i sent her back to Ukraine shortly after she arrived in America- 7 months from NOA 1 to Visa issuance

100 % Legal resident in Ukraine and total time in Ukraine in my life about 2 to 2.5 years

just one thing- after you make your documents, put them down... and look at them with a microscope tomorrow... and repeat this for a few days... ONE little mistake (such as the 'newer way of spelling Ukrainian girls names- CCCP to Ukrainian to English- for an example: Anastasia is NOW Anastasiia, Yulia is NOW Yuliia... PAY attention to the 'two I's !!!!)... ONE little mistake... have you divorce documents apostilled and with you and so on...

OH and so you know- on the I 130 IF you put your Ukrainian address for your current address (ummm well that I thought actually IS my address...well because it IS my address)- the Ukrainian woman taking my forms said I MUST put my address in America... which she let me write in on the sopt

do NOT forget to check and recheck to the point you have dreams about these forms- you MAY be surprised the tiniest of things you let slip by

good luck and time to listen to Armin on Kiss FM...friday nights

so the answer seems to be THIS:

is DCF allowed in Kiev= yes I just did it

BUT keep in mind- Kiev must first completely approve it and THEN Moscow MUST give final approval or denial.... and if this happens it goes back to the States and joins a PILE at the Chicago Lock Box

Good luck to all of you trying to do this !

I'll update all with timelines as they become available

• 2 weeks later...

ok here is i guess my FINAL update on DCF In Kiev as I JUST did it... VISA APPROVED IN 11 DAYS START TO FINISH AND THAT IS NOT A MISPRINT !!!!

i will NOT EVER say what question/questions were asked of my Wife... BUT since I speak Russian i know...sorry guys/girls... plz respect this okay

medical as usual the day before

I made appt for US Citizen services one hour before my Wife's interview... as chance would have it- it was raining...as such this completely changes the traffic/taxi system in Kiev... we ended up going together and got there at her appt. time

I went to one of the guys outside and showed him OUR passports (Wife was taking care of paying taxi guy and so on)- i also had her visa appt. doc printed out but did not want it to get wet- he reckognized us from the last time... prob because my Wife is actually rather unforgetable due to her unique features and so on... anyway he said no purses allowed which i SHOULD have remembered so we could go in at the same time- walked across the street to the lockers in the truck- returned to my Wife not knowing anything...asking for her phone and so on... guys and girls; NO PURSES!!!! Levae it ALL home !!!! your phone can be left inside the doors at the embassy- LEAVE THE PURSES HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

came back- got in ASAP...I could not believe and was expecting for me to sit in a somewhat separate area from Wife... you know with forms and so on JUST IN case she needed something- which it actually turned out she DID need: ORIGINAL police certificate !!! OYE ! Which amen i had...

anyway this guy letting us in said I CAN support my Wifes interview standing next to her and so on...

inside wnet to the LEFT check in just inside the door- the guy sitting at the table asked for a sequential list of required documents but NOT... REPEAT NOT IN THE ORDER AS IS ON THE VISA INTERVIEW CHECKLIST.... anyway i did not expect that- anyway gave the guy all he asked for- was handed a paper ticket with numebr on it and we sat

got called to a window and was again asked for some additional documents AND to pay another fee- i shoed her the receipt for the $ 420 and she said no another fee is required... went to the cashier window, paid and returned... was a sked a couple of things STILL expecting i could not be physically present next to my Wife for her in person interview- this Ukrainian lady said- ok sit and wait for you number to be called and this was the same number

a few mins later we are called to the same window where we initially handed in our CR1 Visa application... and it was the same person- we all reckognized each other... he kind of chuckled and smiled and i said- long time no see...

now mind you my Wife and I had JUST got off the bus from Odessa... 6 hours... seriously was 104 or so in the bus... 85 % humidity with of course AC that they ONLY used for the first 10 mins of the trip to Kiev

(a side note- IF you are in Odessa and want or NEED (as in our case)- goet from Odessa to Kiev IN TOURIST SEASON (!!!) expect the trains and buses to not have seats and to be sold out- i think that we were going on a sunday night made it much worse- MANY MANY people at the bus station (not near Privoz)- even marshutkas filled...)

anyway we were POOPED for this.... got to window, man had my Wife read the document on the counter- she asked if she could read it in Russian and he asaid yes... the form is in Ukr/Rus. and Eng.... she read it... he asked her some 'things' which i understood and then he said- you Visa is approved, you will get your passport in a week or so... talk about shock !!!!!!!!!!!!! he then handed my Wife the 'paying the immig. fee. form and off we went

that was 11 days start to finish people... so all i can say ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:

I AM DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think this must be a world record

BUT some side notes and comments as i DONT think my Wife and myself just showing up for filing application AND interview TOGETHER made this so much faster

here are my guesses, insights or whatever you want to call them:

I had WAY TOO MUCH Proof and documents supporting I met my Wife 3.6 years ago AND could proove it- ex: SKYPE log dted 3 years ago with me saying- happy 5 month anniversary Baby)- cant as in CANT fake that... and MANY MANY MANY others

we recently went to the Embassy in Moscow TOGETHER.... Moscow said go back to Kiev where the application MUST be filed and was also told WE ( the Emb. in Moscow control if your Application will be approved or denied)... i just 'feel' this played a part in all of this- cant fake a Wife and Husband TRYING to file together in Moscow, referred to Kiev where these same couple show up and make this application... add to this IF the person we spoke with in Moscow - IF our application actually was seen by the same person eyes= slam dunk= cant fake that at ALL

as you know there currently MUST be 'exceptions' to even be considered for DCF... and WE as in BOTH my Wife AND I- each of us had a STRONG exception possibility to do DCF... i BELIEVE without these... maybe my Wife's exception OR my exception alone would not have pushed it over the tilting point... but BOTH of our STRONG excetions I thinke helped this entire process

impossible to know but i think all of this played a part

i also STRONGLY advise- you MUST know, understand AND speak Russian..... it is impossible for me to believe this was NOT a HUGE part of this... as well as how many years total I ahve lived in Ukraine

for a laugh:

so for now I am putting the crown on myself for being the King- and if anyone can dethrone me please do so and write about it here !!!

and then reality of being in Ukraine set in:

taxi ride in pouring rain... and how is THIS for Ukraine again getting some revenge:

marshutka- 6 hours, of course NO AC BUT- about 1/3 of the wat to Odessa the sound ONLY on the vides starts playing of course in FULL BLAST volume- people complained but nothing was done....2/3 of the way to Odessa the video start showing.... cool show.... when we werre about 10 minutes from Odessa I say to my Wife:

I got really caught up in this show and want to see how it ends... so i will take this marshutka back to Kiev to see how it ends

ok here is i guess my FINAL update on DCF In Kiev as I JUST did it... VISA APPROVED IN 11 DAYS START TO FINISH AND THAT IS NOT A MISPRINT !!!!

i will NOT EVER say what question/questions were asked of my Wife... BUT since I speak Russian i know...sorry guys/girls... plz respect this okay

medical as usual the day before

I made appt for US Citizen services one hour before my Wife's interview... as chance would have it- it was raining...as such this completely changes the traffic/taxi system in Kiev... we ended up going together and got there at her appt. time

I went to one of the guys outside and showed him OUR passports (Wife was taking care of paying taxi guy and so on)- i also had her visa appt. doc printed out but did not want it to get wet- he reckognized us from the last time... prob because my Wife is actually rather unforgetable due to her unique features and so on... anyway he said no purses allowed which i SHOULD have remembered so we could go in at the same time- walked across the street to the lockers in the truck- returned to my Wife not knowing anything...asking for her phone and so on... guys and girls; NO PURSES!!!! Levae it ALL home !!!! your phone can be left inside the doors at the embassy- LEAVE THE PURSES HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

came back- got in ASAP...I could not believe and was expecting for me to sit in a somewhat separate area from Wife... you know with forms and so on JUST IN case she needed something- which it actually turned out she DID need: ORIGINAL police certificate !!! OYE ! Which amen i had...

anyway this guy letting us in said I CAN support my Wifes interview standing next to her and so on...

inside wnet to the LEFT check in just inside the door- the guy sitting at the table asked for a sequential list of required documents but NOT... REPEAT NOT IN THE ORDER AS IS ON THE VISA INTERVIEW CHECKLIST.... anyway i did not expect that- anyway gave the guy all he asked for- was handed a paper ticket with numebr on it and we sat

got called to a window and was again asked for some additional documents AND to pay another fee- i shoed her the receipt for the $ 420 and she said no another fee is required... went to the cashier window, paid and returned... was a sked a couple of things STILL expecting i could not be physically present next to my Wife for her in person interview- this Ukrainian lady said- ok sit and wait for you number to be called and this was the same number

a few mins later we are called to the same window where we initially handed in our CR1 Visa application... and it was the same person- we all reckognized each other... he kind of chuckled and smiled and i said- long time no see...

now mind you my Wife and I had JUST got off the bus from Odessa... 6 hours... seriously was 104 or so in the bus... 85 % humidity with of course AC that they ONLY used for the first 10 mins of the trip to Kiev

(a side note- IF you are in Odessa and want or NEED (as in our case)- goet from Odessa to Kiev IN TOURIST SEASON (!!!) expect the trains and buses to not have seats and to be sold out- i think that we were going on a sunday night made it much worse- MANY MANY people at the bus station (not near Privoz)- even marshutkas filled...)

anyway we were POOPED for this.... got to window, man had my Wife read the document on the counter- she asked if she could read it in Russian and he asaid yes... the form is in Ukr/Rus. and Eng.... she read it... he asked her some 'things' which i understood and then he said- you Visa is approved, you will get your passport in a week or so... talk about shock !!!!!!!!!!!!! he then handed my Wife the 'paying the immig. fee. form and off we went

that was 11 days start to finish people... so all i can say ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:

I AM DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think this must be a world record

BUT some side notes and comments as i DONT think my Wife and myself just showing up for filing application AND interview TOGETHER made this so much faster

here are my guesses, insights or whatever you want to call them:

I had WAY TOO MUCH Proof and documents supporting I met my Wife 3.6 years ago AND could proove it- ex: SKYPE log dted 3 years ago with me saying- happy 5 month anniversary Baby)- cant as in CANT fake that... and MANY MANY MANY others

we recently went to the Embassy in Moscow TOGETHER.... Moscow said go back to Kiev where the application MUST be filed and was also told WE ( the Emb. in Moscow control if your Application will be approved or denied)... i just 'feel' this played a part in all of this- cant fake a Wife and Husband TRYING to file together in Moscow, referred to Kiev where these same couple show up and make this application... add to this IF the person we spoke with in Moscow - IF our application actually was seen by the same person eyes= slam dunk= cant fake that at ALL

as you know there currently MUST be 'exceptions' to even be considered for DCF... and WE as in BOTH my Wife AND I- each of us had a STRONG exception possibility to do DCF... i BELIEVE without these... maybe my Wife's exception OR my exception alone would not have pushed it over the tilting point... but BOTH of our STRONG excetions I thinke helped this entire process

impossible to know but i think all of this played a part

i also STRONGLY advise- you MUST know, understand AND speak Russian..... it is impossible for me to believe this was NOT a HUGE part of this... as well as how many years total I ahve lived in Ukraine

for a laugh:

so for now I am putting the crown on myself for being the King- and if anyone can dethrone me please do so and write about it here !!!

and then reality of being in Ukraine set in:

taxi ride in pouring rain... and how is THIS for Ukraine again getting some revenge:

marshutka- 6 hours, of course NO AC BUT- about 1/3 of the wat to Odessa the sound ONLY on the vides starts playing of course in FULL BLAST volume- people complained but nothing was done....2/3 of the way to Odessa the video start showing.... cool show.... when we werre about 10 minutes from Odessa I say to my Wife:

I got really caught up in this show and want to see how it ends... so i will take this marshutka back to Kiev to see how it ends

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.