Project_Harajuku

lWhen would be the best time for us to file? (K-1)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My fiancé left Japan earlier this month to head to his new duty station in Norfolk, VA. He's on a ship and won't arrive to VA until December. Is it right to assume that the best time to file for the K-1 would be when he gets to VA? It's so stressing because I know how long this process can be and just the thought of waiting another 6-8 months (on top of the time that I'm already waiting) to be with him is disheartening lol.

Secondly, do you think we will be granted an expidite since he'll already be at his new duty station by the time the papers are filed?

Timeline

Thank you for responding. He does have an FPO address however the length of time for mail to reach him is pretty unpredictable.

I guess the safest thing for us to do right now is just wait till December when he arrives, as I will visit him then and we can get all the paperwork together without worrying if it will be lost at sea.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I think you should begin the process. Is he able to ship the form with his signature to you?

Even if he cant you can ask him to scan it for you and you can just explain this on the cover letter.

You can also explain that he is on the ship and that you are providing a relatives address. You can provide the address of one of his family members.

All you need is to have all the paperwork ready and send it to someone in the US so they can drop it for you in Virginia. If you have someone of your trust just get all the binder ready with the envelope ready and put it on other envelope. Ask them to drop the envelope for you.

Pamela

Timeline

Yes he is able to send out mail from the ship. Would it be ok to use his mother's address as the official mailing address? Also there's a question on the form that asks about where I will live once I get to the US. we don't have that information as yet since he is at sea and won't get to his new duty station until after we've filed. Would it be ok to put his mother's address in that section too? Or should we put the address of the military base in Norfolk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.