79 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Well, just tell her is no point arguing with this because it doesn't help anyways, you both can be on Skype or phone , maybe there is a way of sending her flowers and a nice card for the anniversary and the interview it's more important than a day that you could celebrate later...What is she going to do if you are not spending $3000 for that trip? She'lll forget it once all this is done.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have lived in US apart from my husband for the last year, and we missed our birthdays, the holidays and our first anniversary together. But he kept reminding me that I need to stay in US and keep my job and earn the money, and after the process is all over, we will be able to spend every single day of our lives together. It was hard, and I was tempted to drop everything and go stay with him in Mexico, but we both knew that wasn't the smartest idea. Your wife just needs to understand how important it is for you to hold down your job right now, and just keep reminding her that after this is all over, you guys will be able to spend every single day together. You can even plan something special for her when she come, to make up for missing the anniversary. (if that would make her feel better).

Edited by camtovm

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well , I am a woman and very emotional , but I would never ever act the way she does , my husband visits me every now and then whenever he has a break because he couldn't get a job in my country , I understand and accept the situation this way , I have my job here and he has his in the States .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I'm also from Redmond and I know what an amazing opportunity like working at Microsoft is! Locals, Canadians and residents from other states really want to work there. Maybe if you showed her it is not just any job? You can really create a great career there and have a stable future financially. I also know they are very strict about time off- especially if you are new.

Ask her to set up a financial plan for you both to allow you to leave and live with her until her visa arrives.

She'll need to cover: Rent in US (even while you are gone) airplane tickets for you both to come back, living expenses in your home country, living expenses for a month while you look for a new job when you return to US.

Maybe if she sees the numbers and realizes the money for these expenses have to come from SOMEWHERE, she'll understand your point of view.

Also, this is not choosing money before love, this is ensuring her livelihood and her future.

Well said. I agree.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I don't know what country your wife is from but probably, how things are in her country is different from the US. Try explaining to her that you cannot take vacation from a new job and why, how the whole process works. And like others have said, include her in the financial planning.

She is giving up her home, her family, her friends and her job to move to you in your country, I'm sure she's worried and scared, that's why she's clinging to you. If anything, it shows she cares about you and leans on you for support.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Aww I completelty understand her frustration and yours as well. My husband came to live with me in my country, he lost his job to come here but then he had to go back because he has responsabilities, he has to make his car pymts, my ring pymt, work so we have the money to get me my medical and save up money for an apartment, etc. He now has a new job that doesn't allow him to come visit me, my interview will probably be july or august, there has been times where I have told him I wish he could quit and come back but I can't be selfish and irresponsible. We were so so so happy before starting this process, now not so much, you go thru a lot of stress, frustration, anxiety and it's hard it really is, but what keep us strong is the love we have to each other and knowing once this is done we will be back to be happy together again. Have serious talk with her and try to make something nice for her for your anniversary. 2 months it's nothing, there's people here who go during the entire process withouth seeing their significant others. Good Luck..!!

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Does your wife work? I think she may need ways to keep herself busy. You seem to be keeping busy with work, so doing relatively okay.

Long distance is never easy and people have different ways of taking out their frustration. Try being patient with her, give her more attention, encourage her to go out with family and friends. She might be feeling neglected, even if that's not the case, so try giving her more attention and let her know how much it sucks for you as well.

Try explaining the situation to her from a practical point of view but also let her know if you had your way, you would be there with her. And that you miss her as much as she does. I think she might just need to hear these reassurances from you and feel that she's not in it alone.

Sometimes the other spouse needs to step in and be the mature one when the other is being unreasonable..just be patient and gentle with her. I'm sure she'll come around. Wishing you guys a speedy journey.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I missed my one year anniversary with my husband because we had to be practical and save money + I had to keep my job. If she doesn't understand you're doing this for the benefit of your new life together, she's being selfish. Situations such as these really show someone's true colors. If she can't be as strong as you through the process, it makes it twice as hard on you. Think if you want to spend the rest of your life with this person.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I just want to vent here.

I had a big argument with my wife, she wants me to live with her in country.

I was there for 5 months with her in her country, just came back in march, I got a recent good job in Microsoft. in Redmond. Only two months now, cannot take any vacations.

My wife's case will be closed soon, her's is CR1 , she might get a interview in July. Our one year anniversary is in middle of june. My wife wants me to be there with her.

Yes I understand the fact it is important to be there because it is our one year. But looking at my circumstance that i got a new job, our papers are not yet approved, as i know for sure they might call my work to check my AOS.

She just does not understand this, and we constantly argue.

I told her, you want me to come for one day and burn $3000 just for the trip, or come for your interview. she says come and stay with her.

She does not understand how important it is to keep a job. People are struggling to find good jobs, and here I am asked to quit.

Family is important but in order to survive one needs money as well. What I am i doing wrong ? :(

I am loosing my mind.

Are some women like this ?

Well, based on what I read in yer timeline,

over at http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=192061

I'll have to posit that all women residing in Armenia have the exact same issue.

It's interesting, she not express gratitude that you stayed with her 6 months after marriage?

Kudos on the gig at MicroSoft - I say stop talking with her in any form for 2 weeks, then restart a new conversation. IMO/E, she's being pig-headed about an issue where she refuses to do any research on her own, or takes advice from others (who happen to be knuckleheads and whose opinions aren't worth a half-tonne of used toilet paper).

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

When my husband and I spent time apart, long-distance, there were definitely days when the distance was too hard and we both made seemingly unreasonable requests. Sometimes we folded on them, sometimes we had to stick it out and not. Even now - if it turns out he has to travel for work on a birthday or anniversary, I can get pretty grumpy about it. :)

Distance relationships are extremely hard, and slack should be cut whenever possible and you should just remember that she clearly loves and misses you a lot, and she would probably like to hear that you love and miss her too.

A first wedding anniversary is a celebration, but when apart, she's likely going to be sad and dwell on that too (and I'd expect you will too!). Plan ahead and tell her of all the things you'll do as soon as she arrives on her CR-1, make some small gestures to remind her you're thinking of her (send some flowers once in a while? Letters celebrating how many days are left and how quickly they'll fly by, cute stuff.. you know).

And, +1 to being transparent about your finances. As a couple, that's healthy to do regardless and if she can see the money, what stuff costs, etc., she'll likely understand better - but don't expect her to suddenly not be sad anymore that you're apart.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Speaking as a current Microsoft employee in Redmond, Washington -- I can relate to this post wholeheartedly. They are extremely tough on vacation accrual and using it when you're relatively new to the company -- they recommend that you don't take any time off during your first six months of employment.

I've been under similar pressure, albeit not romantically, to visit my family back in the UK during this time, and you have to rationalize: risking a wonderful career, your future financial stability (and future stability in general) for a day (albeit an important day) is certainly not worth it. Perhaps if you planned something wonderful for you both to do once she makes it to the USA by way of compromise it may make the wait a little less hard. I for one find it easier to get through periods like this when I know there's a beautiful light at the end of the tunnel.

Be prepared for the eternal waiting game. Be prepared for average news.

Adjustment of Status Journey

Spoiler

07/16/2013 - Successful interview, 2-yr Green Card approved!

Removal of Conditions Journey

Spoiler

11/03/2015 - Approved, card production ordered (164 days!)

11/10/2015 - 10-yr Green Card received (IR6) -- journey over for now!

Citizenship Journey (N-400)

Spoiler

07/15/2019 - Ceremony scheduled for 07/31/2019
07/31/2019 - Journey is finally over. Citizen of the USA.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hey listen man! Once you decide to get married, you are actually becoming part of a 2 person team. In every team of 2, one either pushes the other to superior heights … or slows the other person down. So it seems you got yourself a SlowDowner instead of a Pusher.

SlowDowners rarely change in time to become Pushers … so be prepared, accept it for what it is and deal with it. Sometimes you can manage the situation and circumstances to avoid getting slowed down and may be make it have a neutral effect.

Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.