19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

OMG!!!! COULD YOU ALL BELIEVE THIS?

The US Embassy in Accra whose refusal of visa to some senior government official sparked a national uproar have rescinded their decision to deny Mr. Atto Ahwoi Visa, Enquirer sources in government have revealed.

According to The Enquirers sources, The US Embassy contacted Mr. Ahwoi through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to ask Mr. Ahwoi to pick up a new visa form for consideration but Mr. Ahwoi has refused saying, all the information he has is what he provided in his last application.

Sources say, on Wednesday, the embassy again asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to inform Mr. Ahwoi that he no longer needed to fill out a new visa form and that he could just present his passport so that a visa can be issued. Deep throat sources close to Mr. Ahwoi told The Enquirer that Mr. Ahwoi is said to have told the US embassy through the Foreign Affairs Ministry that His passport was not immediately available, besides he is travelling.

Another source also informed The Enquirer that the US Embassy had also extended an olive branch to Mr. Ahwoi by promising to refund a GH¢200 visa fee he paid in respect of his initial visa application.

There was talk that the US Embassy wanted the matter resolved as quickly possible.

Enquirers intelligence say they saw the US Ambassador within the precinct of The Office of President and suggested that he might have had a meeting with the Chief of Staff.

Details of the meeting remains unknown, and there no immediate indications whether the diplomatic row sparked by the embassy formed part of the agenda.

A Spokesperson of the US Embassy who was reached by The Enquirer for comments on the matter said he was not commenting until The Enquirer revealed its source of information.

When told that it was forbidden for journalists to reveal the identity of their sources, the Spokesperson who appeared angered by the turn of events asked why The Enquirer was identifying sources from the embassy and hiding the identity of its sources in government.

Who is your source? It looks like no one is talking from the other side (government). You seem to attributing things to officials on this side but that doesnt seem to be the case on the other side. When I get some information on the questions you are asking I will let you know the spokesperson said and hanged up the phone.

On May 7th, 2010, Mr. Atto Ahwoi, Board Chairman of the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC), who returned from the USA last March, was refused visa by the embassy.

Mr. Ahwoi has travelled to the US about 20 times and attended Harvard University in the United States, so many years ago.

When The Enquirer contacted Mr. Ahwoi, he confirmed that the embassy had refused him a Non Immigrant Visa and expressed his surprise at what he called the surprising attitude of the embassy to certain key government people.

When he was asked the reason for the refusal, he read out a letter given to him and signed by an unnamed consular officer which among other things stated that: You have been temporarily refused a visa under INA Section 221G, as you lack certain documents or information needed to reach a decision in your case. For further instructions please refer to the Checked Box below he read out. He continued that the checked box read We need to verify certain documents you have given us or statements you have made. We will contact you at the telephone numbers you provided us as soon as investigations are completed. There is nothing else you need to do at this stage

When asked whether he shared sentiments that his refusal had anything to with his position on the Kosmos-Energy deal, he said that could be the only reason. This is about the 20th time I have been to the US, I schooled in the US, I attended Harvard University, At my age, I will not be migrating to the US, why this sudden change he said.

Early this year, a top officer of GNPC working within the Human Resource Department was also refused travelling visa whilst attempting to travel to US on official assignment.

The official is reported to have told insiders that a consular officer at the US embassy told him that GNPC was Anti- American

The Minister of Energy, Dr. Oteng Adjei, who was leading a government delegation to the USA to attend a meeting with Blackstone and Warburg Pincus the financiers of Kosmos Energy was on March 27th, this year denied visa. The Energy Minister had applied for the visa with his diplomatic passport.

Sources said, the embassys actions angered Osu Castle, the seat of Ghanas Presidency, and that it took the personal intervention of the usually quiet and genteel Chief of Staff, Henry Martey Newman to secure a travelling visa for the Minister.

Last Week, The Enquirer reported that there was a growing and nerve racking diplomat anxiety between some top ranks of the Ghana government towards the US Embassy in Accra, resulting in suspicion that the US government is consciously targeting some key government officials for standing in the way of American interest in Ghana.

On the controversy scale, the row had reached almost showdown levels, with some key government officials threatening to boycott travels to the US. There were also serious murmurings within the corridors of the Ministry of Energy and GNPC that their insistence on exercising their right of first purchase of the oil interest of Kosmos Energy as against the companys attempt to sell its oil interest to a fellow American company -Exxon Mobil (albeit through the backdoor) appears to have angered the US Embassy who was allegedly employing embarrassing diplomatic retaliatory tools targeted at key personalities in the energy sector.

US EMBASSY RESPONDS

When The Enquirer contacted the US Embassy for comments, Mr. Benjamin East, Information Officer stated that the embassy had no comments to all the issues raised above.

In a telephone and email response, the embassy said The response at bottom applies to the three parts of your question, as I understand it, ie: 1. That the Embassy refused a visa to the Minister of Energy in March, which was issued eventually due to intervention by the Chief of Staff.

2. That the Embassy refused a visa for the Chairman of the GNPC.

3. That the visa cases cited above are a response by the U.S. Government to recent actions/decisions taken with regards to Kosmos sale of its Jubilee stake to Exxon.

RESPONSE:

U.S. law prohibits the Embassy from commenting on individual visa cases. Mr. Ahwoi, told The Enquirer that I have decided I wont go there again, any American who wants to do business with us, must come here..

This is out of line!... Do they want a taste of that medicine in Ghana?.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

There are some groups on FB where the members help and encourage each other. The smaller in number the better and it takes a good

admin to monitor the comments as drama usually develops in large groups.

I am in a drama free FB group and also have a very good VJ friend from a few years ago

and we still talk every few days on the phone.

Our journey took us 5 years, we met in 2009, were placed in AP for 16 months and then denied, we refiled a K1, he is here now and we

are happily married. It was hell but with having someone to call and talk things through it was really helpful knowing you are not alone.

Best wishes !

Your msg is like a breath of fresh air. We won't give up on this journey. Thank you!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I tried to find answers to ours on nairaland forum. The CO over there explained that looks like our CO didn't believe we had a bona fide relationship. And the decision was made probably on the first interview so the joint sponsor she requested had no influence on our case.

My fiancé and i have been dating for about 4 yrs now, seen each other 2 times, we sent chats, 150 pages of Whatsapp, hangout screenshot,emails, few call logs, 10 pics, what more could we have done different?

I don't know if i can answer that question.

Front load your next petition, get more visits in, lots of natural photos with his family interaction is important, divided for each trip.

Lots of call loges from when you first started your relationship to current (select 2or 3 per week), ditto with all other communication.

Wishing you a speedy and smoother journey next time around. Hang in there ! This too shall pass.

PM me if you need support.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

I will definitely do that.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.