DerekYolande82

Orginals docs at interview?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Ok I'm getting so many different answers. My fiancé was married twice. First he was divorced and then his last marriage ended when his wife passed away. So ok we have a divorce decree and a death certificate. Must be send orginals of that to me in South Africa? That's beyond risky! Our post office strikes 9 out of 12 months a year. I have packages at customs of over a month ago That's not even sorted yet! What else is a absolute must to have orginals of that will be coming from him to me? Any help plz.

Fedex?

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Oh my! Nightmare if the orginals gets lost!

Yes, but it would also be Nightmare if they don't accept the copies. You can ask the embassy if they will accept them but in general they want original everything.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Present the copy and have the original for comparison, you keep the original, they keep the copy. Your concerns is one of the many reasons I made a point to be in Guangzhou at the time of my wife and stepson's visa interview at the US consulate there. I care not to venture a comment about China Post. I was a document courier and a support coach.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Oh my! Nightmare if the orginals gets lost!

The US Consulate in SA uses DHL from the States. The chances of them losing your documents are very slim. It won't be cheap but it's worth using DHL or Fedex and have them delivered to your home/office by a courier. Bypass the SA Postal system at all costs - if you use SA Postal services you will NEVER get your documents.

Edited by Saffer

I had originals of everything. But I don't know if you HAVE too. I think you do but not 100%.

But I just sent something to South Africa via Fedex. It was $85 took 4 days. DHL wanted $125. Yes, it's not cheap, but you are SO close to the finish line that I would look at using Fedex they have great tracking so you can see exactly where your package is!

If you do mail use Fedex or DHL don't even think about the PO. I sent two things and they never made it.

Also go and get them notorized. The UPS store does that it cost $5

Edited by Confusedtinybird

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

The money isn't the main thing. My fiancé is so not into sending anything here anymore. Our kids are yet to get their Xmas presents to be honest. And yes it was via South African post but still I can understand in a way. I really didnt think that that would be such a huge issue seeing that it's not my documents to start with and they accepted copies with the initial application u know! Ah well il phone again tomorrow and see if certified copies will b accepted

I would e-mail also. Because when you e-mail you can print it out and bring the email to the interview that says that certified copies are acceptable.

I know the feeling sending via SAPO. I sent two Christmas gifts in August last year to family members they never arrived. It's crazy. We really take our postal service for granted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Slightly off-topic in a way - I can't help thinking this is just the start. With your long and happy lives together, you are likely to come across issues with these particular documents again.

I wonder after he has posted the original documents to you (fed/dhl) if he could write to his authorities to obtain new originals.

Then, if all goes wrong in the post, you already have a lead-time on new originals - and if it does not go wrong, you have a second copy for when this happens again in the future?

At some stage you will need originals or certified copies at the very least. I realize your husband doesn't want to send anything but he also needs to realize that you will never get there unless he sends these documents. I'm just being honest because you are looking for ways around the system and USCIS doesn't work that way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.