18 posts in this topic

Ok so most of you know im a VWP overstayer adjusting due to marrying my husband and wanting to stay with him, Question some of the evidence i sent in was our facebook convos & timeline but when i printed it has dates on them i was using his last name insted of my name havent legally changed name yet as i had no idea how to at the time of our wedding first time getting married. And on my aos forms all that i sent off i use my name due to its not changed yet and only form of ID i have is my passport with my name not my husbands duhh but i heard they check your facebooks and you could get into trouble for doing that will i be ok? I havent got a RFE for evidence just my joint sponsor now im so worried i have blown my chanced by doing something dumb like that. Just my husband wanted me to use his last name as all our friends on facebook u know and it not being a legal site uhhh so worried now this is gonna effect my case and mess up my chances of staying here with him if i get denied i get a 3 year ban.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Uhh, they won't deny you based on some Facebook BS for sure. And I don't get where all the "they check your facebook" stories come from, it's not like those employees aren't busy enough with all the application. Maybe if something is in question they'll stalk you on facebook, but I honestly have no idea. You sent in your evidence, and it should be way stronger than anything you put up on the Interwebz, to be honest.

So if they ask, just explain to them... why were you using his last name, was it before you were even married? They'll probably just think it's cute. Really, I doubt you have anything to worry about, or at least not more to worry about than what was in your sent packet, which is, you know, the OFFICIAL application stuff.

Sorry if I'm rambly and make no sense, I'm really exhausted and recovering from being kind of sick for the past week.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Uhh, they won't deny you based on some Facebook BS for sure. And I don't get where all the "they check your facebook" stories come from, it's not like those employees aren't busy enough with all the application. Maybe if something is in question they'll stalk you on facebook, but I honestly have no idea. You sent in your evidence, and it should be way stronger than anything you put up on the Interwebz, to be honest.

So if they ask, just explain to them... why were you using his last name, was it before you were even married? They'll probably just think it's cute. Really, I doubt you have anything to worry about, or at least not more to worry about than what was in your sent packet, which is, you know, the OFFICIAL application stuff.

Sorry if I'm rambly and make no sense, I'm really exhausted and recovering from being kind of sick for the past week.

people have been denied based on facebook posts

Ok so most of you know im a VWP overstayer adjusting due to marrying my husband and wanting to stay with him, Question some of the evidence i sent in was our facebook convos & timeline but when i printed it has dates on them i was using his last name insted of my name havent legally changed name yet as i had no idea how to at the time of our wedding first time getting married. And on my aos forms all that i sent off i use my name due to its not changed yet and only form of ID i have is my passport with my name not my husbands duhh but i heard they check your facebooks and you could get into trouble for doing that will i be ok? I havent got a RFE for evidence just my joint sponsor now im so worried i have blown my chanced by doing something dumb like that. Just my husband wanted me to use his last name as all our friends on facebook u know and it not being a legal site uhhh so worried now this is gonna effect my case and mess up my chances of staying here with him if i get denied i get a 3 year ban.

the problem is they may think you were married before you entered the US because you used his name. The burden of proof will be on you to convince them otherwise.

see now im super worried i only sent in like 3 Facebook conversations between us and like some of our timeline like tagged posts between me and him like my pic i took for valentines of our present now im so worried i have messed myself up

Timeline

the problem is they may think you were married before you entered the US because you used his name. The burden of proof will be on you to convince them otherwise.

I'm really super-duper glad I nuked my facebook account years ago, then! XD

Fun fact, my husband and I never even became friends on facebook. We both hate it and think it's BS although he still has an account that he hasn't touched for many years. And, uhh... yeah... we got approved on the spot.

see now im super worried i only sent in like 3 Facebook conversations between us and like some of our timeline like tagged posts between me and him like my pic i took for valentines of our present now im so worried i have messed myself up

The date on your marriage certificate is all you should need.

but no i changed my last name on their after we got married everyone i know can contest to that i also have stuff like screenshots of Facebook before hand showing before i was married i never used his name also in the Facebook thing i sent them it shows the date we got married on it which is Jan 26th aka our personal timeline says when we first met, how long we have been friends some major posts between us & when we got married gosh so worried. Worried about money evidence now i have this everything just getting worse :(

and the conversations are just cute little convos between me & him like him wanting to come live with me because he misses me & miss him all that stuff u know couples lovey dovey over each other and him waiting for me to come back from doctors all that stuff u know hope their ok too

Timeline

Ok, I really think you shouldn't be worried about this. Just try to relax, and wait. It's all you can do. If you guys are for real and know each other well, you will pass with flying colors.

i know i know im just u know a worrier obviously i love my husband more than anything just dont want to have to leave him u know over some stupid Facebook evidence or stupid stuff we are legit like today spent the day with him & his family at a backyard BBQ with just us was great dont want to give that up u know.

Also been seeing stuff about them thinking people are not in the USA and left when they were suppose to cause they didn't cancel their flights i got married after my departure date aka overstayer i should be OK right my marriage cert says 26th jan when my ticket i woulda left woulda been jan 22nd ? also marriage cert shows we got married in Baltimore city at that time so

Edited by lecilia

Your name is legally changed when you marry if you wish to take your husband's name. You can use it on Facebook or anywhere else. You can open a bank account using that name. There is no "change your name office" somewhere. Your marriage certificate showing you married him is an acceptable legal name change document. Your passport does not have to match. You should have applied for AOS in your married name. I don't see any problem, other than you are going to wish your green card was in your married name.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

The name that matters is the one on the passport, hopefully matching other legal documents; birth cert, etc.

Fb, whatsapp, other social media (screen)names are not legally binding, and do not by themselves lead to 'denial'.

But not based on facebook names

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Your name is legally changed when you marry if you wish to take your husband's name. You can use it on Facebook or anywhere else. You can open a bank account using that name. There is no "change your name office" somewhere. Your marriage certificate showing you married him is an acceptable legal name change document. Your passport does not have to match. You should have applied for AOS in your married name. I don't see any problem, other than you are going to wish your green card was in your married name.

I applied for AOS with my new married name. Back then I had nothing but my marriage certificate that has my new name on it. Passport , ID , SSN all shows my old last name

I was approved with no questioning.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The name that matters is the one on the passport, hopefully matching other legal documents; birth cert, etc.

Fb, whatsapp, other social media (screen)names are not legally binding, and do not by themselves lead to 'denial'.

But not based on facebook names

People have been denied for facebook posts, for calling each other hubby and wifey before they were actually married. Do a search here on VJ and you will find what I say is true. If there is any doubt in the their mids they have been known to deny people. It's a fact. The burden of proof will be on them to prove that they were not married until they actually were.

My post was in response to OP’s concern about using her hubby’s last name on social media while her legal name hasn’t changed. I’m saying that will not get her into any trouble, or RFE.

My friend’s wife uses a FB name different than her name; their case was approved. I was alluding to screennames and monikers.

Those claiming to be unmarried but in fact are, are obviously lying to USICS and expect to be denied. That's a totally different ballgame.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

People have been denied for facebook posts, for calling each other hubby and wifey before they were actually married. Do a search here on VJ and you will find what I say is true. If there is any doubt in the their mids they have been known to deny people. It's a fact. The burden of proof will be on them to prove that they were not married until they actually were.

I don't think this applies to the OP. She used his name on Facebook after marriage which is perfectly legal. This isn't a K1 visa case where they have to remain unmarried to qualify for a visa, yet Facebook shows photos (and names) of what appears to be a wedding before the person entered the US supposedly unmarried. It doesn't matter for the OP because she had no requirement to be single for a visa. She skipped the visa process.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.