TonyT785533

Student Visa Girlfriend

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Not trying to bring you down. Just giving you the truth so you don't have false hope and future disappointments.

You may be able to get the F-2 if you meet all the qualifications.

You getting a green card when she does depends on who is petitioning her. If she has a current petition from a green card holder parent, marriage to you would disqualify her and void the petition. It depends on how she is trying to get a green card.

If this ###### was simple, this website would be full of success stories rather than all the heartache you see. Immigration to the US is not simple. It is extremely complex and fact specific.

Rest. Think about this ###### tomorrow.

Best of luck to you.

I know you are and I appreciate it. Trust me.

Okay and what are the qualifications for the F-2?

So what way could she get the green card that would also allow me to as well?

Yeah it would appear so. Would her coming to Canada be this hard? lol

I will soon and thanks for the continued assistance. I appreciate it.

Timeline

TonyT look into TN NAFTA visa requirements, some trades were eligible. That might me a solution for you to move to the US, be able to work and support yourself and your girlfriend.

I don't have any trade but I will check it out in the morning regardless. Thank you very much.

I don't have any trade but I will check it out in the morning regardless. Thank you very much.

Just that a trade might be faster to learn than other authorized professions on the list, and you working seemed more realistic. Unless you have tons of savings, or your girlfriend is rich, how long can you afford not to work?

Timeline

Just that a trade might be faster to learn than other authorized professions on the list, and you working seemed more realistic. Unless you have tons of savings, or your girlfriend is rich, how long can you afford not to work?

No for sure. You're right and I agree with you. I'm just overwhelmed with this right now. I'm going to try to rest and then look it over again in the morning. So you are saying I should go to school here and then move with the TN NAFTA visa? Or go to school in the US and take one of the things on the list? Sorry my brain feels fried lol

What is your gf's major in uni? is she attending a top school? does she have companies which will sponsor her? H1B is extremely hard to get.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Google and read up for what it takes to get an F-2. I don't know your situation so I have no idea what will apply to you.

There are many ways to get a green card. Your fiancee may qualify for some or none. There are only two ways for a married woman and her husband to get green cards through a US family member, a petition by a USC parent or sibling. I don't know what work visa she may qualify for since you never answered what her career path will be.

Edited by aaron2020

Might be? :/

Yes, there are plenty of hoops to jump through in Canada too. Check out roadtocanada.com forums. Just seems it might be easier for the two of you to live in a country where at least one you is a citizen...

I think her going to Canada after marriage would be significantly easier than trying to stay in the USA when neither of you can work and she's not a permanent resident.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Her coming to Canada might be easier.

Would be.

Hey, I had a "plan" to stay here. It was go to school, then grad school, get a tech job (did that), be sponsored for H1B (could have been at my company), blah blah, many years, get helped by my company's lawyers to get a green card. But I just recently found out that an H1B is a bit of a lottery in itself, with relatively low chances of getting it, must apply on time, then sit and hope and... I know a very bright guy who didn't even get it last year. Sooo yeah, green card through work is a bit of a crapshoot. Sorry!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It is extremely hard to get a green card through work as you need to be "exceptional" (their words not mine) or be extremely lucky and find a company that will do everything to hire you. And the company still has to let others apply and they would have to argue why she should get the job instead of all the qualified US citizens.

Immigrating to Canada would be much easier if you marry her.

The way she is "planning" to get a Green Card seems to have a lot of "if" this is to happen. My father was on a work visa and his employer petitioned his green card in 2004 and as of last year the case was still open.

For an employer to sponsor your girlfriend for a work visa is actually a lot more complicated than it may seem. The company has to prove no other American is qualified to do the same job.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So what does your father do that no American can.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.