Amachuma

I Need Hope

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

If that guy was Nigerian and had he produced the certificate of bachelor from the registry in Lagos (since they don't have a record of his marriage)

he still would have been in the negative because he lied and misrepresented.

Tiny chance would have been to produce the cert. of bachelor of that time frame and file a 601 waiver for misrepresentation.

OP can certainly proof that the registry has no record of marriage on her. It is the same in some Mena countries but obviously not in

all countries. So with that you can proof a negative and it is accepted at some consulates.

The document is not LEGAL and has no backing whatsoever.

Nigeria is yet to have that kind of database.

we have seen instances where people marry in one state go to another and still marry legally.

those giving you that cert are only doing so to milk you dry cos some gullible folks asked for it

Timeline

Expedite is the word not bribe.. Are you in anyway implying that I didn't file for the right visa category?

OMG did you say "expedite"? lmao thats another word in Nigerian parlance to make bribery sound nice.

In.my opinion YES just like someone has early said the embassy was faster and smarter and they think you overqualified (dont knoe what that means lol) for K1 and underqualified for CR1

I have experience with it. You have an opinion about it and said you have not heard of it. That is the difference.

What good is an opinion to the OP when you don't even know the document exists ?

That this document exist doesnt nake it legal and binding. just cos you have some "To whom it may concern " on some local government letter head doesnt make it legal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

The lying on the B that you are married has come up several times, certainly the last one was Nigeria, can not recollect for certain the prior ones.

Way back a friend of mine married a Nigerian lady, he worked over there in IT and most of my limited knowledge is what he was telling us over a few beers.

Anyway I was under the impression that there are two types of marriage, the Traditional one and the State one, ideally you should do both and problems arise when only the traditional one is done which is legal enough for the Consulate to decline a K1. I assume these are not recorded so in this sort of situation wondered how it would help, presuming the Consulate has an issue with the Traditional aspect, not the State.

Back to the B issue, the waiver for misrep was obvious but on the several occasions I have seen this situation the problem was getting past RFE's. They had a sworn statement saying he was married... So shows us the docs that you are no longer. Sadly never seen how it was concluded.

Yes, it is actually a kind of " tell them you are married and have ties and you will be approved" kind of street visa advice thing in Nigeria.

Many think they are too -smart-to- be -caught but then it bites them in the butt sooner or in that case later. Street advice is so very common

there. So and so got by with it just do it, they follow that advice and then all hell breaks lose and they wonder why.

You then often hear them say "but someone prepared the form for me and I didn't know they put married on there". Ha !

Yes, there is the trad wedding and the registered. Having said that, most do a trad and then the state one where they

also register it which leaves the paper trail.

So practically a trad ceremony couple is too married for a K1 and not enough for the registered that the embassy wants.

However often Lagos accepts the cert. of bachelor unless their personal assumption makes them dig in their heels and they refuse to

issue it because they interpret the introduction as a traditional wedding. I have seen many more CO's accept it than not over the years though

and that is why I think OP has a good chance to get approved with it.

Throw a misrep B2 in the mix like your example and I can see how the USCIS RFEing is tougher than the consulate without a previous B2 misrep.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Here is a link on a request for one. It is a legit document and as I said several times several years ago it was a Sub-Saharan

general consensus to include it with a front loaded petition or submit it even if not asked for at the consulate.

Yes, this certificate has helped many from extra hassle such as the OP is now going through.

It is also often requested when you want to marry in a third country where neither or just one resides but is of a different Nationality.

One gets it from the registrar of their country. It is really quite simple.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/507894-gettign-married-in-cape-town-south-africa/

please quote Nigerian govt links Edited by doshi8000

Timeline

Yes, it is actually a kind of " tell them you are married and have ties and you will be approved" kind of street visa advice thing in Nigeria.

Many think they are too -smart-to- be -caught but then it bites them in the butt sooner or in that case later. Street advice is so very common

there. So and so got by with it just do it, they follow that advice and then all hell breaks lose and they wonder why.

You then often hear them say "but someone prepared the form for me and I didn't know they put married on there". Ha !

Yes, there is the trad wedding and the registered. Having said that, most do a trad and then the state one where they

also register it which leaves the paper trail.

So practically a trad ceremony couple is too married for a K1 and not enough for the registered that the embassy wants.

However often Lagos accepts the cert. of bachelor unless their personal assumption makes them dig in their heels and they refuse to

issue it because they interpret the introduction as a traditional wedding. I have seen many more CO's accept it than not over the years though

and that is why I think OP has a good chance to get approved with it.

Throw a misrep B2 in the mix like your example and I can see how the USCIS RFEing is tougher than the consulate without a previous B2 misrep.

Lagos will accept any Oluwole document you bring to them so they can also nail you hard at the same time

Timeline

please quote Nigerian govt links

2. Marital Status

• Certificate of Marriage or a True Certified Copy of it, issued by the Registrar of the Registry where the original registration of the marriage is kept.
  • Affidavit of Bachelorhood/Spinsterhood emanating from the High Court. This Affidavit must obligatorily contain the following information:

 The applicant's full (no abbreviations) official name (this name must be the same in any document submitted for legalisation, and on your passport).

 your parents' full names, dates and places of birth, present address (or “deceased”).

 The declarant's name and his relationship to the applicant.

• This Affidavit must be accompanied by

 An attestation of marital status/non-marriage certificate emanating from the local government where you last lived in Nigeria.

 An original identification letter with identity photo, issued by the local government of origin.

Legalization of private documents:

Birth certificates, Marriage certificates and Declaration of bachelor- or spinsterhood/ Affidavit of single status

Requirements:

• An application letter addressed to the Consular Section, Embassy of Nigeria, Stockholm
  • Actual document to be legalized
  • Receipt/ confirmation of payment

http://nigerianembassy.nu/legalization/

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

OMG did you say "expedite"? lmao thats another word in Nigerian parlance to make bribery sound nice.

In.my opinion YES just like someone has early said the embassy was faster and smarter and they think you overqualified (dont knoe what that means lol) for K1 and underqualified for CR1

That this document exist doesnt nake it legal and binding. just cos you have some "To whom it may concern " on some local government letter head doesnt make it legal

Reported for blatantly spreading misinformation, instigating, provoking and trying to derail yet another thread.

Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Administrative action has been taken against a participant in this thread for violating this item in the VisaJourney Terms of Service:

"Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, harass, insult, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users."

In addition, this thread is moved from the K-1 Case Progress subforum to the Embassy/Consulate forum, on the basis of the subject matter.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...

Just stopped by to get an update on OP's experience, and wow. Fireworks!

I do really wonder if this decision to shut down the dissenter on this thread was the right one. I provided some advice to the OP that I hope was useful but, given the high uncertainty with evidence accepted at the Lagos consulate, perhaps questioning our assumptions, even vigorous dissent, might be turn out to be useful in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

Administrative action has been taken against a participant in this thread for violating this item in the VisaJourney Terms of Service:

"Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, harass, insult, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users."

In addition, this thread is moved from the K-1 Case Progress subforum to the Embassy/Consulate forum, on the basis of the subject matter.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

Reported for blatantly spreading misinformation, instigating, provoking and trying to derail yet another thread.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks guys for checking up on me. Well, my fiancé and I have been down because our second interview was not a success. We were denied K1 visa on the ground we are married traditionally. The 221(g) letter that was given to my fiancé states that our petition is returned to th Notional Visa Center for review, because we are married and therefore our petition is invalid. That I the petitioner should file for the beneficiary again. ??. We won't give up. I will be traveling back home to Nigeria to get married in the court and the come back and file for spouses visa then do the wedding next year. It's really painful that we have to start this journey all over again and not being together is killing. But I am glad we have the VJ family to guide us through our next visa journey. You guys are the best!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Thanks guys for checking up on me. Well, my fiancé and I have been down because our second interview was not a success. We were denied K1 visa on the ground we are married traditionally.

The 221(g) letter that was given to my fiancé states that our petition is returned to th Notional Visa Center for review, because we are married and therefore our petition is invalid. That I the petitioner should file for the beneficiary again. ??. We won't give up. I will be traveling back home to Nigeria to get married in the court and the come back and file for spouses visa then do the wedding next year. It's really painful that we have to start this journey all over again and not being together is killing. But I am glad we have the VJ family to guide us through our next visa journey. You guys are the best!!

Sorry to hear that!!! Take courage and don't give up.but this facebook is a bad thing finally.wish you the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

2. Marital Status

• Certificate of Marriage or a True Certified Copy of it, issued by the Registrar of the Registry where the original registration of the marriage is kept.
  • Affidavit of Bachelorhood/Spinsterhood emanating from the High Court. This Affidavit must obligatorily contain the following information:

 The applicant's full (no abbreviations) official name (this name must be the same in any document submitted for legalisation, and on your passport).

 your parents' full names, dates and places of birth, present address (or “deceased”).

 The declarant's name and his relationship to the applicant.

• This Affidavit must be accompanied by

 An attestation of marital status/non-marriage certificate emanating from the local government where you last lived in Nigeria.

 An original identification letter with identity photo, issued by the local government of origin.

Legalization of private documents:

Birth certificates, Marriage certificates and Declaration of bachelor- or spinsterhood/ Affidavit of single status

Requirements:

• An application letter addressed to the Consular Section, Embassy of Nigeria, Stockholm
  • Actual document to be legalized
  • Receipt/ confirmation of payment

http://nigerianembassy.nu/legalization/

So this did not work?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

i want to ask about this, how they access your facebook

is your facebook was in public for anyone can open it and see picture, or they do it and can do it with anyone?

This is the government , they can access anything facebook in the interest of national security , they can also access your email under the patriot act because you are carrying on frequent conversations with foreigners, same for your phone records. So if you are in the habit of referring to each other as hubby and wife and think you are doing it in private , think again .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.