UPenn2019

URGENT Entering the US - is 1h 25 min layover enough?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

That's going to be a tight connection. Keep in mind, the aircraft door usually closes 10 minutes prior to departure and they will not re-open the door for late arriving passengers. As long as everything is running on schedule and your dad knows what to expect, there's a good chance he can make it.

Some things your dad can do to maximize his chances:

1) have him familiarize himself with the connecting airport layout to minimize time trying to figure things out when he's in a hurry

2) request flight attendant on international flight call ahead, usually about 45 minutes prior to landing, to inquire departure gate identification for the departing flight. He should double check the departure gate when he re-checks his baggage after customs.

3) sit as close to the boarding door on the international flight as possible. Do whatever he can to get off the plane and in the immigration queue as soon as possible. Sometimes people will move aside and let someone pass if they kindly announce they have a tight connection.

4) checked baggage can delay things considerably. He will need to retrieve said baggage at baggage claim, proceed through customs and the re-check the baggage for his connecting flight. Being aware of the process ahead of time can minimize confusion and lost time.

5) use the lavatory on the international flight prior to landing so the 'call of nature' doesn't cause unnecessary delay

6) make sure the Delta people upon landing know he's on the move ... they won't delay the flight, but they may just keep those boarding doors open a few more minutes if they know he's hurrying down the corridor. Don't waste time pleading with non-Delta representatives as they won't be in a position to help.

7) DTW is a big airport, but the layout is clean and it is easy to get around, just long distances. Use the train and people movers.

From what I understand, the OP's dad doesn't speak english well, has never been to DTW before, and isn't traveling with a chaperone who has.

In America, you should always plan for your flight to be late, and you should not expect Asian levels of efficiency in American airports.

I see Chinese people missing connections all the time in American airports, and if he doesn't speak english well, he's going to have a hard time rebooking his domestic leg. I recommend that you rebook his domestic connecting flight to give him more time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It really depends if your flight is late, or on the weather, or if the airport is busy... one hour and 25 minutes should be adequate if everything goes according to plan, and the flight arrives on time. He just needs to focus on catching the flight and nothing else. I remember visiting the Philippines in March... I had a three and a half hour layover at the JFK airport in NY. During the flight I was watching the news and saw that the other NY airport had a jet slide off the runway. That freaked me out. I got to NY and it was a blizzard. The airtrains connecting the terminals were down for maintenance and I was stuck waiting for a train for almost the whole time. When I arrived at the terminal I had ten minutes to get in line. I was sprinting through the terminal. When I went to check in, I dropped my boarding pass somewhere along the way. I retraced my steps, found it on the floor in a busy crowd, and I made it at the very last second.

After that day, I learned that you can never have enough time.... so next time I buy a plane ticket, I may appreciate having a long layover..

Sent I129f - April 28, 2015

Received I129f - May 1, 2015

NOA1 - May 5, 2015 (Email on 6, Harcopy on 9)

NOA2 - July 9 (Email and text)

NOA2 Hardcopy - July 13

NVC Case # Assigned - July 30

Consulate Received - Aug. 3

Medical - Aug. 12 (We passed! Well, almost. She needs to see a psychiatrist on the 28th, which shouldn't be a big issue. She cut her wrist long ago in her teenage years.)

Interview - ??? (Originally Aug. 26, but since she is now required to see a psychiatrist on the 28th, it will be rescheduled, probably sometime in Sept.)

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I could have bought the ticket with a 20 hour layover in Beijing (from another airport) and 7 more at Detroit....lol

Anyways, I told him to only go to the bathroom if he needs to AFTER he finds his gate and if he has time.

I don't think I can rebook the 2nd flight without paying a lot more.

What airline(s) are the flights booked with? Are they both booked on one passenger name record (PNR) /itinerary? You should read this thread in flyertalk that seems almost identical to your situation. Novesac's post above is good advice, in addition:

My advice, seeing it's too late now to rebook his domestic flight:

1. If you can afford to, get his seat as close to the front of the plane as possible. If there's a premium economy seat left, I'd suggest you cough up the cash.
  2. Write a message for him to give to the flight attendant saying that he has a tight connection, and for her to please confirm the gate number of the connecting flight.
  3. Make sure he doesn't have anything in his luggage that has to be declared, especially food, tobacco or alcohol, or dirty shoes. Have him check all his shoes and make sure they are spotless. If customs pulls him aside to check his luggage, he's going to his connecting flight for sure.
  4. I have no idea whether he needs go through security again, but make sure he knows about the TSA rules with the shoes, metal objects and liquids.
  5. Make sure he knows how to call you. If he has a cellphone from china, have him get roaming enabled on his phone, and that your phone number is stored correctly in the international format, ie. +1555-555-5555. Also write a message saying that he's missed his connecting flight, and to please call your phone number.
  6. Do some research on airport hotels, and print the name and address of the hotel you've researched (and the address and terminal for DTW) for the taxi driver should the worst happens.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Even if it weren't delayed, the plane would have departed at 7:40pm. He borrowed someone's cell and called me at 7pm and said he was waiting at the gate...So he was through in 50 minutes.

Edited by UPenn2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Glad it worked out perfectly for you!

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.