Queen2myKing

Bank Deposit

28 posts in this topic

I don't get how it's dangerous to give people your account no. How are they supposed to transfer you money without it? On every bill I receive it states the banking details of where I have to transfer what's due.

In american bank accounts, anyone with your routing and account number can technically ACH money out of your account. Large Corporations have special 'sweep accounts' and ACH hold controls to prohibit unauthorized ACH pulls, but as far as I know these special accounts are only available to corporations and not to individuals.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am so sorry you are feeling this way after all the waiting. I completely sympathize. Only thing I can say is stay strong in your decision to decline to help. If he wants a tranfer of funds his sister open an account in Nigeria. Any Nigerian resident with ID can open one for 100 naira. Those ppl who you dont know can deposit the money in her personal account not yours. This a scam and very widely known for scammers in Vietnam and Malaysia to xfer these usually stolen funds. Why would your husband want you involved in this even if the chance was 1 % that this could cause you legal trouble or possible prison time for your involvement? Why cant yous simply say no without a heated argument? Just remind him its not him you dont trust but his sister's associates. Just please stay away from this thing. And if your husband persists, I dont want to pass judgment on him but from now on I would watch him very closely and pay attention to everything he does and says just to be certain he is who he really says he is. Again so sorry you have to be dealing with this when you should just be in love and happy he is nearly home with you!

Timeline

I know the reason he is in need of the money is true, he it trying to get the money for his airplane ticket to the US. During our conversation I gave him the option of having a money order sent to the house. He then explained the person who is trying to send money is not in the US so I told him to send the money to Nigeria via Western Union. I'm my opinion that's when things became heated (I was getting ready for work, I'm not a morning person and I hadn't had my coffee). He said the people would like to send it to my bank account. I never found out how they were going to send it because I knew I was not going to give any of my bank account information. He asked me if I trust him, I do. I Dont trust or know the people making the deposit. I also totally agree the money can be deposited into his Nigerian bank account or his sister's bank account if she has one. There is no reason for me to be involved. Since our discussion become so heated and he seemed as if he didn't understand my reason for my decision he is aware when his is in the US we will not have joint bank accounts. My heart is heavy over this. That's for sure.

Hmmm, I thought I removed the quote. I'm still learning how to use that. Lol

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center : Nebraska

Consulate : Nigeria

Marriage: 2014-03-31

I-130 Sent : 2014-04-11

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-05-02

I-130 RFE : None

I-130 Approved : 2014-10-02

NVC Received : 2014-11-24

AOS Bill : 2014-11-24

Pay AOS Bill : 2014-12-03

Send AOS Package : 2015-02-23

Submit DS-261 : 2014-11-24

Receive IV Bill : 2014-12-30

Pay IV Bill : 2014-12-31

Send IV Package : 2015-03-06

NVC Case Complete : 2015-04-17

Left NVC :

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :

Consulate Received : 2015-05-14

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 4 Received : 2015-05-14

Interview Date : 2015-06-18

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2015-07-02

US Entry : 2015-07-03

Comments :

Visa Journey helped me find an error on the AOS in February 2015. In March 2015 I was also able to help my spouse get the correct birth records required by NVC by reading the Nigerian thread on Visa Journey.

April 2, 2015- Case is in Supervisor Review because the DS260 form was sent electronically January 6, 2015 but hasn't been reviewed as of yet.

April 17, 2015- I finally have the 3rd N/A next to the Affidavit of Support fee. I spoke to a supervisor yesterday (Thursday). She told me she would have the case reviewed by the end of the week. It looks like she kept her word. I will call again tonight to confirm case complete :)

April 17, 2015- CONFIRMED CASE COMPLETE

June 18, 2015- Interview

July 01 , 2015- CEAC Status Shows Issued

July 03, 2015- Welcome to USA!!!

(United Airlines roundtrip ticket estimated at $2000.00)

The saddest part of all this is that I noticed you are so close to your interview date and should be head over heels knowing he would be home with you soon. I have to tell you, my husband is Nigerian and we have been living together for almost 6 years here in Ghana together. I have SEEN and HEARD just about everything I ever wish to see or hear about what some people are capable of doing to another for money. Its a hard life here, just like in Nigeria (I've been there twice as well). A lot of men and women will do criminal things here to earn money to eat or provide for their families. I feel bad for them, but at the same time they are preying on my own country men and women when they do it. Before we had internet in our house, we used to go to an internet café a lot to talk to people back home. I saw the lengths to which a young man would go to, and they were so used to seeing me in there, that I guess it didn't phase them or make them want to hide the fact that they were pretending to be a female talking to an American man who was on their computer screen doing some "really gross things"....in front of this young man, and not the hot girl they thought they were talking to.

My point is, this request your husband is asking of you, is classic scam 101. Someone is stealing money from someone's account and wanting to send it to yours (a wire transfer)....OR someone is scamming someone out of their money and in order to make the scam look legit, they are asking the person to wire the money to an American bank account. Sending the money to Nigeria whether it is thru moneygram/ western union or to a Nigerian bank account would never fit into the "story". I'm not saying your husband is the ring leader, but perhaps someone has come to him and said "hey, we know you have a wife in America, if you do this...we will give you a percentage of it". People have pulled my husband to the side on numerous occasions and tried to ask the same thing. He just tells them "no no no". He would NEVER put me in that position not to talk of getting mad at me if I said no.

I understand your husbands frustration, there is money dangling over his head if he can just do this one thing....and that would mean he'd have the money to buy the ticket to come there. But if there is real love there for you, he would NEVER put you in that position. That is something that you really want to take into consideration before you proceed with anything else. At the VERY least, he shouldn't be concocting a story about people owing his sister money, yada yada yada. If he'd lie to you about that, form up a big story about it, risk putting you in jeopardy AND making you feel bad for not giving in, then is this the person you want to spend the rest of your life with?

Uv said it all

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

AYOsGirl hit the nail right on the head.

Why can't he have the money sent to Nigeria? Because scammers needs to use an innocent person like the OP to steal other people's money. When you take the money out and had it to the scammers in Nigeria, you will be on the hook for returning the money. You will be part of a series of crimes.

If the money is sent to him, he is on the hook for the crimes.

If the money is sent to the OP, then she is on the hook for the crimes and reimbursement.

The husband needs to understand that the Nigerian scams have severe consequences in America.

Timeline

too late to edit

Honest opinion: I am 100% certain it is a scam. Having spent a considerable amount of time in Nigeria has given me detailed understanding of how local Nigerians think. The story is overly complicated for no reason (Nigerians tend to believe that Americans are stupid). I have known people in Nigeria who claimed to be my friend and talked about coming to my hotel room and robbing me right in front of my face when they thought I didn't understand the native language.

As a husband myself, I would never involve my wife in something like this. I have known people who have gone to jail in the USA for these scams and they never involved their wife.

Be very careful and do not give your account. See if he is willing to let it go (a real man would) and continue to keep an eye on him. I hope I did not offend you and if I did I apologize.

Edited by blakpanther25

Timeline

Almost everyone has given their opinion in a respectful way. I have not been offended by any of the comments. I have read every comment and my hope is that he will read each comment as well. Thanks again y'all.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Left NVC :

Packet 3 Received :

Comments :

Visa Journey helped me find an error on the AOS in February 2015. In March 2015 I was also able to help my spouse get the correct birth records required by NVC by reading the Nigerian thread on Visa Journey.

April 2, 2015- Case is in Supervisor Review because the DS260 form was sent electronically January 6, 2015 but hasn't been reviewed as of yet.

April 17, 2015- I finally have the 3rd N/A next to the Affidavit of Support fee. I spoke to a supervisor yesterday (Thursday). She told me she would have the case reviewed by the end of the week. It looks like she kept her word. I will call again tonight to confirm case complete :)

June 18, 2015- Interview

Timeline

The saddest part of all this is that I noticed you are so close to your interview date and should be head over heels knowing he would be home with you soon. I have to tell you, my husband is Nigerian and we have been living together for almost 6 years here in Ghana together. I have SEEN and HEARD just about everything I ever wish to see or hear about what some people are capable of doing to another for money. Its a hard life here, just like in Nigeria (I've been there twice as well). A lot of men and women will do criminal things here to earn money to eat or provide for their families. I feel bad for them, but at the same time they are preying on my own country men and women when they do it. Before we had internet in our house, we used to go to an internet café a lot to talk to people back home. I saw the lengths to which a young man would go to, and they were so used to seeing me in there, that I guess it didn't phase them or make them want to hide the fact that they were pretending to be a female talking to an American man who was on their computer screen doing some "really gross things"....in front of this young man, and not the hot girl they thought they were talking to.

My point is, this request your husband is asking of you, is classic scam 101. Someone is stealing money from someone's account and wanting to send it to yours (a wire transfer)....OR someone is scamming someone out of their money and in order to make the scam look legit, they are asking the person to wire the money to an American bank account. Sending the money to Nigeria whether it is thru moneygram/ western union or to a Nigerian bank account would never fit into the "story". I'm not saying your husband is the ring leader, but perhaps someone has come to him and said "hey, we know you have a wife in America, if you do this...we will give you a percentage of it". People have pulled my husband to the side on numerous occasions and tried to ask the same thing. He just tells them "no no no". He would NEVER put me in that position not to talk of getting mad at me if I said no.

I understand your husbands frustration, there is money dangling over his head if he can just do this one thing....and that would mean he'd have the money to buy the ticket to come there. But if there is real love there for you, he would NEVER put you in that position. That is something that you really want to take into consideration before you proceed with anything else. At the VERY least, he shouldn't be concocting a story about people owing his sister money, yada yada yada. If he'd lie to you about that, form up a big story about it, risk putting you in jeopardy AND making you feel bad for not giving in, then is this the person you want to spend the rest of your life with?

I second everything AYOsGirl is saying bc my husband has also been propositioned with this similar scam. As soon as the "hood" learns he is married to an American citizen, all kinds of request from random ppl requesting US bank info to wire funds to.. in hopes to get this money brought into Nigeria by unsuspecting person, with no link to the real criminal. They think that there is no harm because even if the US bank account holder were to get in legal problems behind this, they believe the bank holder can just fall back on complete deniability and avoid prison time, since they are unaware of the true nature of how the stolen funds were aquired. They care nothing of the legal repercussions and cost to all victims involved to clear their name. Please think very hard about this. I spoke with my husband about this and his response was in his Nigerian voice a big "AHAH" and some words in Yoruba. I asked him to translate and he said he wont but if he was ever chanced to say these words to your husband that your husband will curse him out and be looking for blood. His advice and mine is get to know this man better before you proceed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

This is a scam and I am suspecting your husband to have a very willing part in it, full well knowing it is a scam and you are being

used as a money mule. Huge red flag.

They are laundering stolen funds and will also try to hack your account.

There is no reason whatsoever for your bank account to be involved for a legit transfer to Nigeria from wherever. None.

Rethink bringing him here.

I would not trust him with any bank accounts or credit cards if he makes it here.

Many get involved in all kind of crazy scams once here also...it just won't stop here.

I am so sorry this is happening to you !

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I asked my husband and he explained that is definitly a scam. The very process you descirbe is all scam. He also stated, your husband knows this is a scam and is wrong for placing you in the middle of this. I know a woman this has happen to, her husband did the exact same thing needless to say the FBI showed up at her home. She sent her husband over 10k and she kept 5k. Someone had to take her children, while she spent about a month in federal holding. She is still trying to deal with, but has forgiven her husband. My advice don't do it and definitly quesiton him on every single thing. To be honest how can you trust him when in your heart you know the truth. Let's give him the benefit of doubt, maybe by some odd reason he is clueless (I doubt it), then he really has no right to be mad or upset with you. He should understand and figure it out on his own. Hopefully, he will read these post and understand he cannot do that to someone he loves!! I wish you all the best..

Edited by MrsBeaver

Timeline

Hello everyone. I spoke to my husband. He said he has never done this before and didn't know the consequence. He said something about it being hard for Nigerian's to have international funds deposited into their account without large fees and from my understanding something about domicile (but I could be wrong about the last part) He thought it may be easier and less costly for the money to be deposited into the US account. I explained to him how to navigate Visa Journey so he could see all the comments for this post. He now has a better understanding of what's going on. Thanks for explaining everything. I learned new things myself about the process. You all were very helpful.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Left NVC :

Packet 3 Received :

Comments :

June 18, 2015- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.