Saffer

Tips to be safe in the US?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Get pepper-spray... I never go anywhere without it. I got it when there were quite a few sexual assaults at the College I was intending. Now I have it because we have a weird neighbor who's borderline obsessed about me.

Don't go hunting with former vice presidents.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hahahahaha NLR!

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

LOL I was looking forward to getting a gun but now I see that in MA residents can only obtain a license with special permission. Guess we'll have to wait for 3 years :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Get pepper-spray... I never go anywhere without it. I got it when there were quite a few sexual assaults at the College I was intending. Now I have it because we have a weird neighbor who's borderline obsessed about me.

American women can be tough, you just need to ride it out.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Are you sure?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

LOL I was looking forward to getting a gun but now I see that in MA residents can only obtain a license with special permission. Guess we'll have to wait for 3 years :)

Q. I am a resident of Massachusetts. How do I obtain a firearms license?

A. A license to carry (LTC) issued pursuant to G.L. c. 140, §131 or a firearms identification card (FID) issued pursuant to G.L. c. 140, §129B may be obtained from the police department where you reside or have a place of business (your licensing authority). Applications for a LTC or FID are available under "Firearms Forms and Applications".

A LTC Class A entitles the holder to possess a large capacity firearm (pistol or revolver), rifle or shotgun. (See G.L. c. 140, §121 for the definition of large capacity). A LTC Class B entitles the holder to possess a non-large capacity firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun. A FID entitles the holder to possess non-large capacity rifles and shotguns.

There is a $100 application fee for a LTC or FID. As part of the application process, an applicant must submit fingerprints for a comprehensive background check and, if a new applicant, provide proof of completion of a basic firearm safety course pursuant to G.L. c. 140, §131P.

You can get an air rifle... LOL Paintball someone in the face or the nuts and it works pretty well IMHO..

Q: Is a license required to possess an air gun (i.e. bb or pellet guns, so-called air rifles or air pistols, paint ball guns) or ammunition therefore (i.e. bb's, pellets, CO2 cartridges, paint balls)?

A: An FID Card is not required to possess an air gun in Massachusetts.

Google paintball bruises... lol

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 3 weeks later...

saffer, I think you helped your safety considerably simply by relocating from SA.

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Timeline

I never mentioned a drivers licence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

As of April 30th, 2012, LPRs can apply for and receive either an LTC or FID the same as any MA citizen resident. So you can step off the plane and go right to the local PD, apply, and have it within 16 weeks.

Pursuant to applicable federal laws and the Second Amendment, they cannot deny you a firearm so long as you are not a convicted felon, under an order from a judge to not receive firearms, and legally in the country with the proper visa.

Heck, my wife's "Welcome to America," gift was a Henry Big Boy repeating rifle in .44 Magnum; I gave it to her around 45 minutes after she got off the plane. :P

I am the USC.

The member "Khaleesi" is my beautiful wife.

As of April 30th, 2012, LPRs can apply for and receive either an LTC or FID the same as any MA citizen resident. So you can step off the plane and go right to the local PD, apply, and have it within 16 weeks.

Pursuant to applicable federal laws and the Second Amendment, they cannot deny you a firearm so long as you are not a convicted felon, under an order from a judge to not receive firearms, and legally in the country with the proper visa.

Heck, my wife's "Welcome to America," gift was a Henry Big Boy repeating rifle in .44 Magnum; I gave it to her around 45 minutes after she got off the plane. :P

Nothing says I love you more than the Big Boy!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

What does four acronyms in one sentence say?

That you're used to dealing with government or that you're in the military.

Which is true in both cases for me lol.

Unless you're asking what they stand for, in which case:

LPR = Legal Permanent Resident

LTC = License to Carry

FID = Firearms Identification

MA = Massachusetts.

I am the USC.

The member "Khaleesi" is my beautiful wife.