Dianna.

Building up credit

50 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

What I did was apply for a secured card with Capital One and started establishing credit with them. When my husband came I added him on as a authorized user and he got his own credit card. Keep in mind that you can only spend whats available.

Once my husband started using the credit card, he then applied for his very own account using a secured method. Now his score is higher then mine and in a short time. We also have the Capital One 360. Now hes getting all of these offers for unsecured credit, but as I told him its better to stick with Capital one cause in the end if he ever messed up then they would always take him back.

Of all the credit cards out there Capital One is my all time favorite. I just opened a savings with them as well.

Hope all the info you are getting helps you.

Good luck

Edited by Faycel and Renee

My first credit card was with Capital One. They have one for immigrants/no credit. $0 annual fee. They upgraded mine after a year.

http://www.creditcards.com/no-credit-history.php

Adding you as an authorised user does NOT raise or down your credit score at all.

On your credit report, you are reported as an authorised user. You cannot co-sign a credit card. When I first came to this country, I opened a credit card at macys using my passport, state ID and another credit card from my home country. It was opened on the spot and approved with 1,000 credit line. I let it sit there for few weeks and applied for a Bank of America credit card (not secured!) and was approved in few days.

I would also recommend you taking an AMEX charge card, since it is a charge card, it gets approved easier than regular credit cards. I almost had no problem with chase approving me . I wouldn't recommend capital one to ANYBODY, since they literally send me an approved offer every other month and each time i applied,I was declined with 3 hard pulls.

I remember Barclays representative told me i was declined because they only issue cards to US citizens.

This is incorrect. Adding an authorized user WILL change your credit score as all 3 credit agencies will report on both users. I have confirmed this with AMEX and Capital One after adding my husband. Secondly, Capital One is a great card for people who are not yet US citizens as they offer some of the best rates on secured credit cards. My husband just received his and he is not yet LPR.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

as an F1 student with no job, i firstly applied for capital one and got rejected. I also tried store credit at jc penney and same result. I then went to a bank of America ( i had both checking and saving with them at that time. I don't know if this contributed ) and explain my situation. They asked me how much money i make a year. I said none on my own but i do receive a monthly transfer from my parents to my checking. They then checked and approved me on the spot for an unsecured card with $ 700 limit. I always paid in full on time and 6 months later, i started receiving invitations from all the major credit card company out there.

- 03/25/2015 : Package sent via USPS certified mail with return receipt.

- 03/27/2015 : Notification from USPS - Package delivered and signed for at 7am.

- 04/01/2015 : Emails/Texts from USCIS.

- 04/02/2015 : Money was taken out of bank account.

- 04/06/2015 : Hard copies of receipts.

- 04/10/2015 : Biometrics letter in mail. Scheduled for 04/20

- 04/20/2015 : Biometrics completed. In and out in 5 min.

- 05/15/2015 : Opened a service request about the EAD

- 05/19/2015 : EAD card picked up by post office.

- 05/19/2015 : EAD card delivered.

- 08/25/2015 : Interview scheduled for 09/29/2015 (approved on spot)

- 10/03/2015 : Card received (4 days after interview)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Depending on how much money you have in your bank account, wouldn't that help build a credit score?! Or is it just based on how good you are with handling your credit and they don't care how much money you have in the bank or can save up?

By the way, found this link to Forbes, discussing how to improve your credit score:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2014/05/02/11-ways-to-raise-your-credit-score-fast/

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ppl gave a lot of good tips but also some don't know what they are talking about. Go to myfico.com and read their forum section. It's like reading VJ forum lots of good information there. You will learn everything you need to know, which lenders are easy to get approved with low and no score at all, which cards are better and how to use them to efficiently increase your score.

Some people here said that adding to a phone bill and paying on time helps, I personally doubt that because phone companies and any other utility company don't report to the bureaus.

There is so much to learn about credit and in VJ you won't learn 1% of it. Go to myfico.com and read their forum like you do here.

-AOS sent (I-485 I-130 and I-765) 03/06/15

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

-NOA in the mail 03/20/15

-Biometric letter 03/27/15

-Biometric appointment 04/06/15

Timeline

Depending on how much money you have in your bank account, wouldn't that help build a credit score?! Or is it just based on how good you are with handling your credit and they don't care how much money you have in the bank or can save up?

By the way, found this link to Forbes, discussing how to improve your credit score:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2014/05/02/11-ways-to-raise-your-credit-score-fast/

Money in the bank does not affect credit score at all.

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

Timeline

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I don't get the American credit score at all. So if someone just moves to the US and brings with them $100,000 to put in the bank, the credit score will still be bad??? A credit score is just about how you handle your credit and has nothing to do with your income or savings, so even if you don't need to buy something on credit, you should still do it just to improve your credit score, is that how it works???

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

I don't get the American credit score at all. So if someone just moves to the US and brings with them $100,000 to put in the bank, the credit score will still be bad??? A credit score is just about how you handle your credit and has nothing to do with your income or savings, so even if you don't need to buy something on credit, you should still do it just to improve your credit score, is that how it works???

credit
[ ˈkredit ]
NOUN
the ability of a customer to obtain goods or services before payment, based on the trust that payment will be made in the future:

Having money in the bank doesn't necessarily mean a person is credit worthy, it's also based on one's word to pay back a loan.

Timeline

Correct, they wana see your ability to handle credit and pay on time. How much money you have dnt matter. I pay EVERYTHING with a credit card (even my apartment rent) and pay it all back before statement cuts. I have many cards that give me miles and cash back so as long as I am not carrying a balance from month to month ( which would lead to be charged interest ) it is a win win when you use credit card.

Quoting what you said " you should buy on credit to improve credit" that's not necessarily right, using credit dnt improve the score, there are many factors that influence the score like length of account history, payments on time, credit mix (revolving credit, mortgage, car loan, personal loan) all this things have different affects on the score.

I already posted but I will say it one more time, lol GO TO http://ficoforums.myfico.com/?cm_sp=mobile-_-bottom-_-community

Finding myfico.com 3 years ago was one of the best things that happened to me.

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

We joined a credit union and I am an authorised signer on his credit card for now :)

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Wow, thanks everyone for all the advice and help.

I think I will get my partner to add me as an authorized user to the store credit card (the debt ratio is way below 40%) and try to get an unsecured credit card at the credit union. They told me if I have a co-signer then it will help me get approved for one. Failing that I will go for the Capital One secured card that everyone here has recommended.

Nick-Nick is right. I should've done this sooner. Especially since I will need evidence to remove the two year conditions. So maybe I should be on the store credit card as a joint holder instead of an authorized user? My partner already has a credit card with the credit union but the debt ratio is above the 40% mark. Unless they can also issue another card but as joint instead? I'm just confused now. It seems like it would solve both issues; credit built along with evidence. Unless it's too soon and I need to be an authorized user first since I have no credit?

So taking that into consideration, what should I do? Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.