We Keep Receipts

DEA Steals $16,000 In Cash From Young Black Man, Because He Must Be A Drug Dealer

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think the bigger issue here is that they will take any amount of money. This received press because its a huge sum of money, but police across the nation are doing this. Other nation's embassies are actually warning their citizens not to carry lots of money on them when they travel to the US because police may steal it.

Also, regarding search and seizure, most states have stop and identify which allows for the search of one's person for the safety of the officer.

Edited by Sousuke

1d35bdb6477b38fedf8f1ad2b4c743ea.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

And to think that it was a huge scandal when the TSA were robbing from people's luggage because they weren't legally responsible for loss or damage resulting from your bags being searched under the patriot act.

Skip forward to 2015 and your everyday police force is doing it. Can you say corruption? I know you can..

Edited by Venkman

And to think that it was a huge scandal when the TSA were robbing from people's luggage because they weren't legally responsible for loss or damage resulting from your bags being searched under the patriot act.

Skip forward to 2015 and your everyday police force is doing it. Can you say corruption? I know you can..

corruption is the law.

“In tight budget periods, and even in times of budget surpluses, using asset forfeiture dollars to purchase equipment and training to stay current with the ever-changing trends in crime fighting helps serve and protect the citizens,” said Prince George’s County, Md., police spokeswoman Julie Parker.

Brad Cates, a former director of asset forfeiture programs at the Justice Department, said the spending identified by The Post suggests police are using Equitable Sharing as “a free floating slush fund.” Cates, who oversaw the program while at Justice from 1985 to 1989, said it has enabled police to sidestep the traditional budget process, in which elected leaders create law enforcement spending priorities.

“All of this is fundamentally at odds with the U.S. Constitution,” said Cates, who recently co-wrote an article calling for the program’s abolition on The Post’s editorial page. “All of this is at odds with the rights that Americans have.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/10/11/cash-seizures-fuel-police-spending/

Point very well taken. There are ways to minimize this risk: "Officer, I'm not resisting you. In general discussions with my attorney, he has recommended never consenting to any search for any reason, and I respect that advice. Am I free to go?"

Of course, a 16-year-old wouldn't have an attorney, nor would he probably be quick-thinking or sophisticated enough to come up with a variant of this.

Truth, but there lies another problem. There's another belief that if you don't consent then you must be hiding something. This is why it's kind of a conundrum. Unless you're well versed with the law and have a butt ton of credible witnesses(read white) and have video proof there's no way I would even attempt to do this.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Well, he might need a place to stay.

he's gonna need a new vj account here shortly that's for sure.

edit: nevermind it already happened

Edited by val erie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

tos violations removed and admin action taken.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!