We Keep Receipts

DEA Steals $16,000 In Cash From Young Black Man, Because He Must Be A Drug Dealer

53 posts in this topic

That's a lot of money to carry around in cash. Why not use a debit card or somethng safer?

Of course what happened is wrong but man, I wouldn't walk around with $500 in cash, especially in South Africa where people are murdered for less than $20.

Edited by Saffer

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Whether or not it's sensible for anyone to carry around that amount of cash the point surely is whether it's OK to assume that someone carrying a large amount of cash is guilty of a crime, simply because they have money on them.

I agree, they should not be presumed guilty before it is proven. On a seperate note, I've always been asked by customs/immigration officers how much cash I have on me when entering the US. They don't like to hear amounts more than $10,000. Seems to be a big push in the US to discourage people from walking around with loads of cash.

Timeline

I agree, they should not be presumed guilty before it is proven. On a seperate note, I've always been asked by customs/immigration officers how much cash I have on me when entering the US. They don't like to hear amounts more than $10,000. Seems to be a big push in the US to discourage people from walking around with loads of cash.

That's a different issue - every country has laws limiting the amount of cash you can bring across an international border before it needs to be declared. Not declaring it is a crime.

There are no such restrictions on carrying large amounts of cash within your own country.

Yeah I get it's a different issue. But what's the point of people posting these stories here just to stir the pot between liberals and conservatives and everyone else in between? We can all agree that what happened to this man is unfair. But what are we supposed to do about it?

Are you going to start a petition for him? If you do, I'll be happy to sign it.

Timeline

Yeah I get it's a different issue. But what's the point of people posting these stories here just to stir the pot between liberals and conservatives and everyone else in between? We can all agree that what happened to this man is unfair. But what are we supposed to do about it?

Are you going to start a petition for him? If you do, I'll be happy to sign it.

This forum is all about stirring the pot.

No. When you're black, you're guilty until proven innocent.

but if there's no charge, there's no opportunity to prove anything. and i'm pretty sure this is open season on amtrak - you don't have to be black to look like a drug dealer. just travelling alone, in a sleeper car, not checking your bags..read the article i posted.

There are no such restrictions on carrying large amounts of cash within your own country.

indeed, as long as one fully understands that any amount of cash is not actually their own. it's up for the taking.

but if there's no charge, there's no opportunity to prove anything. and i'm pretty sure this is open season on amtrak - you don't have to be black to look like a drug dealer. just travelling alone, in a sleeper car, not checking your bags..read the article i posted.

indeed, as long as one fully understands that any amount of cash is not actually their own. it's up for the taking.

This is VJ. We don't read, we react.

Does that not also mean that there's a 67% chance that he's not? Or is that not relevant seeing that we're talking about a young black male here?

But one chance in three is pretty good odds. If only picking the lottery numbers had such odds. :devil:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Attorney after attorney has said, "Never ever consent to any search." If the agent had the right to search, he would have done so without the need to ask permission. The poor kid did it to himself by consenting ("complying"). There are also ways to deflect questions about destinations and reasons for travel, which no U.S. citizen need answer.

While this might work in some cases, being a 16 year old first time in the city, he thought he was doing the right thing. I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but from my friends and family, we typically don't want to rock the boat since cops have shown time and time again they're not above getting physical with someone if they think you're resisting.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

If some thief stole his money, everyone would be saying he was an IDIOT for carrying around that amount of cash. *stirring the pot*

did you read the article? a thief did steal his money! :diablo:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

we typically don't want to rock the boat since cops have shown time and time again they're not above getting physical with someone if they think you're resisting.

Point very well taken. There are ways to minimize this risk: "Officer, I'm not resisting you. In general discussions with my attorney, he has recommended never consenting to any search for any reason, and I respect that advice. Am I free to go?"

Of course, a 16-year-old wouldn't have an attorney, nor would he probably be quick-thinking or sophisticated enough to come up with a variant of this.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).