dgreening

Now that I have a green card and live in the US, how do I get a visa for wife for England?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I moved to the US for my American wife in December and love it here. I was wondering though, would it ever be possible for me to be able to get her a visa for the UK? What if we wanted to jump between countries in later life? Would be interested in the answer, or any personal experiences you have had doing this!

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The sponsorship requirements are higher, process quicker but otherwise similar.

You would both need Citizenship in both Countries to be able to easily pop back and forth.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your wife would go through the process in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi all,

I moved to the US for my American wife in December and love it here. I was wondering though, would it ever be possible for me to be able to get her a visa for the UK? What if we wanted to jump between countries in later life? Would be interested in the answer, or any personal experiences you have had doing this!

Thanks!

You are probably not going to like this answer, but here goes..

Immigration rules for the UK are very difficult, much more so than they are for the US. Based on the current standing rules since 2012, and the re-election of the Tory government, they will remain that way or become even more difficult for the indefinite future.

Firstly, you the UK citizen, would have to return, without your wife/family and seek out employment there. You would then have to file for a spousal type visa (there are three very lengthy stages to this once obtained). Only your money or assets can be taken into account, and not your wife's holdings or joint holdings until you get past at least the first hurdle.

As it stands the financial threshold is as follows:

£18,600 per year for at least six months, must be made by the UK spouse guaranteed (or a guaranteed UK job offer of valid within 3 months of the UK citizen returning to the UK), or £22,400 per year for spouse and one child, and an additional £2,400 per child -- unless you hold assets of £62,500 for just the spouse, £72,000 for spouse and one child, or an additional £6,000 per child.

You can combine earnings and assets, this being £16,000 required for yourself in earnings + additional savings of 2.5 times any income shortfall. If you have not been employed by that UK employer for at least 6 months upon filing you must prove that you have been making an equivalent amount with a previous employer for at least 1 year. If you cannot prove that, then you'll have to keep on working as long as it takes in the UK.

The amount of evidence they also ask for is rather hefty. The good news is, if you can jump past all the hurdles placed before you, it's pretty smooth sailing, and fast.

As you can see this has placed quite a difficult burden on families, has caused needless separations, financial and family hardships, and has caused many a good Brit to go with their non-EEA spouse and not look back. One day perhaps it will change, but until that time.. that's the way it is. EU rules right now are a little different, and some have been able to move to the EU under the freedom of movement, have their spouse obtain an EU resident card, and then go back to the UK. This will soon become more difficult most likely.

Prepare for the long haul in America unless of course financials are of no issue for you. There have been some recent cases however, even when all evidence has been proved to the Home Office, they have still rejected them. Including accusing couples being married for over 40 years of not being genuine. :)

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Just wait until you have US citizenship (and are dual). Otherwise you abandon your US LPR status and have to start over!

We plan (although plans change) to move to the UK sometime in the next several years (meaning 4-10) for a few years. That way I can get dual citizenship, too. Then we'll move back before our kids hit high school (i'm partial to the way schooling is done here). You never know what the future holds....what if we want to retire in England? Seems easier to do the proper immigration steps now while we're both able to be gainfully employed and meet the financial threshholds than later when we may be living off retirement accounts! And my (yet to be born...4 more months) kids will be dual citizens, so it would be nice to be able to travel with ease wherever they should choose to end up!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.