artist267

Parental consent to marry my girlfriend in the USA ?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She can file the I-129F petition before the age of 18. The instructions do not say someone must be 18 to file. It states that someone must have a parent sign for them if they are under 14.

Interesting

Pretty interesting they allow age 15 to 17 to petition for a fiancé, without parental consent....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Since everyone already answered the age question, I'm curious. Do you have a job? Do you meet the income requirement? If not, have you talked to anyone who is willing to be a co-sponsor? Lots of things to consider for K1, and then there are the things to consider when getting married too. Hope you know what you're getting yourself into. Good luck in your visa journey.

My girlfriend in the USA does not have a job at the moment.. however her father is willing to co-sponser her

Where is a 17 year old getting all of this money for the immigration process??

Saved up money...

Timeline

He is an adult, he is 21

Not yet

Some people say it can be done and some say it can't i tried calling information numbers they seem to not know anything themselves !

And for people asking is 6 months that long... not really to be honest but why not do it if i can at the time ? if not then ill wait 6 months no problem haha

Timeline

I see ur girlfriend lives in Boston, you need to be 18 to marry their ( I just looked it up). But I think you can better wait till she turned 18 before you apply. If your case gets approved before; u might not get a visa cus she is to young. I am not an expert, but I think it is good to wait.

I did not read that it said i can marry her between 16-18 with parental premission... now people on here say she cant file the petition as a 17 year old... and some say she can..

Maybe they're only thinking of the initial petition, not all the other costs involved. Like the visa application fee, and AOS.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Interesting

Pretty interesting they allow age 15 to 17 to petition for a fiancé, without parental consent....

If the state they will marry in allows them to marry without parental consent, then I suppose that is why the I-129F petition can be filed and signed by those over 14. Even if they can sign the petition, I would think most states will still ask for parental consent to marry that young, and they would need to include that with the petition.

I did not read that it said i can marry her between 16-18 with parental premission... now people on here say she cant file the petition as a 17 year old... and some say she can..

People can say/type anything. You need to research and read the instructions and immigration laws pertaining to what you want/need to file. I posted the I-129F form instructions to show that nowhere does it state you must be 18 to file that petition.

Here are the eligibility requirements, listed again for you > http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Being at least 18 is not among those, but being free to marry is. That is why she will need the parental consent to marry so she can show she is legally able to marry when filing.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Age of consent for sex is not the same as legally adult. She cannot sign a contract until she is 18. She cannot legally marry without parental consent until she is 18. Waiting 6 months for her to be able to make legal decisions for herself seems to be the best course of action.

That´s right.

Sorry I was not clear on why I posted this -

It popped into my head because my sister was in a similar-ish situation (not the wanting to get married part, but dating a 7 year older guy at a very young age) and they looked it up to make sure they didnt do something that could get him into trouble.

Edited by Mena28

Timeline

If the state they will marry in allows them to marry without parental consent, then I suppose that is why the I-129F petition can be filed and signed by those over 14. Even if they can sign the petition, I would think most states will still ask for parental consent to marry that young, and they would need to include that with the petition.

People can say/type anything. You need to research and read the instructions and immigration laws pertaining to what you want/need to file. I posted the I-129F form instructions to show that nowhere does it state you must be 18 to file that petition.

Here are the eligibility requirements, listed again for you > http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Being at least 18 is not among those, but being free to marry is. That is why she will need the parental consent to marry so she can show she is legally able to marry when filing.

Ahaa... that make's sense thank you Kay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.