Jaime & Aisha

CRBA or K2 (split topic)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

congratulations on the ease of getting through the system, this makes you guys a subject matter expert. can you explain the time requirement, as defined by the consulate in Ethiopia?

I'm the US citizen parent, and I have not been physically present in the USA for 5 years prior to my daughter's birth in Ethiopia. If all added up, it would be about 2.5 years out of the last 5. And she is 5.

I am debating on filing a CRBA for her, or to just go with the K1/K2 (mom/her).

Her Ethiopian birth certificate lists me as her father, and she carries my last name as family name. Her passport reflects my name as well. I just don't want to complicate anything.

By the way, I learned of her birth 3 years after--long story. Mom and I are getting married, as soon as they arrive. I've been back to see them several times over the last 2 years.

What are your thoughts?

"MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR"

//www.facebook.com/Novi29F/

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

congratulations on the ease of getting through the system, this makes you guys a subject matter expert. can you explain the time requirement, as defined by the consulate in Ethiopia?

I'm the US citizen parent, and I have not been physically present in the USA for 5 years prior to my daughter's birth in Ethiopia. If all added up, it would be about 2.5 years out of the last 5. And she is 5.

Her Ethiopian birth certificate lists me as her father, and she carries my last name as family name. Her passport reflects my name as well. I just don't want to complicate anything.

By the way, I learned of her birth 3 years after--long story. Mom and I are getting married, as soon as they arrive. I've been back to see them several times over the last 2 years.

What are your thoughts?

As far as I know, its not like 5 years prior to the childs birth. It could be 5 years anytime in your life, 2 of which should be after age 14.

Anyone esle, please correct me if I am wrong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

What are your thoughts?

As far as I know, its not like 5 years prior to the childs birth. It could be 5 years anytime in your life, 2 of which should be after age 14.

Anyone esle, please correct me if I am wrong.

This is correct... the parent needs to have lived in the US for a total of 5 years at any time in his/her life including 2 years after the age of 14.

So if you lived in the US only from ages 0-4 and then again from 14-17, you meet the requirement, even if your child was born when you were in your thirties.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Yes, that's right. 5 years total, 2 after 14. The thing is, if your passport doesn't show it then you have to find documents that prove you were residing in the US like utility bills and such.

But that's the easy part. Its good your name is on her birth certificate, etc. I wonder, though, if they will question you not knowing about/being present for the birth and first three years. Its possible they may require a paternity test.

I think if you go the K1/K2 route your daughter can acquire citizenship when she becomes a LPR. You can check the USCIS Policy manual - its online.

You might want to post your question to the K1 forum. Maybe someone knows for sure.

Another thing - if you email the embassy asking about it they are very responsive and helpful. They can send you the checklist for crba. And the forms say *certified* copies of documents are required, but they do take notarized copies.

USCIS

03-26-2015 - I-130s sent (from abroad)

03-31-2015 - NOA1

05-01-2015 - RFE sent but we didn't receive mail at our address abroad

05-24-2015 - Baby and I returned to US

07-02-2015 - RFE response sent

07-10-2015 - NOA2

NVC

08-19-2015 - NVC received (6 weeks later)

08-26-2015 - DS-261

08-26-2015 - AOS bill paid

09-09-2015 - Requested expedite based on financial hardship

09-16-2015 - NVC received AOS and IV packets

09-21-2015 - Expedite request approved once cases documentarily complete

09-24-2015 - IV bill paid

09-29-2015 - NVC received updated joint sponsor I-864

10-04-2015 - Hubby's DS-260 finally finished

10-30-2015 - Checklist for stepdaughter (operator said it's probably false)

11-04-2015 - Case Complete for stepson!

11-06-2015 - Supervisor review for hubby and stepdaughter

11-09-2015 - Case Complete for stepdaughter!

11-30-2015 - Case Complete for husband! (24 days in supervisor review)

Consulate (Expedited)

12-03-2015 left NVC

12-30-2015 Interview letter received

01-13-2016 Medical completed

01-26-2016 Interview: APPROVED :dancing:

01-26-2016 CEAC Visa status: Ready

01-27-2016 CEAC Visa status: Administrative Processing

01-28-2016 CEAC Visa status: Issued

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Posts split into separate thread as poster is posting their own question and not replying to the OP of the other thread.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

It's important to understand that it's not really your choice. If you meet the citizenship transmission requirements, your daughter, by law, must enter the US on a US travel document (i.e., a US passport). The CRBA is the first step to documenting her citizenship. If you try to go the K2 route because it appears easier, you may only delay the process, since the visa officer will require you to file the documents for the CRBA is it appears she has citizenship from birth.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.