We Keep Receipts

Another hot car death: Police investigate why toddler left in Florida vehicle

29 posts in this topic

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/14/us/florida-hot-car-toddler-death/index.html

Lake City, Florida (CNN)A 16-month-old girl died after her father forgot to take her to day care and left her in a vehicle in the northern Florida sun, according to the Columbia County Sheriff's Office, citing what family members told authorities.

Police are investigating the Tuesday death, casting the girl's parents into the spotlight: The girl's mother has been identified as Wendy Timonera Kwon, an assistant state attorney; her father is Young Kwon, a public defender.

"This is still an active investigation, and we're still in the process of conducting interviews," said Gretl Plessinger, Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The Sheriff's Office asked the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to investigate the death because the girl's parents work for the 3rd Judicial Circuit.

"They just don't make them any better than Young and Wendy," said Blair Payne, a public defender for the 3rd Judicial Circuit. "He was great with his kids. There is absolutely no way that this was anything other than just a horrendous accident."

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's so sad. Sleeping or just very quiet child, parent whose routine's been thrown off for some reason or parent with way too much on their mind and then a parent who has to live with having killed their child.

I feel for the parents.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: Timeline

Maybe maybe not.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/dad-forgets-baby-in-back-of-car-calls-police-from-train/32996878

(I guess you could say this guy at least remembered).

I guess it's possible but where are peoples priorities? Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Can someone Inbox me when it turns to Race, Muslims or Rednecks.. I ain't got time for this other mess

Filed: Timeline

I was driving today to work (I work in Marin and my wife works in SF) and I was on autopilot and forgot to drop her at the bus stop.......

She wasn't very happy with me.

I take it you don't have children. And I say that because as a parent you'd know there's a difference when you talk about your offspring.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess it's possible but where are peoples priorities?

The unfortunate irony of these cases is that, all too often, their priorities ARE with their children.

For example (though not this case, a profile built of several cases I've followed over the past two years).

Mom and Dad are up all night for the week, nursing the baby or toddler through teething, a cold or other ailment. Devoted parents, they are now sleep deprived from trying to help their little one. Mom usually drops the child off at daycare, but Mom has an appointment she can't reschedule that morning. Tiredly, she heads to her appointment. Dad, in his exhausted haze, straps the little one into their carseat, often a rearfacing carseat (it should be noted that rearfacing past the age of one year, as opposed to forward facing, is a HUGE step up in safety often taken by the most careful and caring of parents) that he can't see from the rearview mirror. He realizes he's forgotten his briefcase on the kitchen table because he had his arms full of child and runs back into the house to grab it. He's already going to be late for work thanks to dropping off the kid, now he's going to be later. Isn't his boss going to be mad about that? Now his mind is on work.

He puts the briefcase on the passenger seat and heads out of the driveway, thinking about closing that business deal or whatever, which will look good next time he's up for a raise so maybe they can afford a better preschool or a family vacation. As he hits the road, the vibration of the car soothes the also exhausted little one to sleep. Out of sight, out of hearing, out of mind as he focusses on work and providing for his family.

He gets to work, gets out of the car and hurries in. Hours later, something makes him think of the baby and he rushes out to find a corpse.

It's working families who are hard working members of society who truly care about their children that this happens to most often, unfortunately, and they get nailed to the wall for it. It makes me sad because once they have an accident like this, their lives are over. Marriages typically break up within a couple of years of the death of a child. Their child is dead. Their home is filled with memories. Everything is over and they're punished enough, in most cases (yes, criminally negligent parents do exist--I know this first-hand), that anything more is just torture.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It seems like there are a few incidents of it every year. I think that in most cases the parent just had a mental lapse and it wasn't intentional.

We will have a handful of them in Dallas pretty soon once the summer heat come on...