kszx

Fiance's tourist Visa expired

50 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Sure, and we would have been together. But he'd have to stay for a long time so it didn't look like visa fraud from his tourist visa (it wasn't--we had no intent to get married) and we simply couldn't afford to have him not work for 3-5 months. And we weren't totally ready to get married anyway so the k-1 made sense for us. He tied up loose ends in India and came over when we were both ready. We also didn't realize how long k-1 would take :P We guessed 6 months, lol. Whoops. All's well that ends well, I suppose!

Why not? Isn't it the fastest route?

yes by birth

florida doesn't require a medical exam from what i've read

Adjustment of Status is a part of immigration law which means under federal jurisdiction. Not a state law. You have to do that whether you like it or not. Everyone who wants to adjust the status has to do medical exam. Period! Even people who adjusted from K-1 visa have to included the medical exam in their AoS package.
Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Basically 2 reasons:

1. Its naughty.

2. More importantly it is gainst the TOC on VJ to even suggest such a thing.

Consider yourself repremanded.

BS. Someone earlier in the thread said it's LEGAL. So how is that against TOC?

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

That all sounds pretty fishy. Did you ever took into consideration that she only wants to marry just to stay in the U.S.?

I would be very careful, if this turns to be out to be a faked marriage it easily can fire back on yourself at some point.

For outsider like us, probably it sounds fishy. But I have met someone who chose this route - my husband's co-worker-. He started dating this woman after she came in the U.S. and her tourist visa was already expired. I would thought ah that's a fake marriage. But, if it was a fake marriage, then their relationship won't lasted that long. They have been married over 10 years and she will going to apply for the citizenship soon.

Not everyone is same.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

BS. Someone earlier in the thread said it's LEGAL. So how is that against TOC?

I think I have only met one person who came as I did on a K1, everybody else entered on some other visa or the VWP and adjusted.

The distinction is intent, if you are here in the US you can change your mind :idea: and adjust, the naughty bit is entering as a tourist with the intent to change your mind. That is the TOC bit that gets a thread closed down pretty quick.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'm confused because the title of the topic says that his visitor visa expired.

If his/her visa is expired, wouldn't that be a different situation than someone who is on a currently ACTIVE visitor visa and then got married?

Getting married after the visa expires does look a lot like that the person just stayed and got married to stay in. Looks a bit less legit.

Personally, I'd never do that. I tend to play things by the book, it's not worth it to me to get my fiance locked out of the country because we wanted it to go quick. Rather take the long right legal route and have it all worth it when it's done.

Edit: Yeah, You said the fiances visa expired 5 months ago. They can see when his visa expired and see when you got married. Granted some people do it like this, but still... They weren't your spouse when the visa expired.

A good way to see if people will think it's weird is just by asking yourself this:

When they ask you why did the fiance stay in the US five months past expiration and wait so long to get married? Why couldn't they return home, and if it was financial, why didn't they make a better plan TO return home.

It kinda looks like they came with the intent to stay.

Edited by ash1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

Common error, means the authorised stay has expired not the visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Common error, means the authorised stay has expired not the visa.

Ah okay. I think the lack of clairty, for me at least, is making this look a lot shadier than it might be.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Is it legal for her to even be in the US with an expired tourist visa? Legally you should get married and she goes back to her country to wait just like everyone else. Doesn't matter if you met her after she was already here.

I know, I have that same feeling too.

But keep in mind, that's a loophole people have used to adjust their status while they are in the U.S. Though it says "tourist visa" for pleasure and not for something else but some people used that as a shortcut. And it is legal!

But I have always wondering about their excuses on "intent". Who knows people's intent unless they said so openly? Someone could say," ah I never had intent to get married in the U.S. and just happened I have changed my mind shortly after I came here". No one will know that unless someone is an excellent mind reader, then would be easily to guess what the intent it is.

The downside of this process is actually affect others who filed for B-2 visa to visit their loved ones in the U.S. I applied B-2 visa back in 2010 and denied because I was going to visit my then-boyfriend (my now husband). Not only me. I have several girlfriends who got denied after they told CO that they were going to visit their boyfriends.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

The downside of this process is actually affect others who filed for B-2 visa to visit their loved ones in the U.S. I applied B-2 visa back in 2010 and denied because I was going to visit my then-boyfriend (my now husband). Not only me. I have several girlfriends who got denied after they told CO that they were going to visit their boyfriends.

I was the only person who had a US SO, to have several friends involved in overseas relationships sounds odd, and all with USC's?

I was the only person who had a US SO, to have several friends involved in overseas relationships sounds odd, and all with USC's?

Those friends I have met through on Visa Journey and then we chose to connected on Facebook. Is it still sound odd to you? ;) .

Edited:

Those friends are actually from the Philippines.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

Those friends I have met through on Visa Journey and then we chose to connected on Facebook. Is it still sound odd to you? ;) .

Edited:

Those friends are actually from the Philippines.

Not really, I have about 500 on Facebook but only call a few friends, I thought you meant something else.

PI, lets be real, TnT?

Edited by Boiler

Not really, Ihave about 500 on Facebook but only call a few friends, I thought you meant something else.

PI, lets be real, TnT?

I have more than you have but I don't talk to all them. Only a few. But we talked almost everyday because of this immigration process. So, technically, we called each other girlfriends. I don't choose my friends based on where they are come from. As long as they are nice, I don't care the rest of it. So yes, I have several Filipina girlfriends on Facebook because we are related to each other for this immigration process.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

That is fine, ask them about TnT and that will explain the visitor issue.

That is fine, ask them about TnT and that will explain the visitor issue.

I will try to ask. They just told me got denied for a tourist visa and I won't ask the further detail unless they are willing to talk to me at first place. I have met one of them in Key West, actually. In fact, her husband found me on Visa Journey when he saw my husband's picture on signature.

My husband and her husband were at same USCG station while they were in Bahrain. So, he told me about his then-fiancee got denied twice for a tourist visa (she's from the Philippines). He also mentioned about another guy who date a Chinese woman from Hong Kong was also got denied for a tourist visa because of "relationship with USC". I have known this information because have met a few of them and for outsider who does not know the whole story would thinking something is odd with all kind of friends I have.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.