34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Has your girlfriend thought about pursuing a non-immigrant visa - perhaps a work visa or a student visa?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline

Hi i have indefinite asylum in the usa and came here in 1991. But i dont have a greencard or citizenship because i just filled out the applications. But i did graduate college here and my brother has citizenship and greencard. Also my sister was born here and shes 21 now. The issue i have is that i met a girl from montenegro and i want to marry her but shes over there. Whats the fastest and easiest process to start with? I was born in montenegro former yugoslavia. Thank you

Like others said there is no quick way in your case. I would say first you should become a US citizen. If you file for her while still being a greencard holder, the process is more lengthy.

1. Get your greencard.

2. Become a naturalized US citizen

3. File either for a K-1 (fiance) visa or IR-1/CR-1 (spousal) visa to bring her to the US.

Bringing her over here is still long years from now. In the meantime make multiple visits and spend lots of time in person and build up evidence of bonafide relationship (or marriage if you decide to get married - in this case the spousal visa is your option).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My understanding is said girlfriend is not in the US.

OP you would need to get your GC first (become a permanent resident), marry your girlfriend (you can do this now), and file under visa category F2B. The wait is approximately 1.5 years before the visa is available based on the most recent visa bulletin.

There is no fiancée petition available for permanent resident, this is only available for US citizen.

Unless I'm missing something OP, how come you never filed for your permanent resident earlier. If you had, you would have been a US citizen by now.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin/2015/visa-bulletin-for-june-2015.html

I would follow this advice. You misunderstood the previous poster. No, the process will not take 14 years. Reread this post I quoted and begin this process. Good luck.

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

My understanding is said girlfriend is not in the US.

OP you would need to get your GC first (become a permanent resident), marry your girlfriend (you can do this now), and file under visa category F2B. The wait is approximately 1.5 years before the visa is available based on the most recent visa bulletin.

There is no fiancée petition available for permanent resident, this is only available for US citizen.

Unless I'm missing something OP, how come you never filed for your permanent resident earlier. If you had, you would have been a US citizen by now.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin/2015/visa-bulletin-for-june-2015.html

I believe that the OP's case would fall under the F2A visa category, and not F2B as you mentioned.

F2A is for Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents.

F2B is for Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older) of Permanent Residents.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Begs the question how long it would take him assuming he can to get PR status through Asylum. I have no idea, not a situation you see on VJ.

Sounds like his Parents are in a similar position.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-refugee-or-asylee-status/green-card-asylee Read this section to see if you qualify to apply for a green card. I am not certain if asylee status is still being granted to people from your country. If not best have sis file that I-130 for you.

Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-refugee-or-asylee-status/green-card-asylee Read this section to see if you qualify to apply for a green card. I am not certain if asylee status is still being granted to people from your country. If not best have sis file that I-130 for you.

Does raise an interesting question, I have been to Montenegro, Sveti Stefan to be precise, some time back, but it is a popular holiday destination, certainly from the UK.

Very nice area, I know things went tits up when Yugoslavia split up but all is good now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is no short path for what you want to do. It will be long, and painful.

I wish there was a simple answer, but there is not.

All you can do is get a GC, and meet the girl, marry her and file the visa to bring her here.

I do not,..,.,understand your post about how you are able to stay here, for so long.,.,.with no immigration action taken.,.,just never read anything like this.

You have a long journey, get started.,.,it is worth it in the end.

Timeline

Student Visa's are non immigrant.

I believe that the OP's case would fall under the F2A visa category, and not F2B as you mentioned.

F2A is for Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents.

F2B is for Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older) of Permanent Residents.

Yes, I stand corrected it should have been F2A. OP, until you get your GC (aka permanent resident) there's nothing you can do at this point for your girlfriend/fiancée.

Timeline

So the only way i can marry my gf here is if im a US citizen?

Or a Permanent Resident.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.