Mr. Big Dog

North Korea executes defence chief with an anti-aircraft gun

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Instant wood for some around here, I'm sure...

North Korea executes defence chief with an anti-aircraft gun

North Korea executed its defence chief by putting him in front of an anti-aircraft gun at a firing range, Seoul's National Intelligence Service told lawmakers, which would be the latest in a series of high-level purges since Kim Jong Un took charge.

Hyon Yong Chol, who headed the isolated nuclear-capable country's military, was charged with treason, including disobeying Kim and falling asleep during an event at which North Korea's young leader was present, according to South Korean lawmakers briefed in a closed-door meeting with the spy agency on Wednesday.

His execution was watched by hundreds of people, according to NIS intelligence shared with lawmakers.

It was not clear how the NIS obtained the information and it is not possible to independently verify such reports from within secretive North Korea.

"The NIS official said it had been confirmed by multiple sources. It is still just intelligence, but he said they were confident," Shin Kyoung-min, a lawmaker and member of the opposition New Politics Alliance for Democracy, who attended the briefing, told Reuters.

Experts on North Korea said there was no sign of instability in Pyongyang, but there could be if purges continued.

A spokesman for the U.S. State Department, Jeff Rathke, said he could not confirm the reports about Hyon but called them "disturbing."

"If they are true, (they) describe another extremely brutal act by the North Korean regime. These reports, sadly, are not the first in this regard," he told a regular news briefing.

Kim had previously ordered the execution of 15 senior officials this year as punishment for challenging his authority, according to the NIS. In all, some 70 officials have been executed since Kim took over after his father's death in 2011, Yonhap news agency cited the NIS as saying.

"There is no clear or present danger to Kim Jong Un's leadership or regime stability, but if this continues to happen into next year, then we should seriously start to think about revising our scenarios on North Korea," said Michael Madden, an expert on the country's leadership who contributes to the 38 North think tank in Washington.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That regime is so weird. I'm sure the Il family are running their country like it's a real life version of The Sims.

Probably chose the AA gun because he fancied seeing what would happen. The sick little pervert.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You have a problem with Reuters using English? :huh:

Well then NPR, CNN, FOX, and the rest spelled it wrong...

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

ok I looked it up.. :)

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is The English language..

We'll do what we want

ok I looked it up.. :)

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.

Would it be an abuse of power if I changed to "defense"? You know, cus MURCA!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The threat title has to match the article headline. And the thread title uses proper English.

Your rules. Sucks, don't it?

I have no rules regarding threat titles that I'm aware of.

VJ allegedly does. Do I need to demonstrate it?

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

(I can post this with impunity because this here is the Wild West of the lower fora -- yee ha!)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

The threat title has to match the article headline. And the thread title uses proper English.

Your rules. Sucks, don't it?

I have no rules regarding threat titles that I'm aware of.

I just want you guys to know that your threats don't skeer me. I have faced down the Tiger of the internets many times and lived to tell about it!!