GyH

K2 visa

10 posts in this topic

I probably shouldn't be worrying because I haven't received my NOA 2 but I like to be prepared. I will be getting a K2 visa for my fiancé's son for him to join him and travel together once approved. I know that we need to get a notarized letter from mom saying that she is giving permission for the father to take the son to live in the US but I was wondering is it too soon to get that letter? How long is the letter valid for? I'm just wondering because I wouldn't want to go through the whole K2 process to then have mom say no when the time comes to sign the letter.

The notary part of the letter will be valid forever, the notary only needs to make sure that the person signing is not being forced to do so. There is no time limit on how long a notarized signature is valid. Of course, the more recent the letter, the better. But you need to start finding out if the mom will cooperate or not. You're with CSC and they have been processing petitions really fast lately. Will your fiance still push through if his son can't come with him to the US?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An inadvertent duplicate post has been removed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

The notary part of the letter will be valid forever, the notary only needs to make sure that the person signing is not being forced to do so. There is no time limit on how long a notarized signature is valid. Of course, the more recent the letter, the better. But you need to start finding out if the mom will cooperate or not. You're with CSC and they have been processing petitions really fast lately. Will your fiance still push through if his son can't come with him to the US?

Thank you for the response. We have talked about having a plan B just in case. That being that he will just come without him but of course were really just hoping that she will cooperate. His son is most of the time with my fiancé and I know he will be devastated if he can't come with him. But we are prepared for anything to happen. He's spoken to her briefly about it but she insisted on that there's still a long time before that happens and that they would talk about it then, but being that I have been processed through CSC it has to be done now sooner than later.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I probably shouldn't be worrying because I haven't received my NOA 2 but I like to be prepared. I will be getting a K2 visa for my fiancé's son for him to join him and travel together once approved. I know that we need to get a notarized letter from mom saying that she is giving permission for the father to take the son to live in the US but I was wondering is it too soon to get that letter?

No, it's usually suggested to obtain that prior to filing the K-1 petition.

How long is the letter valid for?

Forever

I'm just wondering because I wouldn't want to go through the whole K2 process to then have mom say no when the time comes to sign the letter.

You NEED this letter. It is a showstopper.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Thanks to ALL! Does anyone have access to an example letter? My fiancé went to speak to his lawyer and they told him that they can have the letter made but it would be done after visa is approved with flight information and everything.. Now according to what I have read here the letter is needed prior to the interview.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-acs/sample_letter_of_consent_to_travel.pdf

Just change the part about "permit to travel from (date) for a vacation" to something that says she is fully aware that the child will be immigrating/residing in the US for good.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks to ALL! Does anyone have access to an example letter? My fiancé went to speak to his lawyer and they told him that they can have the letter made but it would be done after visa is approved with flight information and everything.. Now according to what I have read here the letter is needed prior to the interview.

Many consulates need this letter before any visa would be issued, so yes get it now.

The example given is good and I'd change this has my/our consent to travel with to this

has my consent to immigrate to the United States and permanently reside there and to travel back to DR and then return to the US as often as needed.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I can be a simply letter to state that she is aware the child is immigrating to the USA. Saying she is giving her consent would be a bonus.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.