lexrj

Interview Experience Today

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Arrived 5min before the scheduled time, checked in and waited less than 2min to get called in, there were no more than 4 people waiting with me in the room. Interviewer was an older gentleman (50s I think), he was not rude but wasn't in a great mood, just going through the motions of a tedious job. I was able to hear parts of the conversation of another interview in a different office and the interviewer sounded a lot more cheerful and relaxed.

He started by the paperwork, took my passport, ID and green card, asked a weird question as how much I paid for rent and if I lived alone, everything else was pretty standard as he was going through my application. It took him probably 15-20min to work on the paperwork. I signed all the paperwork and he moved on to the testing, he started by asking me to read a question and writing down the answer he dictated, 3 words sentence. Then I got my civics questions: What's the name of the ocean on the East coast? How many senators in the senate? Name a state bordering Mexico? What's the age range for selective service? What's the capital of the US? Name a senator of your state?

I believe I got them all correct because he only did those 6 questions. He then did some more quick computer work and said he was recommending me for approval to his supervisor and I should have a decision in the mail. The whole process took about 40min and not stressful at all....

I'm hoping to get an email or letter in the mail soon with a confirmed approval! Fingers crossed!

Arrived 5min before the scheduled time, checked in and waited less than 2min to get called in, there were no more than 4 people waiting with me in the room. Interviewer was an older gentleman (50s I think), he was not rude but wasn't in a great mood, just going through the motions of a tedious job. I was able to hear parts of the conversation of another interview in a different office and the interviewer sounded a lot more cheerful and relaxed.

He started by the paperwork, took my passport, ID and green card, asked a weird question as how much I paid for rent and if I lived alone, everything else was pretty standard as he was going through my application. It took him probably 15-20min to work on the paperwork. I signed all the paperwork and he moved on to the testing, he started by asking me to read a question and writing down the answer he dictated, 3 words sentence. Then I got my civics questions: What's the name of the ocean on the East coast? How many senators in the senate? Name a state bordering Mexico? What's the age range for selective service? What's the capital of the US? Name a senator of your state?

I believe I got them all correct because he only did those 6 questions. He then did some more quick computer work and said he was recommending me for approval to his supervisor and I should have a decision in the mail. The whole process took about 40min and not stressful at all....

I'm hoping to get an email or letter in the mail soon with a confirmed approval! Fingers crossed!

Definitely sounds like an approval. Congratulations to you.

F-1 to LPR
Day 0 - 03/31/2012 - Package (concurrent I-{130/AOS/AP/EAD} ) sent to Chicago with USPS
Day 1 - 04/02/2012 - Delivered!!!
Day 5 - 04/06/2012 - "Acceptance confirmation received for entire forms & routed to NBC" was sent via email.
Day 10 - 04/11/2012 - NOA for I-{130/AOS/AP/EAD} Received.
Day 15 - 04/16/2012 - NOA for Biometrics appointment Received. {Scheduled for 05/08/12}
Day 37 - 05/08/2012 - Biometrics app completed.
Day 44 - 05/15/2012 - Interview date schedule @ Dallas/Irving TX..
Day 54 - 05/25/2012 - EAD/AP production Notification.
Day 75 - 06/15/2012 - Interview'd with NO approval. 1 hr Post-interview: Received I-485/Card production email.
Day 78 - 06/18/2012 - 2nd emails {I-485/Decision/Register PR and I-130/Post-Decision} Received.
Day 81 - 06/21/2012 - Received {email of Card mailed out} and 2 Hardcopies {I-485 & I-131 approval}
Day 83 - 06/23/2012 - GC touched down. 10x Mailman.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Indeed. :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Congrats.

Did you visit the Chula Vista office or the downtown one ?

I had my interview at the Chula Vista office and that was the first question they asked me "how much rent do i pay" .....

When did you file your n400 ?

Timeline

Congrats.

I had my interview at the Chula Vista office and that was the first question they asked me "how much rent do i pay" .....

Chula Vista

Filed on Feb 16th

How long it took for you to get your Oath Letter after the interview?

Edited by lexrj

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Congrats.

Sounds like an identity check question.

Sometimes the interviewer will ask a question to check that you are who you say you are. I would have the thought that the drivers license and the pasaport were enough proof, but they do ask these ID questions sometimes. The interviewer (depending on field office) might have your credit report on hand, so financial questions are an easy way to check, because they aren't part of the applocation and an imposter would not have memorized the answers. My guess is that some people at some pint have tried to get others to take the test for them.

I know that they used to fingerprint (optically) everyone when they showed up for their interviews... do they still do that?

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Sounds like an identity check question.

Sometimes the interviewer will ask a question to check that you are who you say you are. I would have the thought that the drivers license and the pasaport were enough proof, but they do ask these ID questions sometimes. The interviewer (depending on field office) might have your credit report on hand, so financial questions are an easy way to check, because they aren't part of the applocation and an imposter would not have memorized the answers. My guess is that some people at some pint have tried to get others to take the test for them.

I know that they used to fingerprint (optically) everyone when they showed up for their interviews... do they still do that?

I find it almost impossible to believe that they might have a copy of your credit report unless you provided one, not only credit reports do not contain any rental information but they are provided by private corporations which would required your consent to have your credit pulled.

FBI background checks do not contain any credit information, they are strictly for the purpose of criminal information.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I find it almost impossible to believe that they might have a copy of your credit report unless you provided one, not only credit reports do not contain any rental information but they are provided by private corporations which would required your consent to have your credit pulled.

FBI background checks do not contain any credit information, they are strictly for the purpose of criminal information.

I can't really disagree with you... I can only base my answers on the experiences of others. More than one interview experience on VisaJourney stated that they were asked a question about a large amount of credit card debt. The debt didn't cause an issue but the question was along the lines of "how much do you owe on your Visa card?"

You're right that the FBI check focuses on criminal records. has nothing to do with credit scores. However, governmental agencies can access your credit report without your consent. I don't think they would do this very often though so I found the credit card slept issue surprising too when I read it.

I also wasn't implying that they got the rental information from the credit report... just that they apparently have access to financial information. No idea why else they would ask people about rent or credit card debt other than to cross check information.

So it's all second hand information but that's what interview experiences are for. What you say may be true, but I don't know why the posters (about 2 or 3 different cases I've read) who wrote about being asked those questions would have made it up.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

I can't really disagree with you... I can only base my answers on the experiences of others. More than one interview experience on VisaJourney stated that they were asked a question about a large amount of credit card debt. The debt didn't cause an issue but the question was along the lines of "how much do you owe on your Visa card?"

You're right that the FBI check focuses on criminal records. has nothing to do with credit scores. However, governmental agencies can access your credit report without your consent. I don't think they would do this very often though so I found the credit card slept issue surprising too when I read it.

I also wasn't implying that they got the rental information from the credit report... just that they apparently have access to financial information. No idea why else they would ask people about rent or credit card debt other than to cross check information.

So it's all second hand information but that's what interview experiences are for. What you say may be true, but I don't know why the posters (about 2 or 3 different cases I've read) who wrote about being asked those questions would have made it up.

It might be part of English tests Mr.

I was asked "What is your baby name?" I was freaked out by "I am sorry? Can you please repeat it?" Then she asked me "what is your name when you were born?"

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.