Teddy B

Wife's Passport Expiring And Her Mother Is Ill

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

My wife's passport is expiring in August, which under normal circumstances would be no big deal, we would just apply by mail and send her old passport back to Canada and wait a few weeks for renewal. But we have a bit of a situation in that her Mom has become ill and at age 84 we're not sure how long she may be around. The situation is that we don't want my wife stuck in the states waiting for her passport renewal and having her Mom pass away.

We are going to Canada next week for 9 days, this was a pre-planned visit before her Mom got ill. We were wondering if we were to drop off her current Canadian passport at a Passport Canada office and apply for a new one if there is any way to expedite the renewal so we can pick the new passport up before we leave. Or if she applies for renewal and turns in her old passport while we're in Canada and has the new one mailed to our US address, will she be ok to enter the US with just her greencard? I know that technically the law says all she needs is her gc, but we all know how that goes with CBP officers. Has anyone else entered with just their greencard without problems?

We're trying to limit the amount of time my wife will be without her passport, any input is appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/service.aspx?lang=eng&region=Canada#urgent Appears 1 may be able to do the Urgent service for an additional fee

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/info/service.aspx?lang=eng&region=Canada#urgent Appears 1 may be able to do the Urgent service for an additional fee

Thank you Flames!

I wasn't aware they had a 24 hour express option. Hopefully with our itinerary and an explanation to the officer about her Mom, that will be enough to qualify for it. I'll let you know how we make out.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Been there and did that. Worked like a charm. I think we dropped early Tuesday morning and picked up Thursday. No real need for an explanation just need to pay the fee.

Just be absolutely sure that you have all of the information required and you get there early.

09/12/14 I 129F sent
TSC Assigned
09/18/14 NOA1 received
02/20/15 RFE received
03/17/15 RFE Reply
04/02/15 NOA2
08/04/15 Interview
08/17/15 POE
09/04/15 Wedding

AOS
09/29/15 Mailed
10/26/15 Biometrics

EAD
09/29/15Mailed
10/26/15 Biometrics
12/18/15 Card in production

12/23/15 Card mailed

12/24/15 Card received

1/18/16 Started work

I-751

11/13/17 Mailed to VSC

11/14/17 Received by VSC

11/20/17 NOA1 received 

12/09/17 Biometrics letter received 

12/21/17 Biometrics appointment

08/06/18 I-797 Notice of Action 18 month extension

01/18/19 10 Year Green Card Received 

N-400 

06/05/2019 Mailed

06/07/2019 Rec'd Texas

06/11/2019 NOA Rec'd

07/05/2019 Biometrics

11/07/2019 Interview

11/13/2019 Oath Ceremony

Been there and did that. Worked like a charm. I think we dropped early Tuesday morning and picked up Thursday. No real need for an explanation just need to pay the fee.

Just be absolutely sure that you have all of the information required and you get there early.

I had one done in a matter of two hours in an emergency.

That's good to know, thanks. Did either of you do a name change on your passport at the same time? We want to change my wife's last name on her passport to match her married name, but I'm not sure if it can be done on the expedite. I've been reading on passport Canada site and it appears doing a name change for the 24hr expedite might be a problem. The way I read the paragraph below, it says it can't be done, but it's confusing the way it's worded. Can anyone decypher this and let me know what they think, especially the part in red.

Name changes

All documentation, including your passport, should be issued under the same name. If you have changed your name on other identification documents, your passport should be in this same name.

For any name change, you must apply for a new passport using a General Passport Application:

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It doesn't say you can't expedite...it says you can't use the streamlined renewal process if you are changing the name. She is basically filling out a fresh Adult General Passport Application form due to the name change

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

It doesn't say you can't expedite...it says you can't use the streamlined renewal process if you are changing the name. She is basically filling out a fresh Adult General Passport Application form due to the name change

Ok, that makes sense now that I read it that way. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

This proved to be the case for my wife as well. We went to the Passport Canada office on Riverside Dr in Windsor at about 3pm on Monday afternoon with all of her paperwork, waited about 15 minutes for a window to open up and were out by 3:30pm. We picked up the new passport on Thursday morning at 10:30. The total cost for the 10 year passport including the expedite fee and new photos was just about $200 , but it all went very smoothly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great to know - I'm sure the peace of mind is worth it in her case

This proved to be the case for my wife as well. We went to the Passport Canada office on Riverside Dr in Windsor at about 3pm on Monday afternoon with all of her paperwork, waited about 15 minutes for a window to open up and were out by 3:30pm. We picked up the new passport on Thursday morning at 10:30. The total cost for the 10 year passport including the expedite fee and new photos was just about $200 , but it all went very smoothly.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Great to know - I'm sure the peace of mind is worth it in her case

Very much so. She got to spend some quality time with her Mom last week as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.