33 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My girlfriend is Indonesian, she's from Central Java. Need help with applying visa for her in the fall. What's the best way to go about getting a visitor visa? I'm planning to go to Indonesia February. Is it better to do the process while I'm there or is better for her to start the process while she's their?

If someone can please help much appreciated!

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Can you clarify what kind of visa you are looking for? You posted this in the K1 (fiance visa) forum, which is for people who want their foreign fiances to come to the USA, get married within 90 days, and stay. But you mention a tourist visa (B2), which allows a max stay of 6 months, you can't live or work in the USA with it, and need to go home at the end of the time.

Or are you planning to do a K1, and have the B2 for visiting during the processing time?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Your post; well, makes no sense. Is she a visitor, your fiance, or your girlfriend? Sounds to me like you want to manipulate the truth to try and get a visa in the "best way." What is the truth? Take the answer (the truth) and then apply for that visa. You have to wait, just like everyone else.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa Do I Need, from K1 - As the OP is not sure what they are looking for.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

First of all where is "here" and where is "there"? If "here" is the US and "there" is where she lives than the question is there. You apply for the visa before she comes to the US not afterwards.

If she will only come to visit (You do NOT intend to get married) best option is probably tourist visa. If you do intend to marry her than you might want to consider the K1 visa. Do not try to go over on a tourist visa and then get married.

Timeline

I'll try to clearlify because so many people don't understand. I'm living in Baltimore Maryland where I live and work, my girlfriend is lives in Central Java Indonesia. Yes we've talked about getting married, I want her to meet my parents as I'm going in February to visit hers, so I can get her fathers blessing. I realize that a Visitors visa maybe the best options for now, but my question was, is the 90 day one better if we both have the blessing from each family to get married? That case she doesn't need to go home at the end of 6month??

Thank you for the advice those, some are very helpful!!

Timeline

I'll try to clearlify because so many people don't understand. I'm living in Baltimore Maryland where I live and work, my girlfriend is lives in Central Java Indonesia. Yes we've talked about getting married, I want her to meet my parents as I'm going in February to visit hers, so I can get her fathers blessing. I realize that a Visitors visa maybe the best options for now, but my question was, is the 90 day one better if we both have the blessing from each family to get married? That case she doesn't need to go home at the end of 6month??

Thank you for the advice those, some are very helpful!!

What 90 day visa? Indonesia is not part of the Visa Waiver Program. With the K1 visa you have 90 days to get married. It is not for visiting parents and get their blessing. The process of K1 can take a few months to almost a year depending on what service center your file is sent to. I would suggest getting the blessing before starting the process though.

Timeline

So you would we get married first?

Thank you for your info!

I did absolutely not say that! Get blessing from your families, get engaged file for K1. I assume you're not engaged yet and that's why you want to get blessed?

Timeline

Because of culture, we both come from traditional backgrounds, I was born in Ghana she grew up in Indonesia. Both our families need to give blessings before we can get married. But engagement does seem the way to go! Thank you!

K-1

I'm going to have to research the process of the K-1, and maybe find out what my part is.

Timeline

Because of culture, we both come from traditional backgrounds, I was born in Ghana she grew up in Indonesia. Both our families need to give blessings before we can get married. But engagement does seem the way to go! Thank you!

K-1

I'm going to have to research the process of the K-1, and maybe find out what my part is.

Aha okay. I am used to the tradition where the guy asks the girls father for permission which is usually done before he proposes to her.

Here is some info about the k-1 visa: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

First of all where is "here" and where is "there"? If "here" is the US and "there" is where she lives than the question is there. You apply for the visa before she comes to the US not afterwards.

If she will only come to visit (You do NOT intend to get married) best option is probably tourist visa. If you do intend to marry her than you might want to consider the K1 visa. Do not try to go over on a tourist visa and then get married.

People come to America often to get married using tourist visas to do so. There is nothing wrong or illegal about marrying while here on a tourist visa then return to their home country.

Timeline

People come to America often to get married using tourist visas to do so. There is nothing wrong or illegal about marrying while here on a tourist visa then return to their home country.

If you enter the states with the intention of getting married on a tourist visa then yes, it is wrong.

Timeline

Thank you so much!!

Yeah it goes both way, she has to approved by my parents for approval to be my wife. I don't like it, but can't help culture.

The complicated part is that my girlfriend is working in China right now, she will be done and back to Indonesia in November. So we can start the process then! It's the waiting that worries me!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.