Floyder

Weak evidence of relationship/bonafide marriage?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My gf is Swedish and she has a child from another previous relationship.

We are wondering what way we should go.

Here's our situation.

I just started a new job where I meet the income needs but as I said I just started working and my previous job was in a family based company hence always paid in hand. Also how do I show my income? Through my paycheck or taxes??

That being said I read they can deny sponsorship when it comes to K1 visa but they have to allow sponsorship when it's for a CR1. Is that true?

I've a family member that probably will be willing to sponsor our case to increase chance of having our application approved.

Also I read this link http://www.***removed***/greencard/***removed***/proof-family-relationship.htmland only proof we have is under 5 and 6 meaning we have no joint property or something else that binds us legally.

Only thing we have is photos and I went to see her for three months so I've passport stamp, photos of her and me together and our skype and Facebook conversation list. Is there something we can do to get more evidence? Our skype conversation list should be a valid proof considering all the time she rants at me and breaks up with me lol kinda obvious no scam there.. Joke aside...

Now we are not yet married as we don't know which way to go but does it matter where we get married? I'm thinking of brining her to the U.S. and get married here, is that a better or worse option or should we get married in Sweden?

Also is it good that she's from Sweden or bad? I read they have a quote for each country hence my question.

Also afraid of filing for the k1 visa as she has a child and we are afraid our application gets denied when they would of already came here and then get deported when she would of let go of apartment lease and everything she has in Sweden.

Please help us if you can as we are miserable being apart from each other!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to the "What Visa Do I Need" forum -- OP is considering visa paths. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

We have met once during spring 2015 for almost three months. Have travel initiary, passport stamp, a few pictures of the both of us together.

Planning for her to come here during summer to get married in the U.S. then that she goes back to Sweden and then we file for the CR1 visa (which is likely the route we will take as k1 feels risky because of our situation).

She also has a child from a previous relationship.

But now to my question: is our skype log, travel initiaries and passport stamp, our future marriage license valid evidence of relationship or will they deny us a cr1 visa if we don't have more evidence than that? We will have met twice before filing for the cr1 visa.

And we started talking online last year in April.

Well you can't apply for CR2 visa if your not married to start with. You could get a K1 visa or just get married and then apply for CR1 visa whilst she is in her home country.

Your post sounds a bit strange you've only met once and before you hope you would have met one more time? Wouldn't you want to spend more time being with that person so you know that you actually can live together before you get married?......., man....., I don't know..... Sounds strange that your worrying about evidence before you have even married her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Well you can't apply for CR2 visa if your not married to start with. You could get a K1 visa or just get married and then apply for CR1 visa whilst she is in her home country.

Your post sounds a bit strange you've only met once and before you hope you would have met one more time? Wouldn't you want to spend more time being with that person so you know that you actually can live together before you get married?......., man....., I don't know..... Sounds strange that your worrying about evidence before you have even married her.

It's CR1 visa, not cr2

you can not use a future marriage license as evidence for a CR-1 visa, The requirement is that you are married not planning on getting married

Why do you think a k-1 visa is risky? why would a CR-1 visa be less risky for you?

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

We have met once during spring 2015 for almost three months. Have travel initiary, passport stamp, a few pictures of the both of us together.

Planning for her to come here during summer to get married in the U.S. then that she goes back to Sweden and then we file for the CR1 visa (which is likely the route we will take as k1 feels risky because of our situation).

She also has a child from a previous relationship.

But now to my question: is our skype log, travel initiaries and passport stamp, our future marriage license valid evidence of relationship or will they deny us a cr1 visa if we don't have more evidence than that? We will have met twice before filing for the cr1 visa.

And we started talking online last year in April.

Most people don't have a ton of evidence before they have physically lived together. If you look at the guides at the top of the page it will give you a long list of potential evidence you can use.

We had the marriage cert, emails and skype, pictures, passports stamps and hotel receipts from our honeymoon. You need to show a good sampling of evidence from the start of the relationship to the present time of filing the petition. Good luck!

Timeline

My husband and I were also torn between the K-1 and the CR-1 visa but on the spousal visa, your future wife gets to work as soon as she enters the US. If she's anything like the typical Swedish woman, she's gonna want to work asap after entering the US. :)

Even though, in my opinion, having a distance relationship for only a year is not very long, it sounds to me like you are really building your relationship, having already spent three months together, the maximum under the VWP. For the CR-1 visa, what they'll be looking for is exactly what you have, face time and communication. So yes, proof of a bona fida relationship would be passport stamps, photos of you two together and with family, communication such as telephone logs/chats/emails etc.

For our bona fida proof, we sent copies of my passports to show all the US stamps (I've been flying over every three months for the past four and a half years), the power of attorney I hold for my husband, a couple of affidavits (which really doesn't carry much weight) and about 10 photos of us together and with family. Our petition was approved within the normal time frame.

FYI! If your future wife is planning on taking your name, she should report this to the Swedish authorities before the wedding on a form she can find on the Swedish tax authority's website. If she chooses to change the name afterwards, it's a little more complicated and it takes a little bit longer.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

Mallafri76 thanks for your help.

I understand it as we also have to report our marriage to the Swedish authorities to get registered as married right?

And do you think it's weak evidence that we have only met once for three months? Before applying for cr1 we will have met twice and be married obviously.

Timeline

mimolicious how do we know if we have a good ground? From the start we have only Skype logs? The travel initiary is from January to April this year. And next time we will meet is for a few weeks during summer to get married. But I mean we spent almost three months together isn't that proof enough our relationship isn't fake?

mimolicious how do we know if we have a good ground? From the start we have only Skype logs? The travel initiary is from January to April this year. And next time we will meet is for a few weeks during summer to get married. But I mean we spent almost three months together isn't that proof enough our relationship isn't fake?

You know what regardless if it is genuine or false, you need to think as an outsider. Look at your relationship as a third party would.

I mean to be totally honest with you, photos, Skype log, emails and texts etc

Anyone can do that......

Personally i would concentrate more on the time you spent together. Flight bookings together, hotels, passport stamps. time you and your wife to be have spent together.

My case isn't a particularly strong one in my opinion. I have been over to see him 4 times and he has been here to UK 2 times so far. But before our petition was filed it was only my traveling to the states. But as we continue our marriage we collect more evidence on the way, which is what naturally happens. So if they request more evidence down the line we natural have occurred more ?

Don't stress to much just live your life and they will request more if needed.

Timeline

Mallafri76 thanks for your help.

I understand it as we also have to report our marriage to the Swedish authorities to get registered as married right?

And do you think it's weak evidence that we have only met once for three months? Before applying for cr1 we will have met twice and be married obviously.

Once you are married, your wife will need to bring the original marriage license (or a certified copy) to the Swedish Tax Authority in person, they only want to take a copy of the original, so she will get it back. After about two weeks, she'll get a birth register (personbevis in Swedish) in the post, which confirms her marriage status as registered. If she chose to change her name before the marriage, either take your last name or add it to hers, then that will also be on the new birth register.

I think if you truly love each other then the evidence will speak for itself. :) Yes you've met twice, but it's long visits so quantity wise, you probably have much more time spent together than many others, even though it's "only" twice.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Have a read through here http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse At the bottom is a huge list of evidence you can use. Once married you can add your wife to your bank account, car insurance, as the beneficiary of life insurance etc.. and those all make great evidence along with photos, travel together, and chat/skype logs.

Best of luck to you.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.