brentos

Medical Question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Asking this in the Canadian forum as I think some more country based advice would be better.

So I still have not gotten NOA2 yet, hopefully in the next 2 months....but the medical has been worrying me and I want to get prepared if need be.

So I am a bit worried about the medical as I have a few issues.

One I am not really in shape...I am pretty overweight and am trying to lose weight but not easy. So I am only 31 but have at times borderline blood-pressure. Will that affect my medical? Or is that something they don't really look at?

I also take a medication for high uric-acid. Is that an issue? Should I need something from my doctor...trying to avoid that as it is so hard to see a doctor here I ended up going to a private clinic...money is kinda tight now so if I need to go for a letter, they will charge...so sucks...but if I have to. What should I ask them that the letter say?

So this next part is a bit long...

When I was in university i suffered from depression. Spoke to a counselor there and they referred me to a psychiatrist who I saw for a good while. At first for an hour to start with every two weeks. He ended up putting me on a very mild anti-depressant (if anyone wants to know more I will answer in private about that). Which i got on and have stayed on for 10 years...he never really saw an issue with it...just told me to keep taking them. I stopped seeing him really and only saw him 15 minutes once every 6 months to say hi, how are you, here is your prescription. Over two years ago he retired as he was going blind. He gave me a one years prescription and then just told me to go see a GP to get it refilled as I don't need to talk to anyone etc. So I saw a GP over a year ago to refill it (at the private clinic). He asked me if I wanted to keep going on it, get off, etc. At the time I was under a lot of stress at work so I didn't think it was the best time to be making changes...so I stayed on it (he also put me on the medication for high uric-acid after the tests). This second year I renewed them about 4 months ago. With a different doctor at the same private clinic (not sure what happened to the old one, when I went to ask for an appointment they just said I would be seeing this new guy). So he renewed it as well...this immigration process is stressful. He said if I was good on it and it is really mild, I can keep going on it till I want to stop then to come see him if that is the case or whatever.

So I don't really know what to do for the medical here. Everyone says to get letters from the doctor saying I am ok or whatever. Is that needed? The other issue is, I am not even sure what I can get the doctor to write. He isn't the one that treated me initially, isn't a psychiatrist...etc...so I am not sure what to do with this one. Even if I stop them now...I know I would still have to say I was on them in the past, so I still not sure what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

USCIS

Spoiler

2015-02-02: Sent I-130

2015-02-04: USCIS Received and transferred to NSC

2015-02-06: NOA1

2015-06-19: NOA2 Email. 133 days between NOA1 and NOA2

2015-06-26: USCIS update that case was sent to NVC

NVC

Spoiler

2015-07-02: Case received by NVC

2015-07-14: Case number assigned when calling on 2015-07-20 but couldn't give emails as case was locked still

2015-07-27: Called and was able to give emails

2015-07-27: Submit DS-261

2015-07-27: Pay AOS Fee

2015-08-25: Receive IV bill

2015-08-26: Pay IV Fee

2015-09-05: Submit DS-260

2015-09-07: Sent AOS and IV package via EP

2015-10-11: Resubmit via EP after being told to do so on 2015-10-09 as it looked like our original emails were lost

2015-10-16: Received email for scan date of 2015-10-12. Told that basically nothing can be done and we need to wait 30 days from 2015-10-12 (30+ days lost because they lost our emails)

2015-10-26: Told case is basically complete but that they are building my electronic file. Told there is no timeline for this.

2015-10-30 & 2015-11-13: Still told no update. Building electronic file still and no timeline.

2015-11-17: Case Complete

2015-12-03: Receive packet 4

2015-12-15: Medical

2015-12-18: Medical picked up results

2016-01-12: Interview - Approved!

2016-02-03: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One I am not really in shape...I am pretty overweight and am trying to lose weight but not easy. So I am only 31 but have at times borderline blood-pressure. Will that affect my medical? Or is that something they don't really look at?

I also take a medication for high uric-acid. Is that an issue? Should I need something from my doctor...trying to avoid that as it is so hard to see a doctor here I ended up going to a private clinic...money is kinda tight now so if I need to go for a letter, they will charge...so sucks...but if I have to. What should I ask them that the letter say?

I'm afraid I can't really help you with the second part of the post but the first part reminds me of how worried I was with my health. I have rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and a few other issues and am on expensive strong medications (I take injections for the RA and have been on disability and a wheelchair in the past). I was really concerned about how this might impact my medical but the doctor didn't seem to care other than ask me about it. We made sure to provide proof that my now husband had medical insurance that would take me so I wouldn't become a liability or whatever the term was, as well as a letter from my doctor summarizing my medical condition and medication but emphasizing that it was under control, but I don't think they even looked at it. I also was unable to be fully vaccinated for the mandatory measles shot due to being on an immune suppressant but he gave me a waiver for that. Long story short I was really worried and had zero issues.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The fact that I had to pay $300 for the medical exam led me to believe that this was going to be a thorough exam. Well, guess what? It's not. I just had mine yesterday. Go to the doctor, he asks if you're healthy, checks your blood pressure, then tells you to go to the lab to get an x-ray to check for TB and blood test for syphillis. Obviously it might differ from doctor to doctor, but my mom who applied to Australia had the same experience at another doctor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't tell you how much I STRESSED OUT COMPLETELY about the medical. I think I gave myself medical issues just stressing about it :P

I have a few health issues myself, and read online that the best thing to do would be to get a letter from my doctor. Did that. After picking up the note a few days after my appointment (for some reason it took days for my doctor to write ~10 words), I noticed that the doctor put on my note that I had diabetes. Which I don't. So I panicked, because my flight to Toronto for the medical was in two days. So I called and called and called until I finally got through to my doctor and begged her to write me a new note.. which she did.. and I picked up at the last minute... in which she wrote that I had some medical conditions, but didn't state what my medications were (which I thought was absolutely necessary). Anyway I totally freaked out.. but at that point I couldn't do anything about it.

Turns out, Dr. Mascarhenas didn't even ask if I had a note from my doctor. He didn't even check anything on me at all. He just asked me a few questions and wrote stuff on a sheet of paper. That's it. I have a review of my visit posted if you want to read it.

They really only seem to be worried about tuberculosis and STDs from Canadians. The rest, they don't care.

You'll be fine at your medical!!!!!

IR1/CR1 Visa - We are using a lawyer!

Embassy: Montreal, Canada

USCIS

22 Jan 2013 -- packageSent
31 Jan 2013 -- NOA1 from NBC

6 Mar 2013 -- I130 transferred to Orlando local field office (which started the whole nightmare)

Mar 2013 to October 2013 no one would tell us where our case was or what was happening. I suspected the whole time it was just sitting in a corner somewhere in the Orlando field office. I was pretty much right.

October 2013 - get congressman involved. Congressman asks USCIS repeatedly about our case but they won't even tell them anything.

31 Jan 2014- finally get NOA2!!!! (we think the nightmare is over!)

NVC

Our case was not sent from the Orlando field office as it should have been. The nightmare continues. We kept calling NVC and asking if they received our case, and they always said "NO" and that we had to wait 90 business days for it to be received. We called USCIS during this time and they kept telling us it had been sent. After the 90 days of agonizing frustration, NVC then started telling us we had to wait 120 business days. I got our congressman involved again, and they told the congressman it was sitting at the Orlando office this whole time (just as I thought it was!).

22 Apr 2014 -- NVC received
16 May 2014 -- NVC case number assigned
24 May 2014 -- AoS and IV bills paid

28 May 2014 -- Sent AoS and IV Packages

6 June 2014 -- documents scanned

18 July 2014 -- false checklist from NVC

21 July 2014 -- Case complete

28 July 2014 -- receive case complete email from NV

30 July 2014 -- interview booked! September 11 here I come!

Embassy
04 Sept 2014 -- Medical
11 Sept 2014 -- Interview - APPROVED!!!!
15 Sept 2014 -- Package arrived at Loomis location!!!

**03 Oct 2014 -- POE!! **

I NOW LIVE IN OCALA, FL!!!!

Medicals are super easy. No worries. Unless you're severely depressed or have a communicable disease like syphilis or TB, you're pretty much fine.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I'm still worried just because I'm not sure if I should try to get letters from the doctors just in case or what. Not sure how the doctors in Montreal are. I know in the info from nvc they say if you have suffered depression that you need a letter. So not sure what the doctor will ask.

I've never had severe depression, but have taken something for 10 years haha.

USCIS

Spoiler

2015-02-02: Sent I-130

2015-02-04: USCIS Received and transferred to NSC

2015-02-06: NOA1

2015-06-19: NOA2 Email. 133 days between NOA1 and NOA2

2015-06-26: USCIS update that case was sent to NVC

NVC

Spoiler

2015-07-02: Case received by NVC

2015-07-14: Case number assigned when calling on 2015-07-20 but couldn't give emails as case was locked still

2015-07-27: Called and was able to give emails

2015-07-27: Submit DS-261

2015-07-27: Pay AOS Fee

2015-08-25: Receive IV bill

2015-08-26: Pay IV Fee

2015-09-05: Submit DS-260

2015-09-07: Sent AOS and IV package via EP

2015-10-11: Resubmit via EP after being told to do so on 2015-10-09 as it looked like our original emails were lost

2015-10-16: Received email for scan date of 2015-10-12. Told that basically nothing can be done and we need to wait 30 days from 2015-10-12 (30+ days lost because they lost our emails)

2015-10-26: Told case is basically complete but that they are building my electronic file. Told there is no timeline for this.

2015-10-30 & 2015-11-13: Still told no update. Building electronic file still and no timeline.

2015-11-17: Case Complete

2015-12-03: Receive packet 4

2015-12-15: Medical

2015-12-18: Medical picked up results

2016-01-12: Interview - Approved!

2016-02-03: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I'm still worried just because I'm not sure if I should try to get letters from the doctors just in case or what. Not sure how the doctors in Montreal are. I know in the info from nvc they say if you have suffered depression that you need a letter. So not sure what the doctor will ask.

I've never had severe depression, but have taken something for 10 years haha.

Maybe you can call and ask them how much they charge for a letter? My doctor charged $50 and basically had me write him a sample letter he could edit as necessary and add his name to. Mind you he'd known me his whole life. I didn't need an appointment - I just dropped it off and picked it up.

It might ease your worries to get one just in case. I didn't need mine but having it made me feel much better.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.